Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Electric Confusion

Ally Whitehead

Ally Whitehead

Hi everyone, finally took our new Ocean out last weekend and starting to get to know it, but use of electrics are really confusing! We bought a compact Nespresso machine which is 1200 watts. Obvs we can only plug into the 3 pin plug and therefore only when on a plug-in site, but what’s the max loading onboard and how do you convert to amps? Help!! Ally

C33A6CFF-FE35-45EF-8206-9F795D15D2FE.png

watts = amps x volts

therefore multiply the max amps rating for the van by 240 to get you the max watts allowed.

sorry not sure what the max load for the ocean is but assuming it's 13 amps then you could have up to 3120 watts...

(sorry I don't use hookup, I stick with 12v)

That’s really helpful. I’m sure someone else will know the loading on the ocean. Didn’t have any adaptors for the 12v feed last weekend so couldn’t use them for anything more than charging phones which was really annoying!

Using onboard 230V Euro socket (via adapter) on the side behind passenger seat. You are limited to 150W only. This means a max loading of 150/230 I.e. 0.6Amps only. So only suitable for very Low Power equipment e.g. phone charger

The other 230 socket on the front of the kitchen unit is available only when you are on electrical hookup. This has a max capacity of 2500W. This means a max loading of 2500/230 i.e. 10Amps only.

Hi everyone, finally took our new Ocean out last weekend and starting to get to know it, but use of electrics are really confusing! We bought a compact Nespresso machine which is 1200 watts. Obvs we can only plug into the 3 pin plug and therefore only when on a plug-in site, but what’s the max loading onboard and how do you convert to amps? Help!! Ally

View attachment 47704
It's not so much the Maximum the vehicle can take as what the campsite can provide, normally 6, 8, 10 amps possibly 12 amps on some sites. In the UK the standard is 10 amps but on the continent it could be 6 or 8 amps.
Amps x Volts = Watts, or put it another way Watts/Volts=Amps.

This might be helpful to explain what you can use.

Attachments

• hook-up-information.pdf
    96.7 KB · Views: 54
Using onboard 230V Euro socket (via adapter) on the side behind passenger seat. You are limited to 150W only. This means a max loading of 150/230 I.e. 0.6Amps only. So only suitable for very Low Power equipment e.g. phone charger

The other 230 socket on the front of the kitchen unit is available only when you are on electrical hookup. This has a max capacity of 2500W. This means a max loading of 2500/230 i.e. 10Amps only.
Thank you, sounds like he can have a decent coffee then. It’s the only gadget he wanted, bless him!

Thank you everyone. Did you also know how rude the admin on this site is? I’m new, I did check the threads and didn’t see one for ‘electric’ specifically. If you want to encourage members to use the forum try to be nice, it doesn’t cost anything.

67DD3BF1-A95A-4B42-AD03-9098F90B76BB.png

It looks like a standard response, but I agree the last sentence is completely unnecessary. Why not just put a 'thanks' instead?

Then if not Admin, who is it Kev?! Whomever it is, this site should be a friendly place especially for newbies who already feel pretty stupid asking these questions!

Bit sad that on what is generally a well mannered and courteous forum (with a couple of exceptions) the “official posting” is unnecessarily blunt to the point of being rude!

Then if not Admin, who is it Kev?! Whomever it is, this site should be a friendly place especially for newbies who already feel pretty stupid asking these questions!
Moderation of posts is undertaken by unpaid volunteers.
Some of them do not have English as their first language and sometimes what they mean to say does not translate too well.

I am sure it was not meant to be as abrupt as you perceived it, so please do not take offence.
(and it was not me, I'm not a moderator)

Last edited:
Does this sound better . This post has been moved due to being posted in the wrong section in the opinion of the admin. Please search the forum Categories before posting and select the appropriate section for the post. This helps keep the forum tidy and posts easier to find.

The Blue socket you now see as standard on most sites can deliver up to 16A, but as pointed out earlier, can have a lower rating of 6 or 10. The breaker in the rear of the Cali has a maximum of 13A.
Therefore the maximum wattage will be;
@6A = 1440w
@10A = 2400w
@13A = 3120w

Please bear in mind that in some places where the cable runs may be long , the voltage may be lower at the post and this, in turn, may lower the available wattage.

and as @WelshGas pointed out, you may also have the onboard charger drawing some current but this will reduce as the batteries become charged.

