Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Drive away awning recommendations (large family!)

Maxx

Maxx

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi everyone,
Short version:
Recommendations for a ‘buy it once’ family sized awning?

Long Version:
I picked up a 2018 Beach over the winter (Xmas present to myself) as expanding family forced me to grow-up and buy a sensible vehicle. All the people carrier options were so depressing I couldn’t bring myself to do it and I have wanted a Cali for ages so finally took the plunge. Now I am gearing up (figuratively and literally) to start using it properly...it’s been masquerading as my home office for the last few months!

I have 3 young kids (hence the Beach) and have been pretty minimal with my purchases to date to avoid the ‘all the gear no idea’ scenario. However as it is clear that self-sufficiency is going to be more important than ever, particularly as on-site facilities such as parks/pools etc will be closed (thinking of those rainy days when outdoor options are limited) can anyone make recommendations for drive-away awnings?

Also can anyone clarify what the pertinent differences are between these two:
  • Kampa Touring AIR Classic Drive Away Awning
  • Kampa Travel Pod Touring AIR Drive Away Awning
They seem identical in almost every way, apart from fabric and weight. Which I have assumed means the pricier one is made of better stuff...but you know what they say about making assumptions.

I have the Vango GALLI 3, I’ve not used it probably when away but I’ve had it up a few times during lockdown and its fantastic.

If it bothers you, make sure you get the R/H VW california specific version so that the door faces out towards the front of the vehicle instead of the back.

I have the Vango GALLI 3, I’ve not used it probably when away but I’ve had it up a few times during lockdown and its fantastic.

If it bothers you, make sure you get the R/H VW california specific version so that the door faces out towards the front of the vehicle instead of the back.
We also have the Vango Galli large footprint version - it’s very good. Recommended.

We toured the Birmingham Caravan & Motorhome show, looking at all the awnings from all the manufacturers, and finally settled on an Outdoor Revolution Movelite T3 Air, as we wanted an air system with indoor space but still enough room to add a 2 person inner sleeping tent, and also to have a covered porch area for when it rains. Deal clincher apart from the high quality spec, was the good price, we got the awning, inner sleeping tent, carpet & footprint groundsheet for £600. Worth a look.

We have a Vango Galli with internal carpet & 1 inner tent(paid approx £500 2nd hand); Its great and is super solid even it stormy conditions. Think its one of the older ones as they are now on the Galli 3, but fabric is supertough...so don't be put off by buying 2nd hand older versions of awnings.

Hi everyone,
Short version:

Long Version:
I picked up a 2018 Beach over the winter (Xmas present to myself) as expanding family forced me to grow-up and buy a sensible vehicle. All the people carrier options were so depressing I couldn’t bring myself to do it and I have wanted a Cali for ages so finally took the plunge. Now I am gearing up (figuratively and literally) to start using it properly...it’s been masquerading as my home office for the last few months!

I have 3 young kids (hence the Beach) and have been pretty minimal with my purchases to date to avoid the ‘all the gear no idea’ scenario. However as it is clear that self-sufficiency is going to be more important than ever, particularly as on-site facilities such as parks/pools etc will be closed (thinking of those rainy days when outdoor options are limited) can anyone make recommendations for drive-away awnings?

They seem identical in almost every way, apart from fabric and weight. Which I have assumed means the pricier one is made of better stuff...but you know what they say about making assumptions.

Hi Maxx,

I cant help entirely, as we dont have an awning YET - but we're in a similar position to yourself. We've done a heck of a lot of research, viewings of display models, and so on.

The first thing to call out is future proofing. For us, we have a 20m toddler, and another bubba due in November - so we aren't going to be properly camping during the winter, and most likely not going to be that serious next year either. Our plan is to hold off for some winter deals. That said, we're doing our walkarounds and research now.

The Galli III Low is our preferred choice. It's a great size to 'grow' into, and is a good quality product.

