Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Drive Away Awning, Sewn-in Ground Sheets Prohibited

Toothlessjon

Toothlessjon

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Are sewn-in ground sheets prohibited on some camp sites? Do some campsites only allow a ground sheet if breathable or are there some that prohibit any ground sheet in your awning?

The easy answer to all 3 questions is Yes. Generally most UK sites want breathable and may ban sewn in sheets to protect the grass. Some may allow sewn in for a day or two or allow them in a sleeping inner tent if the inner tent is lifted during the day. It is not so common for all types to be banned. Depends on the site so you need to ask the site you have in mind. Sites that accept tents are less fussy.

We get around it by booking hardstandings. No mess if it rains and the ground is left undamaged. A lot of sites now have banned ground sheets that can’t be lifted as the grass takes so long to recover.

The easy answer to all 3 questions is Yes. Generally most UK sites want breathable and may ban sewn in sheets to protect the grass. Some may allow sewn in for a day or two or allow them in a sleeping inner tent if the inner tent is lifted during the day. It is not so common for all types to be banned. Depends on the site so you need to ask the site you have in mind. Sites that accept tents are less fussy.
In your experience would you buy the clip-in breathable ground sheet or just the thin carpets they sell (thinking about the less to carry) or go with both?

We’ve come across extra fees if you want to use a groundsheet so still doable but we opted for an awning with a clip in version.

I don’t like the awning-faf but the mrs does so then I didn’t want to be having that discussion to after buying one... Sorry, we can’t use it here due to that.

That’s exactly what I have just done. Lol.

Drive away awnings with or without ground sheets are a faff and they prove to be a fly / insect magnet. I recommend you only buy one if you need the extra sleeping space.

Drive away awnings with or without ground sheets are a faff and they prove to be a fly / insect magnet. I recommend you only buy one if you need the extra sleeping space.
Mine arrived yesterday, so I put it up in the garden for a test run and to check for faults. The first thing I noticed was that it filled with all types of flying beings within minutes! So I am already regretting it didn’t have sewn-in flyscreens.

I did buy a light + fly killer which I placed in the awning, however it didn’t kill a single fly, lol.

We only bought it to put stuff in and give the dog some space on a rainy day, so we will have to tuff it out. Lol.

Back