Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

engine size

B

busymumdoc

hello california owners !
we are looking to buy a camper van and are wanting a california. we are complete novices and my husband states he will only consider the 180 engine power. do you think it makes a difference? we are a family of 4 with two very little boys so we come with lots of baggage ! thanks
.busymumdoc.

Hi and welcome. It has been discussed many times before on here. The California se comes with either the 140 or 180 engine in either manual or dsg. Both are more than adequate
Some camper convertors use the 85 & 102 HP engines. If your husband is adamant that he
Wants the 180 then get one its only one part of a great vehicle :thumb

thanks ! i think the trouble is all the ones that are for sale privately are 140 size...but at least i can tell him it is not that important !!! :D

busymumdoc said:
thanks ! i think the trouble is all the ones that are for sale privately are 140 size...but at least i can tell him it is not that important !!! :D
Quite a few 180 Calis for sale on this forum :thumb

larrylamb said:
busymumdoc said:
Quite a few 180 Calis for sale on this forum :thumb

Indeed there are... ;)

It is a beautiful California but we live in Scotland ! Very very far away from Cornwall.

He will deliver :laugh2 :laugh2

busymumdoc said:
It is a beautiful California but we live in Scotland ! Very very far away from Cornwall.

Our first holiday in the Cali was in Mull.
It was indeed rather a trek..!!

busymumdoc said:

Goodness, Ye of little faith!!

I left Lands End on the 9th January and I'm now in Skye :eek:

Mind you, that was 9th January 2014 :oops:

Go and test drive a 140, Edinburgh VW van centre usually have a 140 demonstrator and they are very helpful.

GrannyJen said:
busymumdoc said:

What have the winds been like?

GrannyJen said:
busymumdoc said:

With an 18 month and a 3 year old child?! ;)

They were amazing but the young one had an EPIC meltdown on the way back at an M6 service station.

sbmcd said:
GrannyJen said:
busymumdoc said:

Yes Jen, have you had the roof up? Is the van "rockin"?

Try touring through France to the Mediterranian with 5 from 6 weeks to 11 yrs old towing a 26ft Caravan with a Series 3 Landrover 110. Now that's an adventure. The California 180DSG is a dream. Admittedly there are only the 2 of us now. :bananadance

sbmcd said:
GrannyJen said:
busymumdoc said:

I have camped through three seperate severe weather warnings in three days :D

Penrith friday, two warnings in place, wind and rain. That night was wild, I was on a britstop and kept away from the trees at one end of the car park which was just as well as one fell over :eek:

I left Penrith Saturday, wallowed through floods to the M6, wind shrieking over the Solway Firth and Beattock Summit, finally reached Uig on the Ardnamurchan peninsular and parked by the beach to have everything thrown at me last night, Wind, snow, rain and a lightning storm :D

The warning in place for heavy rain today in the Western Isles and Lochaber was well justified, continuous heavy rain from early morning.

Now in a car park somewhere on Skye, wild camping, roof down.

I have nothing but huge confidence in a Cali to battle through just about anything.

Granny Jen,

Great resilience in these conditions, think you definitely qualify for an extreme camping award!

Thanks to everyone for their advice and for being so friendly ! We are going to Edinburgh during the Feb school hols :D to test drive a california.hopefully be at Cali's on the farm with him this year for my little boys birthday !

Yes Jen, have you had the roof up? Is the van "rockin"?

I've had the roof up every night but dropped it before climbing into bed, partly because I did not want the worry whilst trying to sleep, partly also it is much warmer that way.

Force 11 on Mull was interesting...
Had to lower the roof at 1am and all slept downstairs. Including the dog. We didn't get much sleep...

Back