Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW T6 Bike Rack - Individual bike weight limit

S

Sannox

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi - We have the VW official 4 Bike Rack on the rear of our Cali and it has been great so far, but we now want to swap one of our standard bikes for an e-Bike. The rack has an individual bike weight limit of 17kg and an overall limit of 60kg. Most e-bikes are around the 22kg - 24kg range even without their batteries so we would certainly be over the individual limit though nowhere near the overall rack limit. I assume that the issue is the individual "trays" that the bikes sit in that is the reason for the individual limit and was looking for a way to potentially strengthen the tray. I could remove one of the other trays, bolt them together to create a stronger base, as we only ever carry two bikes. But I think that it may compromise the rigidity of the frame having a gap where a tray used to be. You can't buy individual trays as spare parts either. Any other ideas? I can't go the tow-bar bike rack route, as my Cali didn't have the pre-wiring done, so it's a fortune to fit a tow-bar in the first place. Thanks

Hi - We have the VW official 4 Bike Rack on the rear of our Cali and it has been great so far, but we now want to swap one of our standard bikes for an e-Bike. The rack has an individual bike weight limit of 17kg and an overall limit of 60kg. Most e-bikes are around the 22kg - 24kg range even without their batteries so we would certainly be over the individual limit though nowhere near the overall rack limit. I assume that the issue is the individual "trays" that the bikes sit in that is the reason for the individual limit and was looking for a way to potentially strengthen the tray. I could remove one of the other trays, bolt them together to create a stronger base, as we only ever carry two bikes. But I think that it may compromise the rigidity of the frame having a gap where a tray used to be. You can't buy individual trays as spare parts either. Any other ideas? I can't go the tow-bar bike rack route, as my Cali didn't have the pre-wiring done, so it's a fortune to fit a tow-bar in the first place. Thanks
Have you weighed the bike without battery. I have a ebike conversion and without the battery it was only 1.5kgm heavier. I think you would be perfectly fine as long as the ebike was on the 1st rail closest to the vehicle.

Hi - thanks for the reply. I am going on bike weights quoted by manufacturers and without battery they are still 22kg - 24kg. I also thought that the tray closest to the vehicle would be best, but these weights are still 5kg - 7kg over the individual tray limit without battery irrespective of which tray you use. I am sure VW built in a tolerance, but this is nearly 25% over the guide.

I’ve a T5 with the ‘prettier’ VW bike rack.
I regularly put 4 bikes on, one of which is an XL CUBE ebike.
I ensure I remove the battery and saddle.
I’ve had no issues as far as I can tell.
(3 other bikes plus ebike are under the total 60kg limit.)

I always mount the ebike nearest the van. (1st one)
I find it fine, but at 6’8” tall I have an advantage.

Hi - thanks for the reply. I am going on bike weights quoted by manufacturers and without battery they are still 22kg - 24kg. I also thought that the tray closest to the vehicle would be best, but these weights are still 5kg - 7kg over the individual tray limit without battery irrespective of which tray you use. I am sure VW built in a tolerance, but this is nearly 25% over the guide.

I would say that provided you are within the total weight limit of the rack, then you should be ok.(Test the tray weight with a small child standing on it with feet where the wheels would be if you don’t have the bike yet )

We carried an e-bike weighing about 20kgs (without the battery), and a 'normal' bike of about 9kgs on the VW rack from home to Tromso and back with no issue. We carried the big bike in the position nearest the van every time. Always rock solid on the rack. Also had about 10kgs of locks on as well.

Took the rack off a few weeks ago and it demonstrated no wear or stress in any component that I could see with the naked eye. Also, the paint on the van was unblemished. One final note, we never tried to open the tailgate with bikes on. That looked a recipe for trouble.

We carried an e-bike weighing about 20kgs (without the battery), and a 'normal' bike of about 9kgs on the VW rack from home to Tromso and back with no issue. We carried the big bike in the position nearest the van every time. Always rock solid on the rack. Also had about 10kgs of locks on as well.

Took the rack off a few weeks ago and it demonstrated no wear or stress in any component that I could see with the naked eye. Also, the paint on the van was unblemished. One final note, we never tried to open the tailgate with bikes on. That looked a recipe for trouble.
Very envious of your trip - sounds great - and encouraging the rack dealt with the weight. Thanks