Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First ?? 180 Bi-Turbo performance upgrade

M

MickyBlue

VIP Member
Read about this elsewhere, and wondered if it was the first upgrade to be made available in the UK.

The story goes that the security encryption in the newest ECU's is incredibly difficult to decyfer, & allegedly these people have worked with VW in Milton Keynes to produce this. How true this all is I have no clue, but thought I would post a link to see if there is anymore info on it out there

http://www.richtersport.co.uk/product.php?productID=74

These are the Chaps who have done it

http://www.richtersport.co.uk/index.php

I know they have a good reputation. A number of guys at work have had Audi's that have been breathed on by them.

Those standard figures aren't bad.

Over 200bhp for a 2.0 litre diesel seems a lot but then I guess the 123d BMW manages okay.

Remapping seems popular but not convinced. Can get my BMW from 304 to 350bhp and 430 to 515lbs-ft with a good remap but we plan to keep it for a while and I'm just not convinced the drivetrain will take it! It's pretty nippy as it is.

The Cali would benefit from a bit more poke IMO, even in 180 form - a LOT of weight to move around!

What are the insurance implications when are remap provides additional power ?

From my previous experience with Comfort insurance and our previous coachbuilt Fiat Ducato based MH just £25 documentation fee.

That was a year or so ago so I would check before going ahead, but it was not deemed to increase insurance risk on a MH in the same way as a passenger car.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

There is another thing to consider
If you get a remap and vw call it back for a software update it will wipe the remap
Unless the company that does the remap agree to re do it after. Just a consideration. :thumb

Calikev said:
There is another thing to consider
If you get a remap and vw call it back for a software update it will wipe the remap
Unless the company that does the remap agree to re do it after. Just a consideration. :thumb

The good tuners IME (as I'm led to believe these guys are) will re do it for free if this occurs.

There are no specific T&C's on their web site, but again, it would be something anyone should check before going ahead.

This would be one area where Superchips Bluefin type systems are a big advantage as you store the base map on you're own device, then upload the new map, & this can be reversed as necessary (say if the van is going in to the dealers).

However, from what I have read, this isn't possible with 'this' ECU, as the re-map can't be done via the OBDC port

Re-maps for the 180 have been around a year or so. Emaps and Pendle already do them. The other alternative is a DTUK digital uning box. Both options get similar results, approx 210bhp, but obviously the box can be unplugged when the vehicle goes in for warranty work if necessary.

On the road, the performance, is quite staggering, the extra torque and power make quite a difference, really how the engine should have come out of the factory. Fuel economy is improved too, by about 2-3mpg.

Wear on the engine isn't really a factor as the engines are de-tuned from the factory to cope with all the different fuel grades available around the world, and the re-map, if done properly, doesn't get near the upper limits.

Most of the decent remap firms include a warranty :thumb

Yes , both an Emaps remap and a DTUK box on two of my ex rental vehicles that I sold (vans not Californias), and it really makes you greatful that the brakes are uprated on the 180. The mid range is just phenomenal. Like I said before, they should have come out of the factory like this.

They pull hard from 1000 all the ways 5000rpm!

Back