Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Do I leave the Van on hook up

Matt Robins

Matt Robins

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi All

So I have purchased my first Cali a couple of months ago, it is purely a weekend adventure vehicle. while it is sitting it on the drive I have left it plugged in with a mains hook up cable. My question is will this damage anything or will it help anything. My cali is a 2014 SE

thanks for the help

Matt

Hi All

So I have purchased my first Cali a couple of months ago, it is purely a weekend adventure vehicle. while it is sitting it on the drive I have left it plugged in with a mains hook up cable. My question is will this damage anything or will it help anything. My cali is a 2014 SE

thanks for the help

Matt
Wouldn’t do any harm. No different to being on a campsite plugged into the Mains. You could use a timer on the Mains lead to switch on the Mains periodically and save a few pence.

Lots been discussed about hook-up and lesure battery charge in sevral existing treads in the electrical section of the forum.
I've been told that keeping it plugged in at all time when not in use is not all that good for the battery's.
It just needs a 24h cyclus every 3-4weeks when the Cali sits stationary.
Best to put a timer between or unplug it after 24h if you leave it parked up .

If you use your Cali every weekend there should be no trouble , just plug it in every 3-4 weeks for 24h and don't worry to much ....

Even much as important is to use the battery's and let them go to a lower level once a while...

I sometimes leave mine hooked up for 4/5 days.
Not all the time though.

Don´t forget to give your heater a good workout every now
and then. :thumb

We leave ours plugged in 3 months on the trot.
We are now on well into our 4th year with the same batteries just done a couple of thousand miles offgrid for upto 3 days at a time with fridge running on 6. Ambient temp was quite cool anyway. We did go for a drive most days and plugged in at campsites every few days.
I assume if you leave it plugged in the BMS is supposed to take care of everything.
Ours seems to, so I never worry too much about leaving it plugged in sometimes we leave the fridge on while at home as we pop out every few days and don't want to wait for it to chill down in summer.

This time of year mines on hook up with a small mains dehumidifier running.

We too have left ours on charge for 3/4 months at a time no probs . Our boat is always on smart charge 500 amp hrs alongside .

We leave ours plugged in 3 months on the trot.
We are now on well into our 4th year with the same batteries just done a couple of thousand miles offgrid for upto 3 days at a time with fridge running on 6. Ambient temp was quite cool anyway. We did go for a drive most days and plugged in at campsites every few days.
I assume if you leave it plugged in the BMS is supposed to take care of everything.
Ours seems to, so I never worry too much about leaving it plugged in sometimes we leave the fridge on while at home as we pop out every few days and don't want to wait for it to chill down in summer.

Hi Everyone,
I do similar to the above, ie leave it plugged in for long lengths of time whilst it’s parked in garage.
My thinking is that with modern day electronics within the onboard charging and float system should be able to monitor and deliver to the battery what is required.
Such as some of the off shelf minders/chargers that are recommended to be attached to all battery types when vehicle is not used for long periods of time.

It’s and interesting topic we’re it can be expensive if i get it wrong.

I'd be very surprised if it did any damage. Leaving a lead acid battery on trickle charge is actually good for it. They lose charge over time naturally, so having a low current trickle charge keeps a lead acid battery in good order. Unlike Lithium batteries, which benefit from being stored 50 - 80% full rather than 100% full.

All the solar regulators I sell permanently trickle charge the battery/ies. It is good practice.

My summer car sits in the garage on a trickle charger permanently (over winter).

I have the opposite query: I've had my cali 10 years now, and have only rarely put the leisure batteries on charge at home (usually before a camping trip). I run my cali maybe 4-5 times a week all the year round, including a 150-mile trip about every 7-10 days, and this seems to keep the leisure batteries in reasonably good nick (only changed them once in 10 years). Is regular running enough to keep the leisure batteries OK? - it certainly seems to be in my case.

I have the opposite query: I've had my cali 10 years now, and have only rarely put the leisure batteries on charge at home (usually before a camping trip). I run my cali maybe 4-5 times a week all the year round, including a 150-mile trip about every 7-10 days, and this seems to keep the leisure batteries in reasonably good nick (only changed them once in 10 years). Is regular running enough to keep the leisure batteries OK? - it certainly seems to be in my case.

If I recall correctly, the engine will only charge the battery to 80%. The advice is to top it up on hookup to 100% at least once a month (a solar panel on the roof charging the leisure battery when the sun is up removes this need).

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

If I recall correctly, the engine will only charge the battery to 80%. The advice is to top it up on hookup to 100% at least once a month (a solar panel on the roof charging the leisure battery when the sun is up removes this need).

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu
Only vehicles with “ BlueMotion “ technology which includes Stop/Start and Regenerative Braking etc: do this, only charge the vehicle Batteries to 80% or so.
This technology was not fitted routinely, was a cost option, on the early T5s .
The OP vehicle is 10 yrs old, so might not have the system and so might be capable of charging all Batteries to 100%, with regular use and longish trips.

If our batteries are not full eg. 70% and we go on a long drive the overhead display shows 100% and the 2 little icons are totally full. We have the T5.1 with Blue motion,Stop Start and regen braking. So is the overhead display correct displaying 100%

If our batteries are not full eg. 70% and we go on a long drive the overhead display shows 100% and the 2 little icons are totally full. We have the T5.1 with Blue motion,Stop Start and regen braking. So is the overhead display correct displaying 100%
Probably showing 100% of 80% maximum charge of the Blue Motion system. Doubt if anybody at VW or the company that makes the Control Panel to factor that into the calculations.
Just plug into the Mains 24hrs before a camping trip while the Fridge is cooling down then you'll start the trip with a cold fridge and 100% Leisure Battery charge.

Explains why many members say that 20 minutes with the engine running puts the Leisure Batteries back to 100% ( in reality 80% ).

Mine has a Solar Panel and lives outside, so apart from night time has been on charge for the past 4 years.
ps. I also seem to get something from the LED street light shining on the panel. Certainly the voltage is greater than 12.7. Didn't use to happen when the light was fitted with a Sodium Bulb.:D

I have got one of those cheap gadgets that you plug into the cigarette lighter socket.
It has an LED display showing voltage.
Assuming they are fairly accurate, if I plug into the Cigarette lighter on the dash and then after into the Cigarette lighter socket on the kitchen unit.
What voltage values represent 100% 90% 80% etc.???
Must be a few sparkies on this forum. Thank you