Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Drive away tents if I have an awning

Rozzie50

Rozzie50

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I have an awning, but I also want a little extra space. Have looked at the Khyam drive away tents I like them but not clear how to attach them if the rail holds the awning. I was also looking into the side awnings but they're VERY expensive and don't give any privacy and look like they won't be very protective in bad weather. Only other alternative is a stand alone tent.

Any suggestions??? :help

Hi there,

The Kyham attaches to the edge of the awning... you'll notice a c-channel along the edge.

You fit a Kador strip (or similar), the a figure of 8 strip joins this to the awning beading.

Easier than it sounds.

Take a look at this... it show the whole process on a Cali with a Kyham:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=201lRePl5Ss

Hope this helps.

We don't use our any more, we've had side panels from californiacamping.de for the past three year. Seals all round with velcro flaps. We've used it in very bad weather. (Wind, rain etc) but to be fair, it doesn't seal as well as a full driveaway.

Rgds
Mark

Thanks Mark,

So which do you recommend? Did you get your sides from Brandup or somewhere else. They look a lot neater and probably take less time!

Rozzie50 said:
Thanks Mark,

So which do you recommend? Did you get your sides from Brandup or somewhere else. They look a lot neater and probably take less time!

More than welcome.

To be honest, it's a matter of personal preference.

The Kyham (or similar) is quicker if you are driving away from the site regularly... it stays put. Also offers more internal space. (It's probably also cheaper) Disadvantage is that it takes up a significant amount of space inside..

Side panels... Ulli at http://www.californiacamping.de made them up for us a long time ago out of the same material as the Mutze. (Matches our roof) They're a standard product now. They can be put on in a few different configurations (5 different panels)... Big, big advantage for us was they pack down much smaller.

We frequently use the end panels and a windblocker side panel... keeps the wind out but is more sociable

Rgds

Mark

We use the Khyam awnings on all our rentals, and at the end of last year added the brandrup side panels for the sun canopy, and when attached you really do get a lot of useable space. :thumb

Both very easy to attach, and de-attach.

http://www.california-accessories.com/v ... anels.html

I thought these looked good. The brand up are double the price. There's only 2 of us so it's really just space to put shoes and extras and a little privacy for the porta potti! Especially if used with a windbreak!!! I'm sure that 2 sides will work. (I hope). It looks like they're very quick to put up and that's what we want so this might be a good option to start with...

I like the idea of always going with VW Brandup but it's at least another £100!!!

Thought I'd post this...

It shows the californiacamping setup on one of our trips.

This is done using three of the panels, plenty of space... the front can also be closed off and have a very private area. Corners sealed unlike simple panels... important in rain and wind.

Better than most in my opinion and our have held up VERY well over three years of intensive use.

[album]532[/album]

Lots of options out there now though. A couple of people have even made their own.

Rgds
mark

Mark,

Have emailed them re prices etc. Thanks for advice. I like the idea that they're so flexible and easy to take down. Don't really need to leave a tent up and these should take minutes to put up!!!!

Roz

We have the Khyman Classic Dome which we have used in Spain in high winds - In order to close the sliding door have the awning pulled out by two inches (Thanks to advice on this forum!!).
Created a great deal of space which when all the pegs are placed means the dogs can't get out!!! We cook in the tent with a microwave and electric hob - BBQ in the Summer outside!!
Driving away is easy just mark where your tyres were with the Chocs or by marking the ground - Has made such a difference to our camping trips - We even hang lights from the Dome.
Hopefully photos attached!!......
We have also purchased some magnetic lights which we attach to the doors and our daugher has given us some magnetic speakers!!!

Outside.jpg Inside.jpg

ARe: Drive away tents if I have an awning

Thanks. Great pics. Currently looking at 3 sided awning sides vs the motordome!

Now to decide....

PS. We met some people on the campsite from La Manga who had a Full Size Campervan and they were selling their side panels as they couldn't sit outside in bad weather and they wanted more privacy which a full awning gives.
Good Luck in your decision
:D

PPS... Good point mentioned by husband - It depends how long you stay at a campsite - If it is longer than two days then the "Dome", which does take 5 minutes to put up and 25 mins to knock all the pegs in!!! If you plan to do quick stop overs it is easier to do the side panels.
Which ever you decide we have found invaluable a "Storm Strap" (not sure what the right name is ) which we use on the Dome and Wind-out awning to hold everything down in high winds.
Good Luck in your decision - It took us a 6,000 mile trip to make the decision on the "Dome"
:crazy

We're planning to do short stop overs rather than long stops. In terms of ease, the sides will be good. Just had an email from the people who were going to sell me 2 side awnings they have just introduced 3 sides with a door and a window! It's £350! More expensive than the motordome but convinience. Can't decide. 2 sides £200. I think I should pay the exta... Decisions, decisions!

Back