Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Emissions software update just released July 20 19 (approx)

s2bear

s2bear

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Hi Gang
Just popped into the dealer for an oil change and am told there is a software update being ‘offered’ by VW which ‘may increase’ AdBlu consumption during the DPF regen. VW are offering 8 FREE dealer AdBlu top ups if you have this done . I’m told this is optional and the dealer is ‘unaware’ of any changes to torque and power outputs or curves.

Is my reluctance to accept this misplaced?

(For an 18 model T6)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Might help

Might help

Thank you. The dealer told me THIS particular update only appeared in the last few days but it sounds like the same update as the one in your link - maybe it was released on different dates in different countries.

PLUS... I just bought 20L of AdBlu from Halfords

Just said yes to it

Had this done yesterday on our 150 4Motion. Not offered anything wrt Adblue freebies. Certainly felt as if it wasn't pulling quite as well on the return drive home.

Had this done yesterday on our 150 4Motion. Not offered anything wrt Adblue freebies. Certainly felt as if it wasn't pulling quite as well on the return drive home.

You should get a sheet from the dealer with your van details - 8 free AdBlue top-ups. From any dealer (commercial) they top you up and claim it back from VW like a warranty claim.

PLUS... I just bought 20L of AdBlu from Halfords
emoji37.png

there is no time limit on the free top-ups

Hi Gang
Just popped into the dealer for an oil change and am told there is a software update being ‘offered’ by VW which ‘may increase’ AdBlu consumption during the DPF regen. VW are offering 8 FREE dealer AdBlu top ups if you have this done . I’m told this is optional and the dealer is ‘unaware’ of any changes to torque and power outputs or curves.

Is my reluctance to accept this misplaced?

(For an 18 model T6)

I'm no engine guru but reading articles on emissions software updates I'm really confused as there seem to be lots of conflicting articles on the web. I'm assuming there was only one diesel emissions issue and this was corrected on EU6 compliant engines? Or maybe there is a fix that affects all engines or there is now a fix to correct a fix?. With so much 'miss information these days its hard to know who is telling the truth! However, the underlying trend is that the change may be causing issues - or is this mass hysteria?

In Link 1, Whatcar, August 2016, says the original issue didn't affect emissions, only that engine software was detecting a lower 'artificial emissions reading when it detected that engine emissions were being tested? So, as I read it, the intended change would only give an actual emissions reading when tested?

Link 2, is a online petion, which appears to have been created some time in 2017 and is irected at VW to allow customers to choose to revert the dieselgate software updates that are causing growing widespread engine breakdowns due to the extra load the update places on EGR valves, injectors and DPF systems. This was last updated 4 months ago and only has 454 petitioners to-date so its hard to tell if this has been widespread problem - or maybe no one saw the petition?

Link 3, hypermiler.co.uk, March 2017, explains the effects of the software change and that many owners were experiencing engine fans staying on longer with increased frequency after parking up. It also contains some useful tips for prolonging the life of your DPF filter.

Link 4, Driving.co.uk, Sunday Tmes, Jan 2018 reports that after fixes were applied owners complained of failures in the engine and exhaust system, low power, poor fuel economy or mysterious rattles?

I checked my VIN on the VW website this morning and it seems I'm not affected, so I'll just wait for any imminent recall and then decide what I should do. But, if its not mandatory, doesn't affect my warranty and its not broke???????

I posted this last week.

Is about NOx emissions during regen.

See answer from VWGuru…..

We have 2 T6's 2017MY and both have had software updates etc as advised by VW. Absolutely no difference to running and fuel consumption and still a joy to drive. A lot of nonsense sometimes grows arms and legs and is taken as gospel. The more probable reason is a useless garage mechanic has balled something up.

Its now a few months since this update was released. Is the general view to get the update as it has no effect apart from AdBlue consumption during regen itself? Is the free top up a thing?

Back