Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Europe long term parking

Really no one ..........has ever left their van in mainland Europe gone home to the UK on a plane and then gone back to continue their traveling?
Wouldn’t it make more sense to hire one when you travel you could go to any location then. To me part of the joy of the Cali is having it for a spontaneous break anywhere.

Hello
I have a New California on order and on retirement looking to spend many 1-2 month blocks of time in Europe interspersed with say 1 month at home. Really don’t want to driveup home through France to Northwest UK every time. So any good location companies in say Nice or Geneva or elsewhere with a good airport for uk flights to place......the van in secure storage much appreciated. Appreciate might be battery issues And the EU 90 days issues. Any ideas thoughts most welcome
I think quite a few of us travel with dogs so we don’t have the option of flying home. We have left our van in Bordeaux airport parking for a few days and it seemed secure so. My concern would be the batteries.

Hello
I have a New California on order and on retirement looking to spend many 1-2 month blocks of time in Europe interspersed with say 1 month at home. Really don’t want to driveup home through France to Northwest UK every time. So any good location companies in say Nice or Geneva or elsewhere with a good airport for uk flights to place......the van in secure storage much appreciated. Appreciate might be battery issues And the EU 90 days issues. Any ideas thoughts most welcome
Wow

Don’t even think about it springs to mind…

Leaving a brand new California alone in Europe for a month +?
I would suggest taking some good photographs of it before you leave-to remember it by.

I have been spending a lot of time in Spain and Europe for the last 20 years, and would hesitate to leave something like that unattended for more than a day.

Some other responders to your post have also stated the real issues of insurance and mandatory vehicle registration, which would actually involve owning an address there (to register the vehicle to).
Paperwork would be onerous too.

Other issues might include physical degradation over time-with extreme heat or cold, and if you parked up with all the blinds in place (to prevent sun damage)-that is its own red flag to authorities or villains.
Garaging it could be an option of course, but going back to the same start location each time may become tiresome also.
Almost better to rent accommodation.

Have you thought about taking one of the excellent ferries to the North of Spain?
Gets you into France and the rest of Europe easily along interesting roads and infrastructure.

We do it several times a year in our California Ocean-to avoid the boring drive through the north of France-and to avoid congestion in the Southern UK!

The ferry becomes part of the experience, and Brittany Ferries have some excellent vessels.

Trying to help, so just some experience based thoughts.

Hi WelshGas and everyone

After looking at everything and all the great advice I have actually started looking at the North of Spain Ferry options at least for the first few years in a shinny new California.
Can I say it here ......without being expelled from the forum ....it’s only a very posh van with a bed...and probably a leaky roof so if I can square the insurance and battery challanges at some point I would still consider occasionally abandoning it to its fate in a “secure “car park...rather than as ThirteenCharacters says endure multiple boring drives through France and England. That way on retirement next year I can do 2-4 trip to be best bits of Europe a year, still be home when needed and the sun is shining and be in compliance with the 90 day EU rules and the 6 month vehicle registration aspects

Hi WelshGas and everyone

After looking at everything and all the great advice I have actually started looking at the North of Spain Ferry options at least for the first few years in a shinny new California.
Can I say it here ......without being expelled from the forum ....it’s only a very posh van with a bed...and probably a leaky roof so if I can square the insurance and battery challanges at some point I would still consider occasionally abandoning it to its fate in a “secure “car park...rather than as ThirteenCharacters says endure multiple boring drives through France and England. That way on retirement next year I can do 2-4 trip to be best bits of Europe a year, still be home when needed and the sun is shining and be in compliance with the 90 day EU rules and the 6 month vehicle registration aspects
We take the Portsmouth-Santander ferry route, works well for us at our age (70ish). We are off in 3 weeks to the Algarve for a couple of months: maxing out on Schengen. The drive through France is too much of a drag for us these days.

Hi WelshGas and everyone

Used the ferries on a number of occasions. The ferry to Santander is a high speed dash Across the Bay of Biscay. Stormy at certain times of the year. The ferry to Bilbao is around the coast of the Bay of Biscay. It stops for a few hours to refuel and change crew etc in a French port, but no passengers get on/off and you have 2 nights at sea. Like a mini cruise.

