Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Drive away awning assistance

K

KBR

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi All,

I've just purchased a Kampa Cross Air awning and realise I don't really know much about the logistics of this. I was hoping for some advice/comments on the following points if anyone can assist!

- What do I need to connect this to the van? Is it a 4mm - 6mm kador or 6mm to 6mm kador? What sort of length? My van is a T5 Cali with the standard awning housing.
- Along with the kador strip, I assume I need a figure of 8 connector. Looks like they come in metre long sections.... how many would I need?
- Is a footprint essential, a good idea or not really necessary?
- Is it best to purchase the specific carpet for these awnings or is it a cheaper and better option just to find generic carpet?
- Stupid question.... when pitching, how do you know where to position the awning so that the tunnel is the correct distance from the van? Or is it a case of pitch it and move the van in range afterwards?
- Any other tips or gotchas for general usage or pitching?

I really should have done more research on this before buying but I seem to make lots of impulse purchases for the van :)

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

I cannot speak of the Kango awning....I have Vango.

I have footprint but after 2 trips I realised it was a waste of time.

I use a pair of breathable groundsheets that I align with the side wheels, and work back from there.

Align the doorway with the opened side door, peg down and everything then just spans out from here.

Don't worry about attaching the awning to the van until the awning is fully erected.

Roll out the van awning a couple of feet to ease attachment of kador strip, then wind back in to maintain tension.

The breathable groundsheets do a number of things....
1. assist with alignment of awning.
2. assist with alignment of van if you drive away and return.
3. provide dry walk area around awning
4. provide dry area to disassemble and pack awning

simply fold up into waterproof bags and wash down and dry when you get home.

The waterproof zipped clothing/laundry bags from IKEA work a treat here.

Reactions: KBR
Get one of these as its multipurpose, and comes with figure of 8 connector:

- 4mm will connect to Thule roll out awning
- 6mm+4mm beads combined will connect to vans black awning rail:

Footprint is good as can help prevent damp from coming thru, givers protection from thorns etc that may tear the awning base &will keep mud off the awning base.

Positioning is trial an error - once have got it right, cut a small length of nylon rope to mark the distance from awning to van & use a guide for future trips. When set up put a peg by the van wheel when you go out for the day, and line the van up to the peg when you get back...or just use as a standalone awning!

Last edited:
So many questions! But the same ones we asked last year when buying one ;-)

Kador strip - depends on your wind out awning type. Ours (for 2021 Cali) is a Thule and 4mm, and we needed 6mm figure of 8 for the awning, so 4/6mm. However your van may different, so I’d defer to those who know. We also bought 6/6mm by mistake!

Figure of 8 strips - same length as your wind out bit of the awning, in our case 2.52m so 3 x 1m strips. Best to cut to length (hacksaw), also the Kador strip, as any overhang prevents you winding the awning back tight into its housing.

Footprint? 100% yes, especially if you pitch on hard standing. Also saves messing your normal groundsheet.

Carpet? We just use rugs that can be cleaned/ washed.

Stupid question? EDIT - I misread the question. A bit of trial and error. We found it easier to move the semi-erected awning to get a better result. To be honest, we’ve pitched it around 4 times, and each time we‘ve learned a bit more. We have a Vango Kela and still can’t quite get a neat fit against the van. Next time it’ll be perfect!!

Other tips? Get a couple of high viz guy ropes/ rope, and dome pegs. When you’ve pitched, mark your “runway” both sides, starting at the front wheels, and ending at the rear wheels. When driving back to reconnect your awning, use the runway to position, and the awning should connect perfectly.

Also - take a look at websites like Attwools where there are videos on all of this.

Last edited:
I watched a YouTube video which helped with how to attach the awning to my t5 California. I have a pitch marker which I left level with my front wheel, although the first time we used it I was also using levellers for the first time.

Thanks for the responses so far. One additional thing I forgot to ask... might be another stupid question. The awning will of course be attached on the driver's side, which is also the side I believe that the diesel heater vents from. Does this mean the heater can't be used when the awning is up.... would we get all the diesel smell in there coming through the tunnel into the main part of the awning? Just thinking of a scenario where I am chilling in the awning but the kids are in the roof of the van and need some warmth.

Thanks for the responses so far. One additional thing I forgot to ask... might be another stupid question. The awning will of course be attached on the driver's side, which is also the side I believe that the diesel heater vents from. Does this mean the heater can't be used when the awning is up.... would we get all the diesel smell in there coming through the tunnel into the main part of the awning? Just thinking of a scenario where I am chilling in the awning but the kids are in the roof of the van and need some warmth.
Yes you are right. If the wind blows in the right direction you can smell diesel fumes.

We bought a plastic baffle that clips between the front and rear wheels, pegs to the ground and effectively seals off the area under the van. Was around £20.

On one occasion, before we bought the baffle, we had ducks wondering beneath the van and in to the awning.

You will have the potential of diesel smells no matter which side the awning is attached to, if the wind is wrong, it’s pot luck. Last autumn we used the diesel heater a couple of times and then I slept in the awning with no noticeable smell.

