Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Factory fit all weather tyres

Lexlogie

Lexlogie

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150

I’m thinking of upgrading to 18" x 8J Palmerston alloy wheels as a factory option on my ocean 150. Is there a way to change tyres from super low rolling to all weather equivalent as I hope these will be better in fields ect?​

Also has there been much difference on mpg and ware and tear

I’m thinking of upgrading to 18" x 8J Palmerston alloy wheels as a factory option on my ocean 150. Is there a way to change tyres from super low rolling to all weather equivalent as I hope these will be better in fields ect?​

Also has there been much difference on mpg and ware and tear
Remember No Spare wheel with 18” wheels.

MPG will be affected. Wear is variable and will depend on make fitted, often ones you’ve never heard of.

There was an option for All Season tyres, but might depend on wheel size selected.

I am confident upgrading from 17" to 18" and therefore from 215 (or 235) to 255 width will have a greater impact on fuel consumption and replacement cost once worn out.
depends on your yearly mileage.. the actual monetary difference may not be huge per year...

The standard 255/45/18 tyres have a relatively low option of tyre types manufactured (summer type in the main).

An option for a far greater range, and cheaper, is to use 235/55/18 104V preferably in an SUV version.

The popular Michelin CrossClimate SUV tyre is available in this size.

Bridgestone Weather Control A005 EVO is also well rated and slightly cheaper.

Slight loss of rim protection, gain a couple of MPH at 70 but takes speedo under-read out. Should improve fuel consumption due to slightly less width and less revelutions per mile.

255/45/18 103 are available in the above Brands Bridgestone the same - Michelin in CrossClimate+

Last edited:
The standard 255/45/18 tyres have a relatively low option of tyre types manufactured (summer type in the main).

An option for a far greater range, and cheaper, is to use 235/55/18 104V preferably in an SUV version.

The popular Michelin CrossClimate SUV tyre is available in this size.

Bridgestone Weather Control A005 EVO is also well rated and slightly cheaper.

Slight loss of rim protection, gain a couple of MPH at 70 but takes speedo under-read out. Should improve fuel consumption due to slightly less width and less revelutions per mile.

255/45/18 103 are available in the above Brands Bridgestone the same - Michelin in CrossClimate+
I’m interested in this @B J G, I am thinking of switching my 18” Tolucas to all season tyres rather than keeping them with summer tyres. It looks like the Michelin Crossclimates also come in 255/55/18 109V, presumably that would also work?

Yes I noticed that too, although its not an SUV is it? But I quite like the idea of the higher 55 sidewall on the bigger 18” wheel. Is there anything wrong with that, or the higher 109 load rating?

Yes I noticed that too, although its not an SUV is it? But I quite like the idea of the higher 55 sidewall on the bigger 18” wheel. Is there anything wrong with that, or the higher 109 load rating?
I wouldn't go for that high a profile as you will have speedo errors--30 indicated would be 32 and 70 would be 75.
Wheel arch clearances would be reduced, especially on front outer edge. Standard height suspension would possibly be OK.
Only real check would be to have a part worn tyre fitted to a rim as a test. In theory possible.

I believe that LOZ is running 235/65/17 tyres which are close in height to the 255/55/18 but obviously narrower.

I wouldn't go for that high a profile as you will have speedo errors--30 indicated would be 32 and 70 would be 75.
Wheel arch clearances would be reduced, especially on front outer edge. Standard height suspension would possibly be OK.
Only real check would be to have a part worn tyre fitted to a rim as a test. In theory possible.

I believe that LOZ is running 235/65/17 tyres which are close in height to the 255/55/18 but obviously narrower.
Fair comment thanks. It seems 235/50/18 or 255/50/18 are less common and maybe not available in 103+ load index.

