Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Does the T6 Cali still need a roof topper?

Romke

Making the Most of our Coast
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Coast 150 4Motion
We're quietly thinking about replacing our T5 Beach with a T6 Coast. I understand that the canvas on the T6 Cali is now made of "waterproof" polyester/cotton rather than just cotton. Has any T6 owner been out in heavy rain yet and tested the waterproofing without a topper? I realize that we'd have to close the "windows" during rain but the space-saving of not carrying our topper would be great.

A topper has other benefits ,
Keeps more heat in , snow and ice free roof , no wet canvas when closing the roof ,....
Do not know either if the new canvas on T6 is more waterproof , not to much have give info so far .

Currently sitting on a field at an agility comp in Scotland - wouldn't have roof up without liner AND topper - not just for waterproofing or warmth (coolness in summer) but because it's a great insulator of noise and hundres of dogs make rather a lot of noise...

We have a T6 and used it for the first time this weekend. I have no comparison but the canvas on the T6 does feel a bit waterproofy (technical term) - having read posts on here previously I was expecting the canvas to be more like old style tent where if you touched it rain would come in but it wasn't like that. We did have significant rain overnight but no leaking through. Interestingly though I've just come on here to ask about the pro's and con's of internal v external topper as whilst no rain got into the top it was bloody cold up there.

Took our new T6 out the other weekend to North Wales. It was raining hard and 40mph winds and we had no leaks of any description with no topper.
On the other hand it took two days for us and the dogs to dry out :)

Many thanks everyone , helpful feedback. Will try camping first in our Ocean before buying anything.
Like the sound of the Cali cozy to help keep us cosy upstairs. Our preferred place to sleep. Downstairs for the westies.

Took our new T6 out the other weekend to North Wales. It was raining hard and 40mph winds and we had no leaks of any description with no topper.
On the other hand it took two days for us and the dogs to dry out :)
Bit of a conflicting opinion with another member on the Beginners forum who was also in Wales and their canvas leaked badly. I'm a bit surprised at such extreme variations.

I would have a topper so no one can see through the fabric

We too have noticed this but assumed it was normal, we have also just come back from a wet weekend ( not heavy rain ) and our bellows was very wet by the morning so had to put it down on top of the mattress (which is also now wet) We have had the roof up all morning in the sun and it is still not 100% dry. I don't remember having this problem with the T5 Cali we hired back last March.

Is this canvas not as good as the T5 one?

It's a strange T 6 world , full of contradictions. It's why the forum is so helpful .
We will still try first before spending lots on a topper. My husband is keen on a solar panel .

We were in Pembrokeshire in our T6 Ocean over the weekend
Slept in the roof - heavy rain & strong winds early Sunday morning
No Topper - occasionally felt some rain drops coming though the side but no problems

The canvas will not let water/rain through unless something is touching the inside. So if you lower the roof with a wet canvas the upstairs mattress will get wet, or if you press against the bellows when it is raining then water can wicked through.

Rain nearly every day last week in the Lakes including one exceptionally foul day. No issues with leaks or wet canvas on our T6. Big thumbs up. I could see the benefits from a warmth perspective as there was a big temperature differential between up and down. As we are heading into the warmer months we will see how it goes as everything takes storage space.

• Agree
Reactions: DM
I camp all year round and have never used a topper.

I do sleep downstairs though and normally do not have enough company with me to warrant the top bed being used.

The canvas roof does not leak if nothing is rubbing against it, in horizontal rain moisture can come through the vents but it has never discouraged me, I would not want ventilation covered up anyway.

The heater has coped with the cold with lots to spare and in very cold weather dropping the upper bed at night has made the place a very cosy and warm place to sleep in.

I do not stay very long in one place, I think last year my average stop time was around 1.4 days, so the faffing around of unpacking, putting the topper on, taking the topper off, packing .... for mostly just one night has not been worthwhile.

We have a basic Cali Topper, takes couple of mins to put on/take off....warmer, keeps the canvas dry so no problems when roof lowered....packs away into one of the chairs in the boot...wouldn't be without it...

I have had one weekend sleeping downstairs with the dogs and the van was sodden inside (total downpour as well). Even after an hour drive home the windows in habitation area were still sodden. So for me with two dogs and wet weather agility comps it's roof up (with Comfortz liner) and a topper. No problems with rain getting in and little condensation in the mornings. As per WG's recommemdations I kept the heater on 1 and plenty of ventilation. Worked a treat.

Agree with (most) others. We slept upstairs in our T6 in the Yorkshire Dales in strong wind and driving rain. It was bone dry but very cold. We lowered the roof with the canvas still wet. I put it up at home expecting the mattress to be damp - but it wasn't. Still bone dry inside. I'm not going to bother with a topper over the summer and will possibly get an internal for next winter. We will generally move around a lot and will want to use the van for transport even if staying in an area for a few nights so the internal will be much more convenient. However I am inclined to think that I'd still want an external if staying in one place for several nights in the winter (e.g. skiing).

Last edited:
T6 Beach no topper sleeping upstairs all conditions - no problem with wet weather quite like the cold with cosy duvet. When windy and wet we do experience fine spray coming in through the top vents, but no leaks very impressed. would like to think i can live without a topper