DSG ???'s

sidepod

sidepod

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Chaps,

I've been reading up on DSG boxes and have a few questions/thoughts.

I didn't realise they were quite sensitive to oil change schedules. 40k miles I believe?
Useful to check if purchasing second hand.

I take it the DSG as fitted to the Cali is wet clutch(es).?

Is the software programmable to blip the throttle on down change or does it already do so?

Discuss.

P.

Chaps,

I've been reading up on DSG boxes and have a few questions/thoughts.

I didn't realise they were quite sensitive to oil change schedules. 40k miles I believe?
Useful to check if purchasing second hand.

I take it the DSG as fitted to the Cali is wet clutch(es).?

Is the software programmable to blip the throttle on down change or does it already do so?

Discuss.

P.
1. I wouldn't say they are sensitive to Oil Changes - that is the recommended Service Schedule , no different to a manual gear box requiring an oil change at a set milage.
2. Yes, they use a wet clutch system
3. Yes, you can " Kick Down " to drop a gear or use the Manual Function. Sport Mode also alters the rev range for gear changes.:thumb

Attachments

• DSG Gearbox.pdf
    4.3 MB · Views: 58
Nice bedtime reading!

Regarding oil change intervals , a standard box only requires oil service at approx 100k, if at all. Can't recall ever changing gearbox oil?

DSG is a whole different ball game it seems, according to the attached comic.

Gear box oil pump, cooling function as well as lube, oil cooler. High stress from the double clutch.
Plenty to worry about there.
40k suddenly seems a lot.

Nice bedtime reading!

Regarding oil change intervals , a standard box only requires oil service at approx 100k, if at all. Can't recall ever changing gearbox oil?

DSG is a whole different ball game it seems, according to the attached comic.

Gear box oil pump, cooling function as well as lube, oil cooler. High stress from the double clutch.
Plenty to worry about there.
40k suddenly seems a lot.
True, but according to my Dealership, one of the better ones, almost 50% of their commercial T5's were DSG and they hadn't had any problems even on the high milage ones they look after.
On the other side 1 x DSG box + 1 x Gear Linkage used twice/ journey or 1 x Manual + 1 x Clutch + 1 x DMF + 1 x Gear Linkage + 1 x Clutch master and slave cylinder.:thumb

Not sure what point you're making at the end there WG.

DSG still uses DMFlywheel.

DMF rarely fails with a DSG because everything is controlled unlike a manual clutch where engine revs, gear and clutch pressure is controlled by the driver so can vary significantly unlike with a DSG, so there can be a variable " shock " to the central components of the drive train .

you can also use the paddles for a quicker gearchange to drop it down instead of using the stick

Are you saying Mechatronically the shift speed is faster via the paddles than the stick?

I think it is yes but it might be more psychological than mechatronically.