The Touring Air is our second-choice and most likely the one we'll eventually go for. It's the equivalent of the Galli III Low, but with some key differences:
1. It isnt a Vango.
2. It comes with two inner tents included (approximately 50 each from Vago for the Galli III Low)
3. It comes in two versions - the Touring AIR, and the Touring AIR Classic. The touring air classic comes with a far more robust (albeit heavier/denser) material, that will last you far better. However that version is 1.2k, versus the 800/900 quid for the standard polyester. Interesting to note, the Vango Galli III Low is polyester also, but with colourlock so it retains it's colours in a similar way to the Cotton.

The Cotton (Classic) will be far more breathable with less condensation, and a longer lifespan in general.

Long story short - if you want cheap/chearful - Kampa Touring Air (standard).
If you want to go premium branding of the above, go for the Galli III
If you want the dogs nuts when it comes to longevity and breathability, go for the Classic.

For me, i'd choose the Galli III Low. As a backup, it'll no doubt be the Touring Air (Standard).

I'd then choose the Cotton (Classic) Touring Air, but for us, it has no real benefit/value over the others.

Hope it helps!

Hi everyone,
Short version:

Long Version:

We have the Kampa Travel Pod Touring Air for our 2018 Ocean, and it is perfect for our family of 4. You’re right that the difference between the two models is that the Classic is a heavier, more insulating material, but we didn’t go for it as it was heavier and much more expensive, and also we would only be camping from April to October so don’t need a hardcore weather solution. We viewed a lot of drive away awnings set up at showrooms and in the end it was a choice between the Kampa and Vango. The Kampa won out because we liked the non-trip flat doorways, bright coloured guy tapes, wider cowl/tunnel, and entrances on both sides as well as the front. We’ve since bought the vestibule which makes the front porch into an extra room, a carpet for the centre space, a footprint tarp to protect the main awning from stone damage, and the Kampa SabreLink Flex lighting kit. All were good purchases that we are pleased we’ve now got.

The poly cotton ones are good in a hot climate as they breath better and are cooler. As for us Mrs gas went for the galli 3 cause she likes em big. We will find out in a couple of weeks time how good it is when we eventually get to use it in anger

Thank you for all the responses and really helpful information. I think the decision will be the Kampa Classic Touring Air, for two reasons; the cotton fabric as we do intend to go to Europe (2021 and beyond) and the fact that they do a right hand variant. If the Vango Rhône was available as a right sided option it would win-out but either it or the Cali facing the wrong way is too much for my personal spectrum to take!

Thank you for all the responses and really helpful information. I think the decision will be the Kampa Classic Touring Air, for two reasons; the cotton fabric as we do intend to go to Europe (2021 and beyond) and the fact that they do a right hand variant. If the Vango Rhône was available as a right sided option it would win-out but either it or the Cali facing the wrong way is too much for my personal spectrum to take!

It might be worth checking with Vango - given the sales in mainland Europe, I would be surprised if they didnt cater for the larger market and offer a Cali-version.

Don't forget to give the guys at the shop a call for any drive away awnings, we will beat any price for club members and all the main brands are stocked with free delivery.

Tel 01246 912712

Am just looking at the many options myself for our family of five. No-one ever seems to mention the Olpro Cocoon Breeze which is a similar size (comes with 2+3 berth inner tents) and a fair bit cheaper (£600). Is Olpro not rated?

Can I say we bought the Vango Galli compact rsv option but wished we hadn't as we are members of the Caravan & Motorhome club & Camping and caravan clubs. They state that you awning Must be attached to the right side of your vehicle on a pitch so with a Cali you hace to drive into the pitch and put your awning on that side so your door is facing at times a blank wall or bushes. If we had known this ruling we would have bought the standard awning so driven onto the pitch as normal then put the awning on but it would be pointing the opposite way onto the site which we prefer.

Can I say we bought the Vango Galli compact rsv option but wished we hadn't as we are members of the Caravan & Motorhome club & Camping and caravan clubs. They state that you awning Must be attached to the right side of your vehicle on a pitch so with a Cali you hace to drive into the pitch and put your awning on that side so your door is facing at times a blank wall or bushes. If we had known this ruling we would have bought the standard awning so driven onto the pitch as normal then put the awning on but it would be pointing the opposite way onto the site which we prefer.