If you’re concerned though, and you’re on an electric hookup, you could invest in a little electric heater (“free” power - might as well use it)

Yes you are right. If the wind blows in the right direction you can smell diesel fumes.

We bought a plastic baffle that clips between the front and rear wheels, pegs to the ground and effectively seals off the area under the van. Was around £20.

On one occasion, before we bought the baffle, we had ducks wondering beneath the van and in to the awning.
Might be good for inquisitive foxes snooping around, which we’ve also had. Where did you find the baffle if I can ask?

Kador strip - depends on your wind out awning type. Ours (for 2021 Cali) is a Thule and 4mm, and we needed 6mm figure of 8 for the awning, so 4/6mm. However your van may different, so I’d defer to those who know. We also bought 6/6mm by mistake!
Panicked me a bit there, have bought 6mm/6mm for our 6.1 with standard windout awning, but haven't had opportunity to attach to van yet! Have just been out to check and a 6mm on the awning does fit!
Although have bought 2 different 6mm/6mm straps and only 1 of them fits :headbang

We have a footprint, lay it out first, helps protect DA when you're pulling it around on the ground or folding away.

We don't have a skirt just yet, but do keep looking at this one:

Might be good for inquisitive foxes snooping around, which we’ve also had. Where did you find the baffle if I can ask?
It was bought via ebay. The seller is just-kampers. The price has risen but still available. It works for us.

Panicked me a bit there, have bought 6mm/6mm for our 6.1 with standard windout awning, but haven't had opportunity to attach to van yet! Have just been out to check and a 6mm on the awning does fit!
Although have bought 2 different 6mm/6mm straps and only 1 of them fits :headbang

We have a footprint, lay it out first, helps protect DA when you're pulling it around on the ground or folding away.

Well, well, well! Here’s a bit of learning for us! Last year, as our Cali order was delayed, we hired a friends new Ocean 6.1 (MY21) for our Sept holiday. We bought our drive-away awning ahead of this, plus a Vango drive-away kit with a 6/6mm kador strip. Just ahead of hiring, I found out the wind-out awning had a 4mm channel, and so then bought a 4/6mm Vango kit - which worked a treat.

Fast forward to Feb 22, we finally had our own van delivered (MY22). Until I read your post, I’d assumed (and not checked) we’d still be using the 4/6 kit. BUT NO, the channel on this wind-out awning is 6mm, and so we‘ll get to use the 6/6 kit after all! So thanks for this spot, saves head scratching when we get to our first site, although I still find it hard to understand why the spec changed.

I would just add, we might still have got away with the 4/6 kit, but it’s not right.

• Love
Reactions: Sad

Footprint is good as can help prevent damp from coming thru, givers protection from thorns etc that may tear the awning base &will keep mud off the awning base.

Positioning is trial an error - once have got it right, cut a small length of nylon rope to mark the distance from awning to van & use a guide for future trips. When set up put a peg by the van wheel when you go out for the day, and line the van up to the peg when you get back...or just use as a standalone awning!
Now updated with correct link!...

Interestingly just watched an Attwools video and he attached to the van before pegging out. Which I guess removes the trial and error issue. Marking wheel position when driving away is a good plan.

Interestingly just watched an Attwools video and he attached to the van before pegging out. Which I guess removes the trial and error issue. Marking wheel position when driving away is a good plan.
That is the best way, certainly for the first time, but I like the advice of @Ch1pbutty in having a ‘string‘ measure. You could even use the figure-of-8 sections marked to measure the required gap.

We studied and followed the Attwools video for our first go. If someone recorded us doing it, and sped it up, it would’ve been like a Charlie Chaplin movie - anyway I’m sure it gave amusement to our fellow campers!

That is the best way, certainly for the first time, but I like the advice of @Ch1pbutty in having a ‘string‘ measure. You could even use the figure-of-8 sections marked to measure the required gap.

We studied and followed the Attwools video for our first go. If someone recorded us doing it, and sped it up, it would’ve been like a Charlie Chaplin movie - anyway I’m sure it gave amusement to our fellow campers!
In that video he seems to adjust the peg nearest the van around 3 separate times. Should that one be slightly under the van to make a good seal for the tunnel?

Yes, we try and tuck it under as far as possible - sometimes a challenge to get the peg in on a hard standing pitch. It might depend on the style of awning you have I guess. Don’t forget to remove before driving off !!

I always thought it good practice to attach to the van first to save it blowing off site while inflating...
Once attached though, suggestion is normally then to pegout which means some 'guess' work

Just tested out my newly arrived 6mm to 6mm kador and fits a treat. Just need to cut to size for the rail. Am I right in thinking I should cut both kador and figure 8 to same length as my awning rail? Ta.

• Love
Reactions: Sad
You don’t need to be quite as precise with the length of the fig of 8 as it sits outside the awning housing. We tried it quite a bit longer at first but all that happened was the drive away awning pulled/ bent the strips down when the awning was tensioned.

Last edited:
Back