Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fitting a Solar Camper Solutions 100W Panel to a MY21 6.1 Ocean

Brilliant, thank you!

I have the Dual Battery MPPT LCD - Epever Duo Dual 260W + Bluetooth Model (Leisure AND Starter charger) arriving for my set up. Does anyone have any advice/pictures/videos to help with feeding the wires through the cupboards under the fridge/cupboards/sink to the battery under the seat please?

Brilliant, thank you!

I have the Dual Battery MPPT LCD - Epever Duo Dual 260W + Bluetooth Model (Leisure AND Starter charger) arriving for my set up. Does anyone have any advice/pictures/videos to help with feeding the wires through the cupboards under the fridge/cupboards/sink to the battery under the seat please?
Hi, @Roger Donoghue includes detailed installation instructions (with photos) with his kits.

Brilliant, thank you!

I might be wrong but as the battery under the seat is just your second leisure and that charges in series you might need to take the starter charger cable all the way to the battery in the engine compartment. Should be in your instructions though.

Hi, @Roger Donoghue includes detailed installation instructions (with photos) with his kits.
He does but I found the instructions indicative of someone who had put in 100 panels, not someone doing their first. I had to read a few times to work out what to do and watch a few YT videos. Mainly BB&B. The instructions on how to best route the cable from the grommet to the top of the cupboard are quite limited. I feel the OPs pain.

Last edited:
I might be wrong but as the battery under the seat is just your second leisure and that charges in series you might need to take the starter charger cable all the way to the battery in the engine compartment. Should be in your instructions though.
Think you can connect under the passenger seat where the split charge connects to the leisure battery, without needing to run wire to engine battery…but someone else can probably advise.

One last question please all. Can the connections be made to the battery under the drivers seat without having to remove the seat to do it?

One last question please all. Can the connections be made to the battery under the drivers seat without having to remove the seat to do it?
The main solar connection +tve and -tve are to the rear leisure battery. The engine battery lead is connected under the front passenger seat RHD or drivers seat LHD. You don't have to remove the seat from the vehicle but you do have to move it to gain access.
Switch off ignition and remove key. Do Not switch on Ignition until job finished. Undo the 4 bolts/nuts that secure seat to sliding rails and lean seat forward to rest on steering wheel. Wind seat backwards to reclining position to provide good access. There will be 2 wiring connectors going to the seat. They can be disconnected if required but must be reconnected properly before replacing seat. Connect the solar wire. Seat back into position and replace 4 bolts/nuts to secure seats.
Job completed.

The main solar connection +tve and -tve are to the rear leisure battery. The engine battery lead is connected under the front passenger seat RHD or drivers seat LHD. You don't have to remove the seat from the vehicle but you do have to move it to gain access.
Switch off ignition and remove key. Do Not switch on Ignition until job finished. Undo the 4 bolts/nuts that secure seat to sliding rails and lean seat forward to rest on steering wheel. Wind seat backwards to reclining position to provide good access. There will be 2 wiring connectors going to the seat. They can be disconnected if required but must be reconnected properly before replacing seat. Connect the solar wire. Seat back into position and replace 4 bolts/nuts to secure seats.
Job completed.
Thank you very much!

Part 2

Next step was to attach the cable to the battery. I was a little confused here at first but the instructions are right. Just just need to attach the red to the + bolt as described. Leave the black off - you put this on when the battery is back in place onto the clamp bolt. You need a 10mm socket for the battery positive clamp bolt.

When this is done slide the battery back in and then clamp the black cable as shown using the clamp bolt. Effectively you “earth” the negative cable rather than attaching to the actual battery. Just keep your cover off and the spare MPPT wire to hand as you need to move it about when doing the final fit and finish.

View attachment 98534View attachment 98535

Then I did a test before routing the wire and just checked that power from the battery was going to the MPPT. This seemed fine - the blue light at the bottom of the unit flashes. Then removed it again ready to route.

View attachment 98536

Ok - bottom done, but not tidy, I then started on the top.

First the panel position is about 50cm from the rear - as shown here. Then I attached the curly cable to the clip, also making good the straight edge from the cable with the ties onto the aluminium panel bar, as per the instructions. I also fitted the protector sheet under the clip - why not.

View attachment 98537View attachment 98538View attachment 98539View attachment 98540
View attachment 98541

With this all in position I then decided to test the MPPT again, voila, power to the batteries from the panel. The blue light is permanently on when working. Not much charge - but it was enough to have charged the battery by end of day. Not very sunny today!

View attachment 98542View attachment 98543

Final steps in part 3.
Crikey... not sure I will have time before this year's Latitude. Thanks for the detailed instructions. Will see how long we last "on batteries alone" ... may well be preparing this for next years festivals. BTW, have the van charging from domestic supply so at least should start full

@dspuk realise this is a bit of a thread resurrection, but I've ordered a kit from Roger and intend to fit this weekend (weather permitting). In terms of the tailgate grommet, did you just make the hole and force the connector plug through (I assume there is one, not a bare wire or did you cut and rejoin?) and either way, did you then do anything to ensure the seal around the cable, e.g. smear of silicone sealant or anything?

Thank you (belatedly!) for the thread - some very helpful reading there.

@dspuk realise this is a bit of a thread resurrection, but I've ordered a kit from Roger and intend to fit this weekend (weather permitting). In terms of the tailgate grommet, did you just make the hole and force the connector plug through (I assume there is one, not a bare wire or did you cut and rejoin?) and either way, did you then do anything to ensure the seal around the cable, e.g. smear of silicone sealant or anything?

Mine was just a bare, soldered wire tip, no plug as there were screwed connectors on the MPPT controller.

I snipped a little hole at the bottom of the grommet and squeezed the plug and wire through. A little washing up liquid lubricated the process. Really easy, even this irretrievably ham-fisted mega-klutz managed it without problems. Take your time, think it through and you'll be fine!

It’s just a bare wire as you need to thread it through and then connect to the MPPT terminals. I used a drill bit 1mm smaller than the cable thickness to make the hole. Seals fine, no need for anything else. You might want to put some spray on it to help you pull the cable through.

Cheers all. :) This is why I like forums; on social media, on the rare occasion someone puts detailed effort into something it then disappears due to the algorithms. Forums, on the other hand, allow one to resurface something relatively easily and can draw on the expertise therein. :cool:

Back