Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First time purchase

B

Bedrock bill

Vehicle
Just browsing
Hi all. After owning 5 Vw vans over the last 24 years
We have decided to try a California. We want to buy new. It’s between a surf and an ocean.
Any tips and advice Also can they be used as a daily ? Cheers bill

I moved to an Ocean a month ago and it’s now my daily driver. I also have a VW Tiguan my wife now uses, TBH I’m find the Ocean fine to use, park etc, not really that much bigger and the better visibility seems to make manoeuvres no problem. To me the difference between the Surf and Ocean is really down to few nice to haves like digital dash, reverse camera, bigger alloys etc. On the flip side it’s cheaper so TBH depends on what you want / need.

I moved to an Ocean a month ago and it’s now my daily driver. I also have a VW Tiguan my wife now uses, TBH I’m find the Ocean fine to use, park etc, not really that much bigger and the better visibility seems to make manoeuvres no problem. To me the difference between the Surf and Ocean is really down to few nice to haves like digital dash, reverse camera, bigger alloys etc. On the flip side it’s cheaper so TBH depends on what you want / need.
Thank you. Also I noticed the surf doesn’t come with the side awning We like the thought of the awning and sitting outside ?

Going to view a new California surf 73 plate tomorrow with a view to purchase. How do I know if this particular vehicle has the leaky roof issue ?
Cheers bill

If the roof bellows are two-tone (off white inside, grey or other colour outside), they are MY '23 and are likely to leak along the stitch lines, its a design / materials issue rather than a variable manufacturing fault where some do and some don't. Search for leaking bellows threads if you want to know more.

Going to view a new California surf 73 plate tomorrow with a view to purchase. How do I know if this particular vehicle has the leaky roof issue ?
Cheers bill
All Surfs are MY23 so I would be amazed if this one somehow didn’t have leaky bellows. No way to test for leaks when you view unless it’s raining and you’re prepared to be patient, but you can be pretty certain it will purely because it’s a MY23.

As mentioned, given the right conditions ie saturating rain, the will all leak, some worse than others. It's mainly the front section that fails most frequently, but some owners have experienced leaks on all 4 panels depending on the prevailing wind and direction of rain.

Thanks what do you all advise me to ask / say to the dealer then ? If I buy or would you walk away ?

Thats a tough question. How desperate are you for a Cali? If having to deal with leaking bellows is a deal breaker don't bother ordering now. Yes, you can reject within 30 days but it's still a hassle depending one the dealer. Wait a couple of months or until a fix is demonstrated in the field. If you want one no matter what order now and avoid the risk that the books close without warning. Order from Tom @breeze and get a complimentary cover which will tide you over until the fix is available. GL with the decision.

Thats a tough question. How desperate are you for a Cali? If having to deal with leaking bellows is a deal breaker don't bother ordering now. Yes, you can reject within 30 days but it's still a hassle depending one the dealer. Wait a couple of months or until a fix is demonstrated in the field. If you want one no matter what order now and avoid the risk that the books close without warning. Order from Tom @breeze and get a complimentary cover which will tide you over until the fix is available. GL with the decision.
Cheers not desperate I can wait till
Next spring tbh. Just been told this deal ends oct 31st that’s all.

Cheers not desperate I can wait till
Next spring tbh. Just been told this deal ends oct 31st that’s all.
Or you could try and pick up a 2022 pre bellowsgate model over the winter.

Any idea when new California will start coming through that are fixed / sorted ?

I honestly wouldn't buy it. Your buying trouble. Get a nice 2nd hand one . 22 or older. Some are good as new with warranty. Asking the dealer about it is a waste of time. They don't know what they're talking about 90 % of the time and the others will lie to you to get the sale. Your choice though,good luck

Went to view and explore the cali surf yesterday
I really like it and it will be great. I asked the salesman about the leaking issues he seemed to dismiss it and said if there’s a problem bring it back and we will sort it. But I’m not sure if I want the hassle tbh.

I really like it and it will be great. I asked the salesman about the leaking issues he seemed to dismiss it and said if there’s a problem bring it back and we will sort it. But I’m not sure if I want the hassle tbh.
If the salesperson has kept up to date with what is going on, he will know that he cannot sort it, at least until VW can provide a permanent fix, whatever that may be.

If you are not concerned about buying new, a used van as @flying banana mentioned a few comments up would be a good option.

I would stay well clear of that dealer.