Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Eight week old Beagle pup - where do I put it?

K

KP01

VIP Member
Hi

We're looking to get a Beagle pup in the next few weeks, if we can figure out how to accommodate it in our Cali. There are four of us - Mum, Dad, 11 year-old boy and 8 year-old girl so we use both the roof bed and the downstairs bed already. The Beagle will be 8 or 9 weeks when we get her so won't be toilet trained.

Help!

Pat

Don't.....!!!

My son had one..it will be uncontrollable and tear your Cali apart.....

Definitely a crate of some description (metal or canvas) - you can get quite small ones for pups - may even go in the passenger footwell overnight. Will also be handy when opening the door and exuberant pup doesn't jump out... or get under your feet whilst cooking...
Generally speaking, only bored / lonely pups tend to be destructive. Not a hard and fast rule as I have an 'autistic' one who chewed a lot and is super intelligent and a hyper one who I expected to but has chewed zilch... But keep it mentally and physically occupied everyday and hopefully you won't experience the problems mentioned above.
You'll love it!

My son had two dogs and he got rid of the Beagle...when his child was born. Very Very Wise. No way you will cope with it especially in a Cali.

I have seen the things my oh so sweet puppy bite in pices in the early days....oh boy ! I did come home once from work when we first had her , and the inside of her pillow was flying all over our drive and the street ...she dragged it in the garden and ript it all up....
Best to put her/him in a bench while in the Cali....
Train the pup and take her/ him allong as much as you can.

I've also bought covers for the crates so if the crate is in the van and the dogs have been getting wet and muddy (or rolling in something I'd rather not mention...) then the cover can be whipped over and any flying detris from shaking will be contained...

Always a good idea to cover the crates as it gives the dog/s a place to hide away and chill out.

Avoid puppy nappies, a friend of ours tried these and their fur gets covered in poo so you not only have to empty the nappy each morning you have to bath their backside, this also does not help with toliet training as they will assume they can just go to toliet when they want. We have had many puppies in the past and I would say a small campervan is not a good enviroment for a puppy. Maybe the odd night away but that would be the limit.

I see where you are going andrew149. Luckily our puppy hasn't 'been' in a nappie. They seem to have a mysterious magical power and just stop her going in the night - which is the only time we use them. However give her the kitchen floor at home and it's a different story... Hope to be out of them really soon but they do they job for us right now. :)

We are picking up an 8week old puppy at weekend and have bought a crate for her to go in, she will be coming on all our travels with us. My concern is taking her abroad and getting a vet before we come back to give her obligatory injections to let her back into uk. How do you find a vet ? anybody done this before, we are travelling back from st Malo, kennels booked on board.

I've been told as long as you book the vet on the way back you will avoid getting over charged. The horror stories of overcharging are apparently usually result of an emergency appointment because one wasn't pre booked.

When I lived in Norway and travelled to NL there was the same requirement. I got my dutch host to book a vet and ensure they knew the requirements. No problem. At customs on way home they didn't even stop us. After all that expense - but would never risk not doing it.
I'll be travelling to NL and Belgium end of the year and my first port of call to find a suitable vet will be to ask my vet here for advice... Otherwise I'll approach friends in NL for their vets details.
You might want to start with your vet and see what they know. I've been impressed with how well informed mine is about all this stuff especially as taking a dog abroad from Aberdeen is not a short trip...

We are picking up an 8week old puppy at weekend and have bought a crate for her to go in, she will be coming on all our travels with us. My concern is taking her abroad and getting a vet before we come back to give her obligatory injections to let her back into uk. How do you find a vet ? anybody done this before, we are travelling back from st Malo, kennels booked on board.

We would always get the campsite to book the vet for us, make sure you get a price first, as Matt says some places do overcharge, I think the last time we did it the cost was around 35 Euro, also make sure they are aware of how the pet passport works.

Hi

We're looking to get a Beagle pup in the next few weeks, if we can figure out how to accommodate it in our Cali. There are four of us - Mum, Dad, 11 year-old boy and 8 year-old girl so we use both the roof bed and the downstairs bed already. The Beagle will be 8 or 9 weeks when we get her so won't be toilet trained.

Help!

Pat
A

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

We're going to get the pup but will be sure to get a steel crate.

On the way back the French Vets all know what to do. Use www.pagesjaunes.fr You just type "vet" in the left hand box and choose veterinary and put a town in the right hand one. That way you can find local vets and a map location. The only treatment required is for a particular tapeworm. You may elect for a jab or (which I prefer) a pill.

