Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First trip abroad

S

spitzie

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
After 6 months ownership the Cali has been used for day trips and the odd single night, until last week when it went on a 5 night trip to the Le Mans 24 hours.
An issue with the ferry, not the fault of the Cali but the guy I travel with. We were going in his estate so he booked the ferry, but later on we decided on the cali. He amended the reg but forgot to change the height, eventually we got on the ferry.
What should the Cali be booked as?
The Cali cruised happily to the campsite, just a little awkward at the automatic toll booths due to the height.
The temperature in the shade was low to mid 30s and the fridge matched to stay cool, but I did have to remember to change the setting down at night to stop things freezing at the bottom. There was no electric hook-up, and the leisure battery eventually drained after 3 days, but 30 minutes of engine running charged it enough to last the rest of the trip.
Because the campsite was so dusty and also for security the Cali was locked up most of the day, which made the inside like a sauna when I got back in the evening, but soon cooled down once opened.
The Cali was a definite bonus this trip and I learnt a few more things about it ready for the next time.

You will get a number of answers to your question but for me the easiest way to manage this is to book via https://www.aferry.co.uk/
They allow you to specify your Cali with extra height and/or length to suit your load/luggage. Here is a screen dump to illustrate.
upload_2017-6-20_8-45-32.png

Good for you having a tilt at France by Cali. The Le Mans experience can be 'a little rough around the edges' but I enjoyed my time tenting there - must've been crazy hot last weekend!

Could've been worse, imagine if you were in the Toyota team!!

After 6 months ownership the Cali has been used for day trips and the odd single night, until last week when it went on a 5 night trip to the Le Mans 24 hours.
An issue with the ferry, not the fault of the Cali but the guy I travel with. We were going in his estate so he booked the ferry, but later on we decided on the cali. He amended the reg but forgot to change the height, eventually we got on the ferry.
The Cali cruised happily to the campsite, just a little awkward at the automatic toll booths due to the height.
The temperature in the shade was low to mid 30s and the fridge matched to stay cool, but I did have to remember to change the setting down at night to stop things freezing at the bottom. There was no electric hook-up, and the leisure battery eventually drained after 3 days, but 30 minutes of engine running charged it enough to last the rest of the trip.
Because the campsite was so dusty and also for security the Cali was locked up most of the day, which made the inside like a sauna when I got back in the evening, but soon cooled down once opened.
The Cali was a definite bonus this trip and I learnt a few more things about it ready for the next time.
We have just returned from France and went by Brittany Ferries. They consider the vehicle to be 'overheight' which makes it a little more expensive but though you load last with the trucks ect when you get to the other side you are first off.

Back