Driving in Norway to speed up

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Norway is planning to spend £30 bn on submerged tunnels crossing 4000 ft deep fjords on the E39 road between Trondheim and Kristiansand. Cars will pass through the tunnel, ships will pass over the tunnel and submarines will pass under the tunnel. Journey times for motor vehicles will be cut in half.

TELEMMGLPICT000187498656_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqbe775R1SNzm4sSSdJaF7PIzlPrhHwTt322ypFFb6um8.jpeg

TELEMMGLPICT000187498646_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqbe775R1SNzm4sSSdJaF7PIzlPrhHwTt322ypFFb6um8.jpeg

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/amphtml/norway-going-build-30bn-submerged-road-tunnel-fjord-115155384.html

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Last edited:
Hmm am I alone in being a little nervous about this kind of design?

The risk of fire could be mitigated by glass panels and a hammer along the tunnels length. “In case of fire, break glass”. The glass panels would have the additional benefit as viewing windows.

Last edited:
And if a careless ship happens to hit one of the pontoons??

The risk of fire could be mitigated by glass panels and a hammer along the tunnels length. “In case of fire, break glass”. The glass panels would have the additional benefit as acting a viewing windows.

Yeah that should provide enough water to put out most fires :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The what if's can go on forever but I do agree that it's and interesting design choice. I guess they'll will be able to shift positions to a degree as the seas aren't calm either. And bridges are too.

What if Jesus is alive and Easter is canceled? What if terrorism? What if Boris is back? What if snow was hot and melted the tires before entering the tunnel? JK. ;)

Where's Isambard Kingdom Brunel when you need him?

180 years ago, the UK used to have big ideas and impressive inventions. Today, we simply try to keep those 180 year-old inventions still working despite massive multiples of over-use.

Norway is planning to spend £30 bn on submerged tunnels crossing 4000 ft deep fjords on the E39 road between Trondheim and Kristiansand. Cars will pass through the tunnel, ships will pass over the tunnel and submarines will pass under the tunnel. Journey times for motor vehicles will be cut in half.

TELEMMGLPICT000187498656_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqbe775R1SNzm4sSSdJaF7PIzlPrhHwTt322ypFFb6um8.jpeg

TELEMMGLPICT000187498646_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqbe775R1SNzm4sSSdJaF7PIzlPrhHwTt322ypFFb6um8.jpeg

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/amphtml/norway-going-build-30bn-submerged-road-tunnel-fjord-115155384.html

What could possibly go wrong ! Only allowed through in aTesla ?

Following these projects. It really is awesome.

Problem is the fjords are to wide for bridges and to deep for tunnels.

Mines broke down, and now there’s no one to love.

A great piece of engineering indeed, but not built in the UK.

I did that big bridge near Le Havre on a motorbike, feels like your riding straight up into the sky, with the side wind very hairy. As scary as that tunnel sounds I'd still probably give it a go ;)

I did that big bridge near Le Havre on a motorbike, feels like your riding straight up into the sky, with the side wind very hairy. As scary as that tunnel sounds I'd still probably give it a go ;)
Or there is the 25km Laerdel Tunnel in Norway. Complete with rest areas and roundabouts 2km each end in case you chicken out.

Back