Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First trip to Cornwall

John Dearing

John Dearing

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi

We took our new 140 DSG on its first outing to Cornwall last week and had a brilliant time. We stayed Mon-Tues at Menallack Farm near Maenporth on the south coast and Wed-Thurs at Beacon Farm campsite near Chapel Port cove on the north coast - both with great views. On our second night we experienced the full force of an Atlantic gale with Hollywood rain and - remembering that the pop-ups shouldn't be used in storms - decided to close it down at 2 am and sleep downstairs! How much of a storm can they take? I've now read most of the manual and getting to grips with all the functions and so on - and can't believe how well designed and engineered it all seems to be. One question though. The auxillary heater goes through a loud ticking phase with full fan blowing cold air before it settles down - is this typical? The days were surprisingly sunny and warm, and we managed days on the beach and continued the next leg of walking the whole SW coastal path. Loved the driving with the DSG and cruise control. A manual would have been my first choice - but wouldn't change it now. Covered just under 600 miles with overall 38 mpg - which seems pretty good given that 100 miles were up and down Cornish hills at about 10-15 mpg. Now trying to work out which small double bed mattress topper for upstairs - foam or filling?

Can't wait to get back on the road. I think we made the right decision.....

Cheers John and Alix

Yes heater is normal. We also wanted manual but ended up with DSG and would now not change.

Sounds like a great trip.

I've had my top open, inadvertently, in 50+ mph gale but was uncomfortable. The only reason that I stuck with it was that I was more nervous about getting it down!

Ticking from the heater is normal. It just blends into the background after a while.

Isn't the SWCP a wonderful world-rated treasure? I'm on my second trip round, restarting at Ilfracombe in a couple of weeks time, family problems allowing.

Yes, the Cali is truly a life-changing, well-designed, tough vehicle.