I hadnt realised this was a ruling.:oops:
However we may have inadvertently side stepped that rule by having purchased the Galli 3 for a T6 conversion and not the Cali, so our awning is on the right of our van. Yes we bought the Awning first thinking we were buying a converted Transporter and then bought a Cali! . Still though, I wasnt aware of that rule.

I hadnt realised this was a ruling.:oops:
However we may have inadvertently side stepped that rule by having purchased the Galli 3 for a T6 conversion and not the Cali, so our awning is on the right of our van. Yes we bought the Awning first thinking we were buying a converted Transporter and then bought a Cali! . Still though, I wasnt aware of that rule.
Oh ok lucky then. Yes it's fire regulations and very strict about it. We have also bought the new Vango Siesta with the door on the side of the awning for short stays so that will be ok if the pitch we are given has a barrier spoiling our view

Oh ok lucky then. Yes it's fire regulations and very strict about it. We have also bought the new Vango Siesta with the door on the side of the awning for short stays so that will be ok if the pitch we are given has a barrier spoiling our view

Its good you've got that flexibility but a darn shame re Galli tho.. I guess there must many cali owners in the same boat then? I'll be on the look out when next on a C & C site. We're still pretty fresh to camping with the cali as newish owners and have only used it around 5 times on campsites, most of which have been C & C sites. We obviously flooked it. So to speak.

We've used our awning sideways on at a few CC&C sites, they don't seem too bothered about which way you point in my experience. Granted we've got the smaller Cruz awning, so don't know if they are stricter with the larger awnings...
5bada211600267d2285c48a866710832.jpg

I've a question re the Galli awning and the two different options. I'll add that I don't stay on CMC/CCC sites.

Anyway, I don't really understand why it matters which way round the awning faces --

1) because in most places (I go to) you can park the van in what ever direction you want
2) & if I've a choice I will park the front of the van away from the best view - so that I can look out from my bed in the morning .... (& there's usually a screen on the front)

or am I missing/misunderstanding something?

I've a question re the Galli awning and the two different options. I'll add that I don't stay on CMC/CCC sites.

Anyway, I don't really understand why it matters which way round the awning faces --

1) because in most places (I go to) you can park the van in what ever direction you want
2) & if I've a choice I will park the front of the van away from the best view - so that I can look out from my bed in the morning .... (& there's usually a screen on the front)

Agree with you. Most of the sites we visit have no rules regarding positioning, and if they do we ask what's acceptable upon arrival, or look at how others are set up to see what you can get away with.

In warmer climates for longer stays we tend to have the roller awning out on 1 side, and the vango on the other (obviously with no access to van, connecting tunnel just gets used for storage.); When its cooler/raining then more likely to have it on the roller awning side.

Ideally would love a Beach with twin sliders...one day!

It's about Fire regulations, in the event of an Awning fire it cannot spread to the next awning. So it's Vehicle awning vehicle awning never 2 awning together.

We have just bought a Vango Cruz 3 with bedroom, carpet and footprint included in the deal, and have tried it out at home, all looks good so far, we often stay on CCC sites, hope it will go well. In the past we have used a large tent but a lot of work for a couple of days, hoping this will be a good solution.

We bought a Vango Cove Air low drive away in January, (£500.) and what with the present situation, we’ve only used it in the garden for my sons birthday There’s plenty of room and although they’ll only be the 2 of us, it’ll sleep 2 people easily if we have family coming to visit while in France or here in the UK. The entrance area has loads of room to sit in the shade or out of the rain, or for storing bits overnight when we sleep in the van. OH says it goes up really quickly too. At just under 15kg, not too bulky either.

Well what can I say, me and the OH put the Vango awning up in the garden a few days ago and what a palaver.... the instructions were ‘not worth the paper etc’, After about 20 minutes we discovered it was upside down, bearing in mind the OH has only put this up once and I’m an awning virgin!. As we couldnt park the car in the back garden the part where it says ‘first fix the awning to the car‘ was out of the question.... finally got it up the right way, blown up, so to speak and pegged. Going to have another go tomorrow before our first foray to Mersey island next week. I wouldn’t mind but we’ve not even slept in it yet. Yikes

Back