Last edited:
Ally,

First of all a big welcome to the forum and please be assured that if you need any help just ask. This is a great forum with lots of helpful members and you will get great advice from here.

Sometimes messages do come over differently to that intended, it is the nature of the singular dimension beast, but please do not let that put you off posting or being confident that admin and moderators on this site will do all we can to help expedite any queries that you have.

Welcome again.

The Blue socket you now as standard on most sites can deliver up to 16A, bay as pointed out earlier can have a lower rating of 6 or 10. The breaker in the rear of the Cali has a maximum of 13A.
Therefore the maximum wattage will be;
@6A = 1440w
@10A = 2400w
@13A = 3120w

Please bear in mind that in some places where the cable runs may be long , the voltage may be lower at the if the post and this in turn may lower the available wattage.
Also, the Mains Charger will be running as well. I’m not sure how much that takes, so the power calculation should take that into account.

Does this sound better . This post has been moved due to being posted in the wrong section in the opinion of the admin. Please search the forum Categories before posting and select the appropriate section for the post. This helps keep the forum tidy and posts easier to find.
You know it does... and I had searched the forum, just didn’t see the ‘sub’ category!!! A

Ally,

First of all a big welcome to the forum and please be assured that if you need any help just ask. This is a great forum with lots of helpful members and you will get great advice from here.

Sometimes messages do come over differently to that intended, it is the nature of the singular dimension beast, but please do not let that put you off posting or being confident that admin and moderators on this site will do all we can to help expedite any queries that you have.

Welcome again.
Thank you! Much appreciated. Given that the ‘manual’ that comes with the Cali is about as much use as a chocolate teapot, I shall definitely been back. We spent OST of our weekend (when not enjoying Padstow) looking at Youtube videos to remind us how to find/do various things on our T6! Never felt such an amateur!!! Cheers again. A

@Ally Whitehead Where are you in the world? It may be that you have Cali owners nearby that would be willing to pop over and help. If you pop on to "account details" there is an information page that allows you to pop on some details such as location.

I'm always happy to travel over and share a cup of tea or glass of wine inside the Cali whilst explaining "how things work".... just as long as you don't want me to explain anything about what's hidden in that dark and foreboding place underneath the front hinged thing that sits above the Grill. I think it has an engine and bits in it but that's about all I know :shocked

@Ally Whitehead Where are you in the world? It may be that you have Cali owners nearby that would be willing to pop over and help. If you pop on to "account details" there is an information page that allows you to pop on some details such as location.

I'm always happy to travel over and share a cup of tea or glass of wine inside the Cali whilst explaining "how things work".... just as long as you don't want me to explain anything about what's hidden in that dark and foreboding place underneath the front hinged thing that sits above the Grill. I think it has an engine and bits in it but that's about all I know :shocked
I’m in south Notts, NG12. I’m not sure how VW expect anyone to remember anything from a 15 min induction you get and for us that was in Dec last year! Hilarious trying to remember how to pull the bed out at 1030pm, in the dark after a couple of vino’s. thank god for YouTube, think it saved my marriage! . Anyone know how to lock the doors when you’re in it without setting the alarm off?!

I’m in south Notts, NG12. I’m not sure how VW expect anyone to remember anything from a 15 min induction you get and for us that was in Dec last year! Hilarious trying to remember how to pull the bed out at 1030pm, in the dark after a couple of vino’s. thank god for YouTube, think it saved my marriage! . Anyone know how to lock the doors when you’re in it without setting the alarm off?!
Use the Button on the Drivers Door, by the Mirror Controls.

Two ways:

You can disable the interior movement alarm by using the button on the pillar to the left of the drivers door with the drivers door open, (from the drivers door it is often covered by the seat belt). If it is glowing orange, interior alarm off, red then alarm on. You will need it off if leaving children, dogs or escaping granny's in the car whilst you waltz off leaving them safely locked inside.

When inside, going to bed, there is a switch above the mirror switches on the drivers door.

How about something like "Thanks for this post and your contribution to the forum. We have moved it to a more relevant section of the forum as this will help your query be answered more quickly."

Back