Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

EML light at only 400 miles!!!

AT_SIMON

AT_SIMON

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Hi All,

Could I have your opinions and best guesses please…….

First holiday up to the lakes in my new 6.1 Ocean. Only 400 miles, just over a month since registration.

Doing a little tour so moving between Carlisle and Ravenglass, half way between the engine management light illuminates!!!

The van seems down on power, but certainly not full limp mode.

pressed the ‘I’ button in the roof console which takes you ‘VW cars’ call centre who aren’t interested at all and ask me what number I’ve called !!! I have no idea just pressed the button!!!

Anyhow, have been directed to VW assist who I’ll give a call in the morning now we are pitched up.

My guess is DPF? but Surely not at 400 miles?

Guesses and opinions welcomed and I shall let everyone know the outcome tomorrow.

Simon

It's probably just a sensor. Quite a lot of the early T6's had a similar issue and was a quick fix. Some of the VW Assist patrols even had them on their vans to fix on site.

Very frustrating on your first trip though.

I had a screw in one of my tyres on the drive home back from the dealer. It didn't even have 50 miles on the clock. It still winds me up to this day!

Hi AT SIMON

What colour is the EML light ? Orange or red ?

orange is a warning , red is a problem

VW assist should attend, plug in and report the codes (take a picture of the Vw assist guys lap top) for Your records.

hopefully a minor issue that can be sorted by the Mobile guys.

mine had the EML light on before I left the dealers forecourt! Twenty minutes later the EML disappeared after a regen !

I know your vehicle is under warranty and under no circumstances would you want to do anything major yourself but it’s always worth having an OBD 2 reader in your glove box. The Carista at around £25 and you can immediately know what the problem is. Worth their weight in Gold.

Hi All,

Could I have your opinions and best guesses please…….

First holiday up to the lakes in my new 6.1 Ocean. Only 400 miles, just over a month since registration.

Doing a little tour so moving between Carlisle and Ravenglass, half way between the engine management light illuminates!!!

The van seems down on power, but certainly not full limp mode.

pressed the ‘I’ button in the roof console which takes you ‘VW cars’ call centre who aren’t interested at all and ask me what number I’ve called !!! I have no idea just pressed the button!!!

Anyhow, have been directed to VW assist who I’ll give a call in the morning now we are pitched up.

My guess is DPF? but Surely not at 400 miles?

Guesses and opinions welcomed and I shall let everyone know the outcome tomorrow.

Simon
Mine was an electrical fault in the ERG valve. 2 weeks post Registration and 900 miles.

Hi AT SIMON

What colour is the EML light ? Orange or red ?

orange is a warning , red is a problem

VW assist should attend, plug in and report the codes (take a picture of the Vw assist guys lap top) for Your records.

hopefully a minor issue that can be sorted by the Mobile guys.

mine had the EML light on before I left the dealers forecourt! Twenty minutes later the EML disappeared after a regen !

Good news is that the light is orange rather than red. Hopefully that means that the assistance guy will at least give me the ok to drive home rather than on the back of a recovery truck

I know your vehicle is under warranty and under no circumstances would you want to do anything major yourself but it’s always worth having an OBD 2 reader in your glove box. The Carista at around £25 and you can immediately know what the problem is. Worth their weight in Gold.
I think that might be the first purchase on getting home, it would at least be good to know what the problem is rather than just seeing a light.

Mine was an electrical fault in the ERG valve. 2 weeks post Registration and 900 miles.
Mrs M is convinced it’s becouse ive had a dash cam plugged in. She’s seen over on the T6 forum that these can cause a glitch where the ecu sees an electrical current being constantly drawn so causes an issue?

Mrs M is convinced it’s becouse ive had a dash cam plugged in. She’s seen over on the T6 forum that these can cause a glitch where the ecu sees an electrical current being constantly drawn so causes an issue?
I think I would put my money on a sensor or similar. After all that’s why there is a 3 yr warranty. These things can happen. Whatever the cause, get it fixed and then forget it.

Right the results are in……..

The AA have been out this morning to look over the Cali. There were no VW tech guys available in the area as we are over near the West Coast in the Lake District.

Diagnosis is ‘sticking coolant bypass valve’.

AA assured me it’s OK to drive home but haven’t cleared this down and obviously told us to book the vehicle in with VW.

If anyone has more info on the problem could you please comment, a bit of reassurance I won’t be stuck on the side of the M6 would be greatly appreciated.

Simon