Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Drying pop top in garage - roof ajar...

Volkywagen

Volkywagen

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
So, if want to dry the pop top somewhat in the garage, and can’t open it fully (about a foot) will the auto pressure thingy kick in an raise it on its own, possibly wrecking my garage roof?

Thats a good question.
Is it possible to turn off the control panel when the roof is up a
bit ?? Maybe that would stop it auto pressuring.

Try it tonight and let us know how your roof is tomorrow :D:D:D

Q like this came up before , noone given the outcome ....
Beware that IF the roof don’t lower evenly , you can not close the roof full unless you open it up full and the sound went off.
You could end up not able ti drive outside....
There’s always the manual roof loweringprocedure offcoarse.
If it was me , i’d think twice ....

Ahh, I could raise and disconnect the battery I suppose. Worst it can do is go down

It's all down to risk.
High chance it will need to be fully raised to close it.
High cost of it does.

Really why would you...?
Just dry it outside

Or, use an External Topper then you won't have to.:thumb

You can raise it a few inches and lower it again without any issues as I do this to spray ptfe on the front slider.

I would be surprised if it would drive itself up as it never went up to pressurise the switches in the first place.
Turning off the panel is a good shout.

I have to dry mine outside in the street if it gets wet when we are away. I wait for a dry day, put the roof up and put the diesel heater on for an hour or so. Very quickly dries out.
If you try to put the roof up a little bit in the garage, much of it will be in folds and won't get exposed to the dry air for ages, if at all. You are advised by Eberspacher to run the heater for an hour each month to keep it healthy, do that usefully by drying out the roof at the same time.

@Loz , but do you leave it open say overnight ?
Guess not you shut it back within’ 15min ..,
Leaving the roof open when not fully raised i’m pretty sure it goes down pretty fast causing uneveness...

If i recall there have been a thread on this in the past , don’t know the outcome from my head and i’m on the road in Denmark and not taking the time to search at the moment :confused:

@Loz , but do you leave it open say overnight ?
Guess not you shut it back within’ 15min ..,
Leaving the roof open when not fully raised i’m pretty sure it goes down pretty fast causing uneveness...
Not up enough to cause a problem only needs a few inches (150-200mm).

I’ll do it today.

{time passes}
IMG_0868.jpg

Last edited:
I can’t always dry it on the drive as I have to work away sometimes so it lives in the garage Monday to Friday.
Yes agreed on the heater and leaving outside etc. I’ve done this previously and it worked a treat.
I’m just preparing for wet weather when I can’t be bothered to put the topper on out n about and have to put it away in a hurry leaving it all week.