Used the ferries on a number of occasions. The ferry to Santander is a high speed dash Across the Bay of Biscay. Stormy at certain times of the year. The ferry to Bilbao is around the coast of the Bay of Biscay. It stops for a few hours to refuel and change crew etc in a French port, but no passengers get on/off and you have 2 nights at sea. Like a mini cruise.
That’s correct on the ferries with the 2 night crossing.

The advantages are that they cost the same price, allow you to have a nice drink and relax for the first night (not worrying about driving in the morning)-but best of all they arrive at around 0800hrs in the morning In Spain.
This allows you a full day travelling to wherever your first port of call is, nice and refreshed.

Another ‘best part’ is-they now go from Rosslare in Southern Ireland.

So for you Welsh Gas, and for you ChrisTravel from the NorthWest-it’s ideal to get a short ferry over to Ireland and then avoid both France and the South of UK driving nightmare…. :eek:)

Simples…

That’s correct on the ferries with the 2 night crossing.

The advantages are that they cost the same price, allow you to have a nice drink and relax for the first night (not worrying about driving in the morning)-but best of all they arrive at around 0800hrs in the morning In Spain.
This allows you a full day travelling to wherever your first port of call is, nice and refreshed.

Another ‘best part’ is-they now go from Rosslare in Southern Ireland.

So for you Welsh Gas, and for you ChrisTravel from the NorthWest-it’s ideal to get a short ferry over to Ireland and then avoid both France and the South of UK driving nightmare…. :eek:)

Simples…
Never used the Dover ferries. Easy to get to Southampton, Portsmouth, Plymouth or Poole from S Wales or Harwich for Northern Europe.

Never used the Dover ferries. Easy to get to Southampton, Portsmouth, Plymouth or Poole from S Wales or Harwich for Northern Europe.
Great options.

I am up north, so Ireland is the perfect hop for us.

Makes me feel like setting up our next trip…!

Hi WelshGas and everyone

Boring drives and France does not compute...... sure if you take the peage, just stick to the A roads.
I priced the ferry crossing from UK to Spain a few months ago and it was over 1300 euro. Maybe it was high season. Curious what quotes others are getting for a Cali and 2 passengers.

Hello
We live in Jersey and nearest French port is St Malo. Hate to say it but we have heard a few stories of caravans being stolen even from being stored in lock ups

Boring drives and France does not compute...... sure if you take the peage, just stick to the A roads.
I priced the ferry crossing from UK to Spain a few months ago and it was over 1300 euro. Maybe it was high season. Curious what quotes others are getting for a Cali and 2 passengers.
We normally try to make the journey to our final destination part of the holiday. Little point in belting down a motorway all day if you don’t really need to. That’s the joy of Cali ownership, it makes spontaneous stopovers quite easy and you get to see so much more of a country that way. Mind you we’re retired, so not limited to a fixed number of days.

Yes can see what your saying Grumpy and Corradobritt about enjoying the drive through France and the cost of the Spanish Ferry will try all the approaches I am sure over the next few years

Yes can see what your saying Grumpy and Corradobritt about enjoying the drive through France and the cost of the Spanish Ferry will try all the approaches I am sure over the next few years
That is it really Chris. We all have different solutions to our differing needs. You will find the one that best suits you guys. And being retired gives you the time to explore the different options at your leisure. And as Buddha is credited with saying "it is better to travel well than arrive"!!!
Good luck and enjoy the journey
John

Hi WelshGas and everyone

I’m quite prepared to undertake multiple boring drives through Europe on your behalf allowing you fly to and from any location and still have the van back home if you need it.

I’m quite prepared to undertake multiple boring drives through Europe on your behalf allowing you fly to and from any location and still have the van back home if you need it.
Taking one for the team. What a hero.

The prices do vary with the seasons and day of the week you travel But you should compare with the alternative . Cross chanel ferry + Diesel + tolls + accommodation ( if any ) to arrive in Santander or Bilbao in the same time frame.
When you do the sums there is very little difference and you've saved 2 days driving experience and arrive refreshed to start your holiday .

Back