Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Drive away awning- I know it’s been asked too many times

Having time to listen to others I am now back to whether or not to have the drive away awning. Whatever i got would have to have a sleeping compartment and that seem to make the whole option much bigger than i want to handle. I will keep looking and thinking about it and how much space it will take up at home the rest of the year

Having time to listen to others I am now back to whether or not to have the drive away awning. Whatever i got would have to have a sleeping compartment and that seem to make the whole option much bigger than i want to handle. I will keep looking and thinking about it and how much space it will take up at home the rest of the year
We have the Kela for occasional use. We also have an accessory in the form of a sleeping pod that goes inside, hangs from the ceiling but can be lowered out of the way during the day. My 15 year old 6’3“ son sleeps in the Kela and we can store chairs, table coats outdoor gear at the same time. I would say the Kela is a good quality mid sized awning but even still the pack size is quite large and heavy so we only take it for longer stays. It is very comfortable if you opt to buy the internal carpet too

As with most awnings fitted to a Cali you do have to be careful about turning on the heating as the exhaust vents to the side where you would put up your awning.

We started out years ago with a Kyham awning. Didn't use it much so sold it and then couple of years later bought a blow up Galli because we liked the porch area for cooking. We found it far more difficult and time consuming to erect (and take down) than the Kyham, also took up more storage space in the van. So we now have another Kyham. Very well built, stands up to wind well, and as the poles are integral it's very easy to erect and take down. Comes out of the bag, lift it up from the middle and then snap the poles together using the sliding connectors. Taking down is a reversal.

Back