Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fridge Lid Gas Strut/Non main dealer yorkshire

Martin11

Martin11

Vehicle
Just browsing
Hello fellow Cali lovers! I don't often post on here. In fact this is only my second time, so apologies in advance if I get it slightly wrong at points. I do however love reading the threads and have been helped out on numerous occasions by the generosity of members sharing their knowledge and experience. So thank you!!!

So, Fridge lid gas strut I hear you say, get to the point! The fridge on my Cali stopped working luckily it was still under warranty and was replaced, thank you VW! However after about two weeks I noticed that the Fridge Gas Strut had worked its self loose and freed its self from one of its fixing points. Simple I thought I'll just screw it back on. Ur no not that simple at all. But also not that difficult. The lid its self would have to come off.
Any how to actually get to the point in question. It's a job I had to do so thought I'd take a few pics along the way and share in the hope that someone might find it useful one day.
So firstly the tools I used/needed
image.jpg
Number 2.5 and 2 Allen key
Small spanner for leverage.
Small screwdriver
I X pint of cyder (optional) those cleaver ones amongst you will notice that this is actually pint number two.

Firstly I removed the nut holding the strut to the wardrobe. No 2 Allen key
image.jpg
Offending article
image.jpg

Secondly I unscrewed the two hinges holding the lid on. I put a bit of tape under the hinge to catch any wayward screws. No2.5 Allen key
image.jpg
Once the lid was off the gas strut could be placed/screwed back in place.
image.jpg
Once this was done its then just a matter of reassembling in reverse order. Taking care when marrying the screws/nuts up to their holes as your screwing steel into aluminium.
Hope thats been of use to someone. Cheers
P.s. Can anyone recommend a trusted non main dealer for servicing in Yorkshire? Thanks in advance.

Thanks you so much for this. The gas strut on my fridge has disconnected itself from the fridge. The WV dealer did not want to fix it when I took it for a service so have been thinking how I am going to try and fix it.

But because of the angle, you just can’t get into to have a look at it.

Following your instructions I should be able to get the if off and try and fix it back in. Thank you!!

505BB801-1806-433A-A8FC-090972FD9212.jpeg

I like the ´masking up´ before you release a screw. lol

Thanks you so much for this. The gas strut on my fridge has disconnected itself from the fridge. The WV dealer did not want to fix it when I took it for a service so have been thinking how I am going to try and fix it.

But because of the angle, you just can’t get into to have a look at it.

Following your instructions I should be able to get the if off and try and fix it back in. Thank you!!

View attachment 30950
Hi Jonney,

Your welcome, hope you managed to get it sorted!

Thanks
M
I like the ´masking up´ before you release a screw. lol
Hi Westfalia,

Yes I call it CIC, cider induced caution!

I’d suggest using some threadlock on the gas strut screws to stop them coming loose again in the future and scratching the wardrobe wall.