Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fat bike tires fit on the official T6 bike rack?

K

Krispy

As per the title, just wondering if anyone can confirm weather or not a fat bike will fit on the T6 rack? I bought an E-GO Max+ folding electric bike at the weekend which just about fits on top of the bed extension board of my 6.1 Ocean. It's a lovely bike, but it's heavy and awkward to get in there, and forces you to have the rear seats about half a foot forward. Really far from ideal, and I could kick myself for not taking the time to measure things out more carefully before buying it.

So - now thinking about going for a rack based solution. And because I have got tow bar prep - I'm asking this question.

It came up briefly in another thread, but I didn't feel it was answered conclusively, so feedback would be greatly appreciated.

The wheels are 4.25" in diameter.

Thanks!

Hi

I have a fat bike running 4.8” tyre and the t6 rack. The tyres don’t sit in the channel and the plastic retaining straps don’t go round the tyres - they’d need to be 3x longer to achieve this.

I normally play the tyres on top of the channel and use a couple of cut down webbing straps to hold it down, butting the tyre up against the plastic chock for stability.

A couple of things from my experience:

The back end is 197mm on the bike so the chain stays are much wider to accommodate the wheel. This can rub on the bike rack itself if you put the bike on the nearest channel. Easily solved with a pad or moving it further out

The front tyre catches a lot of wind as it sticks out more and this can lead to the tyre twisting of not well secured. Not a huge issue as a webbing strap will hold it well enough but if you don’t tie it down it could move.

Hope this helps

David

Back