My son had two dogs and he got rid of the Beagle...when his child was born. Very Very Wise. No way you will cope with it especially in a Cali.

But every dog is different, BerndRos :) My family have lived with Border Collies for almost 35 years and currently have four, but they have each had their own unique personality, energy levels, cheekiness and quirks, just like humans or any other animal. I agree that the breed traits of a Beagle are very different to those of a Border Collie, but not necessarily any more or less challenging to live with and take on holiday.

We're going to get the pup but will be sure to get a steel crate.

I think you will be fine with the pup+Cali but I would suggest that you wait at least a month before going away overnight. You will need to have the pup's vaccinations all done before he/she can go out and about anyway and she will need time to get used to her new family, settle into her permanent home, learn to sleep on her own in a crate and ask to toilet outside - it is a huge life change for a pup leaving their mum and siblings, so take things slowly. Once she can go through the night cleanly, everything will become easier in the Cali - this could take anything from a week (possible but unlikely - we have only had a couple like this) to two months, and many pups will still have 'accidents' for a while after that, just like young children. It's also important to remember that your pup will need a lot of sleep and lots of short play/training sessions to tire her brain out for her first few months with you and walks will need to be kept short or will involve carrying - over-exercising pups is a big problem for many dogs and can result in skeletal problems later in life. The 'five minutes per month of age' is a good rule of thumb for walking before 12 months. How this will affect your Cali adventures will obviously depend on what you like doing when you go away. In the long term, you will have a fabulous camping companion! Enjoy your new baby - it's such an exciting time, especially for your children who are a lovely age to really help with puppy rearing!

Maud

Last edited:
The message is coming in loud and clear that we should crate train our puppy. We've been looking at crates today. It looks as if we could squeeze in a crate on the floor between the rear bench and front seats, even with the bench slid forward in sleeping position. I measure that we have around 18-19 inches of a gap so at night, we could bring the crate inside and keep the pup in the van with us. Both her parents are fairly small for Beagles so a 24 inch crate should be fine. There are other issues to deal with, I know. But we camp throughout the year and want to keep our pup with us, even on cold nights.

Yes, it is good to work out what size fits and will it slip, what to do when sleeping, etc.
I was unexpectedly fortunate enough to get a pup whilst already had 2 Tollers (they are hard to come by). So bought a canvas collapsible crate for the back seat of my estate car and secured it with the seat belts. (Whilst other two were in dual cage in back). Pup managed to chew the mesh and escape whilst driving - not a good idea. I prefer the solid / collapsible crates. She'd probably be ok in one now but it's worth knowing the risk (and cost).
I have harnesses and attachment for the seats if I choose to do that - but don't want that to be my only option if weather is bad and I have filthy dogs. Hence I wanted crates. I already had one so bought an extra one and have measured that they will fit side by side in the habitation area with the bench pushed right back. However, I am currently also training the dogs to sleep together in one crate for travelling and also so that if I need to I can store more stuff behind driver / passenger seat (e.g. the dog fencing for shows as it is 1.5 m tall when rolled up), or if I end up needing / wanting to stop somewhere and have access to kitchen and a bench seat for myself.
I've also bought some "Gardman" mats that fit under the crate and stop it sliding around and smaller ones that fit inside the crate and I can put their vet bed on top of it without the bedding slipping. The Gardman mats are washable. Yee haa.
It all takes some thought and needs to be tailored for what you want. For most people with a Cali the flexibility to stop overnight anywhere and move on seems to be what they go for. For me that is less of an issue. On my own I didn't want a big vehicle to be driving or caravan to tow, so have gone for the Cali but then with awning and dog fencing. Not quick to set up or put away but should make our Cali life work for us.
As with many of these posts - have a think what will work for you and bare in mind the experience of others and you should do well :)
PS I only sent a PM to avoid a long to and fro messaging that may not be of interest to others.

You will be fine! Great experience for all, especially the kids as they are at the perfect age to help with the chores and to,learn to take responsibility. We have five dogs and have crate trained each of them.
The secet is to take it slowly. At home have the crate standingaround for a few days. Feed the pup in the crate - you don't even have to close the door. He/she will learn that crate equals fun. And then take her on short rides to a fun place for her walk. We tie our crates down to the floor for safety reasons.
You will have an awesome companion for many many years! Go for it!

For all you Cali Dogs owners, here's a picture of the pup in question, Bella, now almost 5 weeks old! Can't wait to bring her home!

image.jpeg

Back