Fair comment thanks. It seems 235/50/18 or 255/50/18 are less common and maybe not available in 103+ load index.
235/55/18 104V Michelin CrossClimate SUV is as close as I can find to keep within parameters of load & circumference/speed/

I prefer to go up in load rating rather down to minimum as in the 235/50/18 101

Agreed - I actually thought 103 was the minimum so I was discounting the 101’s. Interesting - I had also just landed on the 235/55/18 Crossclimate as being a possible contender. Are there any issues with insurance or warranty if you go outside the standard recommended sizes?

Speed and load are the main legal requirements.
Going up in spec saves any potential issues.

Speed and load are the main legal requirements.
Going up in spec saves any potential issues.
Thanks so much for responses! Really appreciate the advice.

Bear in mind that 18” probably means no spare wheel unless you adapt the carrier, so your journey could be alot longer if you need to be recovered.

You could potentially risk missing a ferry etc, rather than just switching wheels at the roadside & replacing the tyre enroute or at your destination.
Well not necessarily - at the moment I have a 17” Woodstock spare in the carrier which has near identical overall diameter so that works with my 18” Tolucas as well. But - if I did go to the higher sidewall alternative of 235/55/18 the spare might be a problem I agree. Maybe I am best to stick to standard size tyres after all. Meanwhile the Woodstocks are back on while I have another think about it!

01B0D703-6C16-43A0-A384-9A296147A439.png

5EFFC608-6CD1-4B31-99DC-B17035397CBE.jpeg

Something to add from my recent experience changing wheels. No doubt others with more experience have said it before. Although I found the onboard jack is ok, getting the wheel off is not easy - because the wheelnuts are ‘kin tight at 180Nm and I doubt I would have got them undone without a long breaker bar. Also it needed several fairly hefty kicks to shift the wheel off the hub. At home that was ok with my back up against the garage wall, but in an open space it would be harder I think. Retightening to 180Nm - again I think I would struggle to get anywhere near that with the short spanner in the onboard kit. I am now carrying the breaker bar and a big torque wrench at all times so I can actually do it at the roadside if needed. I would strongly recommend any inexperienced Cali owners like me have a practice at home before doing it for real out on the road, it is definitely harder than any car wheel I have changed before.

Before anyone spots my ‘deliberate’ mistake, this is the correct comparison! :headbang

0AE43295-1BBB-4C49-880C-8A31892C68E9.png

Well not necessarily - at the moment I have a 17” Woodstock spare in the carrier which has near identical overall diameter so that works with my 18” Tolucas as well. But - if I did go to the higher sidewall alternative of 235/55/18 the spare might be a problem I agree. Maybe I am best to stick to standard size tyres after all. Meanwhile the Woodstocks are back on while I have another think about it!

View attachment 85999

View attachment 86000
A 235/60/17 will fit giving virtually the same circumference.
A Michelin CrossClimate SUV (which I have fitted) fits into the rack 106V load rated.
most 235/60/17's are 102 load rated which as you know is sufficient.

Something to add from my recent experience changing wheels. No doubt others with more experience have said it before. Although I found the onboard jack is ok, getting the wheel off is not easy - because the wheelnuts are ‘kin tight at 180Nm and I doubt I would have got them undone without a long breaker bar. Also it needed several fairly hefty kicks to shift the wheel off the hub. At home that was ok with my back up against the garage wall, but in an open space it would be harder I think. Retightening to 180Nm - again I think I would struggle to get anywhere near that with the short spanner in the onboard kit. I am now carrying the breaker bar and a big torque wrench at all times so I can actually do it at the roadside if needed. I would strongly recommend any inexperienced Cali owners like me have a practice at home before doing it for real out on the road, it is definitely harder than any car wheel I have changed before.

That’s why I joined the AA.
So they can replace the bugg8r roadside…

View attachment 85999

View attachment 86000
Hi Graham, what tyre size and brand/model did you settle with? Any issues?

Hi Graham, what tyre size and brand/model did you settle with? Any issues?
Sorry cant say - I’m still on the standard 17”” Woodstocks with the factory fit all seasons. After going all round the houses on the options, I think on balance if I do switch back to the Tolucas I will go with a standard size fitment, mainly because the different size of the spare would be an issue otherwise.

Back