Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Drive away-awnings.

B

bigeric

Hi, we are brand new owners of a brand new California SE DSG, due for collection at the end of the month. Although we are having an awning fitted, we are very interested in buying a drive-away awning to increase our living space/ provide a "toilet area". Does anyone recommend a particular brand? Has anyone used the Kampa Travel Pod 310 Drive-away which we have seen at a local supplier and liked the look of? Thanks,
sue4cruise

Theres quite a few out there and to be honest whatever fits your needs and uses then thats got to be good for you and maybe not what someone else has got ...... i have a khyam motordome classic which isn't cheap ,but got a used one ... It's not really built to last compared to some others on the market ,but it can be a one man assembly being a form of popup which is great for me as i do alot of VW shows & events without the other half and if strapped down well it can take a beating from the weather ,but not the best waterproofing after 2 seasons and the fabric on mine is fairly easy to tear compared to my other awning which was an outwell...

Hello,

We have had our Cali for a few months and bought the Vango Kela Airway awning after seeing it at a camping show. The great benefit is that it has no poles as you inflate the main air beams. We have become quite good at this and setting-up takes about 20 minutes. The packing away is very quick as you just let the air out and it all collapses. We spent 2 weeks in the Highlands and Outer Isles with stormy weather for some days, but the Vango was very sound. It has some nice features such as the big windows and insect screens which are easy to manipulate.

The only drawback has been re-connecting the awning once you return to it. Like most awnings it uses a kador strip with figure of 8 plastic strips. Our Cali has the electric side door and this was tending to catch the top of the awning as it opened. I've made some adjustments to the kador arrangement to stop this happening, but it was a nuisance at first. I don't know, but I suspect that other awnings may have similar problems.

If you do consider the Vango Kela, I would recommend that you also get the ground sheet and the fitted carpet as these have proven to be well worth the extra money.

Like many of the Cali owners, we have spent quite a lot on the accessories. The other ones that we have liked are the awning side panels from Comfortz Leisure and the upper mattress topper from Zonesleep. The side panels are great when you are only spending a night before moving-on, and the mattress topper gives excellent sleeping support. However, I tried to leave the topper in place and close the roof, but in our case the roof does not close properly. Instead we use the topper bag, which is well made and also takes our bedding as well. Finally, we have also bought the Fiamma step, not cheap but so good, and looks made for the Cali.

Our first few months with the Cali have been great and I hope that you enjoy your one when it arrives.

Martin

Hi we looked at the vangi kela today and was told it fits into the grove above the door, almost bought it there and then but decided to think about it, after returning to out Cali which has a awning couldn't see how you would join the awning as the awning covers the groove, can anyone give me any advice?

Hi Tracy,

The slot is slightly hidden under the cover to the awning. It runs along the bottom edge of the awning where the legs are stored.

Wind out the awning a little and flip the legs cover up and you should see it. It is open at both ends and takes a 6mm Kador strip.

Alan

Thanks Alan for the info, that's great many thanks

Thanks mark I'll have a look