Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Euro repatriation with bikes on a rack - Greenflag

B

BS Cali

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
On our way back from a fantastic 2 weeks across France, we went into limp mode with an amber coil warning lamp. Fault codes suggest a fuel temperature sensor issue.

Greenflag called, we had taken out a European recovery policy, french recovery driver can't repair at the road side, so the van, with 4 bikes on the back, window bags, tent, kitchen, porta potty disappeared on the back of the lorry.

I called back Greenflag, who pointed us at their European agents: Opteven. In discussing the various options to get the family and van back to Bristol, it seems that they would not repatriate a vehicle with bikes on the rear rack, and would take 4 to 6 weeks. I can't seem to find this clause in our policy and I was wondering if anyone else was aware of this, and if it applied to other providers such as AA.

We had a great time in France for the third year in a row, and plan many more trips in the future, but would like to be covered properly.

Tell them to take the bikes off the rack & put them inside the van.

Take the bikes off the rack & put them in the van.
If only there was space! We have managed to cram more and more in the van over time, and there just isn't space for 4 bikes. In addition, by the time we were told about this condition, the van had been driven off and locked up until Monday morning.

I putting aside the specifics of our situation, I was wondering if others were aware of this constraint, should they need to use recovery when in Europe?

On our way back from a fantastic 2 weeks across France, we went into limp mode with an amber coil warning lamp. Fault codes suggest a fuel temperature sensor issue.

Greenflag called, we had taken out a European recovery policy, french recovery driver can't repair at the road side, so the van, with 4 bikes on the back, window bags, tent, kitchen, porta potty disappeared on the back of the lorry.

I called back Greenflag, who pointed us at their European agents: Opteven. In discussing the various options to get the family and van back to Bristol, it seems that they would not repatriate a vehicle with bikes on the rear rack, and would take 4 to 6 weeks. I can't seem to find this clause in our policy and I was wondering if anyone else was aware of this, and if it applied to other providers such as AA.

We had a great time in France for the third year in a row, and plan many more trips in the future, but would like to be covered properly.
With the bikes on the back perhaps the maximum dimensions for recovery are exceeded ?

We added annual uk/euro breakdown as part of an annual motorhome insurance policy. Think cost was approx £100 for the year. We checked with the insurance broker that anything fixed to the van was covered if recovery was required as we also have a MFT back box that sits under the bike rack, just needs to be within 7.6m overall length.

IMG_1103.png

With the bikes on the back perhaps the maximum dimensions for recovery are exceeded ?
Yes, the agent said that the vehicle would be too big for their transport plans. My issue is that I can't find anything in the T and C's of my policy, so only became aware at the point I wanted to use the service.

Maybe my fault for not asking the right questions at point of purchase

We added annual uk/euro breakdown as part of an annual motorhome insurance policy. Think cost was approx £100 for the year. We checked with the insurance broker that anything fixed to the van was covered if recovery was required as we also have a MFT back box that sits under the bike rack, just needs to be within 7.6m overall length.

View attachment 128548
I will have to be more specific in the future. It sounds like we need something similar to what you have, but with cover in Europe. Thanks for the info

Back