Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dometic CFX3 35 or or larger or smaller, or next best

BluebellCali2016

BluebellCali2016

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Looking for a used Dometic CFX3 35, which seems to be the fridge of choice for all the posted reasons. But also willing to consider the 28 and 40, or next best brand and want to know what others chose in the end. If we get a 40 then it has to go up front unless we remove the bench. Or do we go with next best such as Alpicool or some other?

I know it's not used but have you looked at the smaller capacity fridge/freezer from National Luna. They're built to last with a good compressor warranty.

Looking for a used Dometic CFX3 35, which seems to be the fridge of choice for all the posted reasons. But also willing to consider the 28 and 40, or next best brand and want to know what others chose in the end. If we get a 40 then it has to go up front unless we remove the bench. Or do we go with next best such as Alpicool or some other?
Hi, we have the Dometic CFX 28 since 2020 and it's working perfectly. I brought the CFX28 as it was one of the less noisy fridges. We have it in the back of our Beach on a draw from Calitop: https://calitop.eu/calispace-beach-212.html?language=de

Mobicool MCF40. Brilliant bit of kit.
I've got the mobicool 32 and is excellent. Cheaper than the dometic, runs off normal plug or 12v and has worked when very warm outside

We have owned a 2nd hand Dometic CFX3 35 for many years without any issues.

Our van has solar panels fitted so it’s been running continuously 24/7 for about 3 years and is still going strong.

Very well insulated so use very little energy so won’t draw too much power off the batteries.

It’s an excellent size and will also fit under the MFB on a sliding boot tray.

I know it's not used but have you looked at the smaller capacity fridge/freezer from National Luna. They're built to last with a good compressor warranty.

Thanks, looks good. Similar price to Dometic.

We have owned a 2nd hand Dometic CFX3 35 for many years without any issues.

Our van has solar panels fitted so it’s been running continuously 24/7 for about 3 years and is still going strong.

Very well insulated so use very little energy so won’t draw too much power off the batteries.

It’s an excellent size and will also fit under the MFB on a sliding boot tray.
That’s reassuring to hear. I think this would still be our preference.

BC'16, maybe consider the Totalfreeze 35 from Totalcool. We have had one since October 2022, used it as an addition at Xmas and it has been excellent. It sits under the bench and currently on offer £230 from £429with their 2 year warranty. Good luck with the search.

Apologies, just checked in the garage where it is permanently used, it's the Totalfreeze 45 (and also fits under the Cali bench) currently on offer direct from the company £250 down from £480.
We bought ours at the NEC exhibition from the company, the 45 was a much better deal than the 35.

Hi does anyone have experience of using a total freeze and a domestic CFx 35? We are looking to get one of these. if you aunt on hook up how long do both of these stay cool for?

I mean aren't on hook up!
I have a cfx 35 & Beach T6,
Always put the van on hook up for 24hrs before a trip and at least once a month, to fully charge the Leisure battery.

I always pre cool my fridge whilst plugged into 240v at home, set fridge on minus 4c , then when -4c achieved, load it up with pre chilled food , drink etc (from the home fridge)

when fully loaded for the trip, reset the 2 or 3c, let it run until the fridge achieves & holds that temp For an hour or so.

When I’m ready to go on the road I transfer the fridge to the van 12v socket and set the fridge to 4c.

my fridge will last four days no probelem (I have never had it cut out due to low battery even in really hot weather. )

The CFX35 has various voltage protection setting to prevent flat batteries, which I have never seen kick in .

if you are going to be going in and out of thd fridge regularly for drinks etc, get a small cooler bag and place those items in it so to prevent / reduce the incidence of opening thd fridge (wine, beer, pop, cooking time etc, etc)

Last edited:
Anyone looking for a 35L fridge just now Amazon have Alpicool CF35 at £211 + £40 discount voucher at the checkout so £171.

I would buy a fridge with a quality Danfoss/Secop BD35 compressor.

You could by three alps CF35 for the price of one Dometic CFx35 !

I have a CFX35, great but expensive