Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Elevating Roof Hydraulic fluid

C

Cbatman0

Vehicle
T5 SE 130
Hi
We have a problem with our roof, namely a leak from the pressure line on the drivers side. We are replacing the pipe but will require some fluid to top up the system afterwards. The fluid is v expensive from VW and there doesn't seem to be a compatible oil and so I was wondering if there was anyone out there who has a can of fluid which they no longer need or can let me have a cup full.
Thanks
C

Its defo worth a try, i have a litre of it here, well about 925ml.
I would give you a couple of 100mls but im in Germany.
IMG_7110.JPG

Should also have a not so pleasant smell.

Pretty sure it’s gearbox oil, can be bought anywhere for a couple of quid. It’s also under the guis of power steering fluid and light use hydraulic oil and others.

A quick google says it’s the same oil VW use in their Haldex 4x4 systems and DSG boxes.

Please don’t take this as gospel, have a look around and come to your own conclusion.

Yes it's pink. I will check the Haldex 4x4 system fluid. Many thanks guys.
Its defo worth a try, i have a litre of it here, well about 925ml.
I would give you a couple of 100mls but im in Germany.
View attachment 51607
Thanks. I'll see if I can sort something over here first. I am hopeful in finding a compatible one. I'll let you know.
C

I would not put in gearbox oil or other hydraulic fluid, as this is not the same.
As there is still oil left in the pump, I wouldn't dare mixing it too.
Remind, if you put in the wrong oil, and the hydraulic pump and/or the hydraulic pistons break down, the cost will be much higher than just the can of oil.

I would not put in gearbox oil or other hydraulic fluid, as this is not the same.
As there is still oil left in the pump, I wouldn't dare mixing it too.
Remind, if you put in the wrong oil, and the hydraulic pump and/or the hydraulic pistons break down, the cost will be much higher than just the can of oil.
You are dead right! I will only use genuine or compatible but so far I havn’t found any compatible

Gear oil is thick, hydraulic oil is of a similar viscosity to water.

Hi I know the vw oil is expensive but the whole unit is made by power packer have you tried them direct ?

Hi I know the vw oil is expensive but the whole unit is made by power packer have you tried them direct ?
Is the electrohydraulic pump made by Power Packer?
Should they have repair parts for the hydraulic unit? As in internal leakage in the hydraulic unit itself?
I have a second hand pump in Poland that is trying to be repaired, but for now it seems to be hard to find the right pieces.

Is the electrohydraulic pump made by Power Packer?
Should they have repair parts for the hydraulic unit? As in internal leakage in the hydraulic unit itself?
I have a second hand pump in Poland that is trying to be repaired, but for now it seems to be hard to find the right pieces.
Hi yes the whole hydraulic unit is made by power packer it would be worth a google and contacting them :thumb

A mate of mine said that i could use a different oil like the one
they use with cabriolets, anyway i wasn't having it and did some
research and i found that using a different oil can cause foaming.

The causes of foaming are many. The most common include:
  • Cross contamination of the fluid with the wrong lubricant
  • So best to use the real deal. :)

All good stuff. Being in the aviation industry I know the importance of using the correct fluid. I will try Power Packer. The fluid used in Audi cabriolets is different. That would have been too easy....

Back