Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Earth shunt under fridge - non functioning diesel heater

O

owlman

I would appreciate if somebody could describe in detail which of the screws shown on image 9 to fasten the earth wire to. Is it to screw A or B (white lines) on the image, or the middle screw on left side? I have photographed the place and numbered the screws 1 -2 -3. Correct information is highly appreciated.

CaliforniaEarthShuntquestion.jpg

Pigging backing this thread as this is the bit I still don't understand...

EDIT:
Having said that, has someone not already attempted a fix with that yellow green earth wire?

Agree with Sad, looks like an attempted fix has been done.

Earth wire looks a little thin to me. I attached mine to the seatbelt mounting point.

The bolt at van mounting looks loose. Also you need to run the paint off the chassis to get a good connection.

Every word said by MrP is true. I’ve done at least 5 earth shunts by now. It’s a really common problem.
Your yellow/green wire is attached wrong. In current position you will by pass the Shunt it self. It will work but the control panel will get really wrong data and show information that is wrong. The new earth cable (much thicker then current) should be attached to point number one, and then to the seatbelt mounting. Think it is 10 mm bolt with a fine thread. I’ve bought the bolt from vw. I could look after the part number later in my garage if you want.

Every word said by MrP is true. I’ve done at least 5 earth shunts by now. It’s a really common problem.
Your yellow/green wire is attached wrong. In current position you will by pass the Shunt it self. It will work but the control panel will get really wrong data and show information that is wrong. The new earth cable (much thicker then current) should be attached to point number one, and then to the seatbelt mounting. Think it is 10 mm bolt with a fine thread. I’ve bought the bolt from vw. I could look after the part number later in my garage if you want.
Thank you very much. The photo was taken BEFORE the yellow/green wire was removed again. I did this repair on my own camper a few years ago, and though I remembered that I attatched the wire to screw 1. However, when trying to repair for a friend, the roof would not come down when I did the same, thus some trials to check if I was wrong (and during these trials I took the photo were the geen/yellow wire was attached as shown). I finally made two different connections which to choose from after I got this answer. The connection can now be done without having to remove fridge and the gas stove AGAIN (which takes some time).

I also have two other friends where this connection has to be made anew.

20180805_185418.jpg