Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fitting Ecoflow Alternator Charger in a GC680

DonGraham

DonGraham

VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 680
Not a detailed installation instruction, but a few pointers. I have an Ecoflow Delta2 with additional Delta2 battery sitting on top mounted at the rear of the 680, under the external shower, secured with 2 x Rok straps and a block of insulation board just to keep it off the rear cupboard wall to ensure cooling fan airflow.
Fitting the Alternator charger under the external shower plinth there is "just" enough cable length to reach the starter battery. In my case the cable has to run over the floor between the rear seat and passenger seat, not really an issue as it is covered by the carpet, close to the sidewall and not where you would be standing on.
A few points:
Cable run through rear cupboard, technical cupboard (remove bottom faceplate) , wardrobe to washroom cupboard is all fairly straight forward. Just try and make sure there are no twists in the cable as you run it through as it will kink and trying to get twists out in confined spaces is not easy! Getting the cable through the washroom and under the rear seat was easier than expected. I used a small length of thin blue fairly rigid water pipe that I has spare from the caravan and routed it through, near the heating duct that goes from under the seat through the washroom wall. Then I pushed some strimmer line through the water pipe to use as a draw lead. Getting the cable under the passenger seat I found more of a challenge! Because of the lack of cable length a more direct route had to be taken, lifting the grey plastic floor joining strip, routing the cable underneath and then under the floor covering and seat. I used the same method of finding a route under the seat using the plastic water pipe, but it took a number of attempts to find a route suitable to keep away from the existing wiring to the fuse box that exists under there. This took the longest time of the fit as there are so many thin wires to avoid and requires a gentle approach! Finally connecting to the leisure battery and the negative to a battery box bolt. I ran a tap down the bolt thread to remove any coating and put the bolt through a die then coated with thin grease to ensure maximum continuity and prevent corrosion. There is a metal collar through the plastic battery box, so there is no issue with relying on plastic to ensure tightness of the negative connection. Then a couple of cuts to the battery box cover, for cable entry and also a mod where the negative bolts to to ensure the cover closes properly.
Adding the Alternator Charger to the Ecoflow App and then testing, all worked first time, although in my case I have to unplug the Aux battery to Delta2 cable and charge them seperately. I have been in touch with Ecoflow and they tell me they are considering making a modified cable or socket doubler so that both Delta2 and Aux battery can be charged at the same time, that would be much more convenient.
Cheers Don

Last edited:
Brilliant. I am considering one of these for my ocean. Did you consider alternator capacity ? Mine is 150A so Im sure there is plenty spare. Have you tried charging on the move? - does it work as described? Thanks!

Hi, I believe the GC alternator is 180A, but you can throttle back the Ecoflow on the App if required. Just tested it on the drive so far and works fine, so no reason to doubt it, fingers crossed!

Great write up. You say leisure battery but sounds
like you’ve wired to the battery under the passenger seat which is the starter battery. Or have I misunderstood the wiring run? If the latter how did you get though into the engine bay ?

My mistake, well spotted Gordon! I have wired to the starter battery below the passenger seat, now corrected on my original thread. The cable is just long enough to reach the starter battery, not sure if longer cables are available if you did want to wire to under the bonnet...

Ah, that makes sense and seems to be the path most people are taking for simplicity. I believe some folks are wiring to the live side of the switch in the utility cupboard to attach to the leisure battery. Some debate about maximum draw in that case as the existing wiring is unlikely to support the full 76A capability of the EcoFlow device plus whatever the habitation is drawing. 30A has been suggested as a limit to set the EcoFlow to for that reason and to stay within a limit that it’s claimed VW ‘advises’ as maximum additional draw on the system. I’ve been unable to find any formal VW statement around that but saw it called out in a German FB group by one of the companies that does a full lithium conversion for the GC which is VW approved.

Excellent writeup and a very interesting setup. So you can use the Delta 2 to say run a toaster without EHU for example?

Excellent writeup and a very interesting setup. So you can use the Delta 2 to say run a toaster without EHU for example?
Correct; electric kettle, toaster, and so on. Another mod (done by Gordon above) allows for the GC to be fooled into thinking it's on EHU without plugging it in, but instead running off the EcoFlows which allows for full plug usage etc too.

Correct; electric kettle, toaster, and so on. Another mod (done by Gordon above) allows for the GC to be fooled into thinking it's on EHU without plugging it in, but instead running off the EcoFlows which allows for full plug usage etc too.
dos this not cause a bit of a problem - the van enables the 'EHU charger' for the leisure batteries when it receives 240v, so you end up charging them too?

Ah, that makes sense and seems to be the path most people are taking for simplicity. I believe some folks are wiring to the live side of the switch in the utility cupboard to attach to the leisure battery. Some debate about maximum draw in that case as the existing wiring is unlikely to support the full 76A capability of the EcoFlow device plus whatever the habitation is drawing. 30A has been suggested as a limit to set the EcoFlow to for that reason and to stay within a limit that it’s claimed VW ‘advises’ as maximum additional draw on the system. I’ve been unable to find any formal VW statement around that but saw it called out in a German FB group by one of the companies that does a full lithium conversion for the GC which is VW approved.
very interesting. Thats the way I would wire it, since there is a leisure battery in the rear (easier to connect to). would be a shame not to be able to exploit the full 800w (76A)

dos this not cause a bit of a problem - the van enables the 'EHU charger' for the leisure batteries when it receives 240v, so you end up charging them too?
Yes it will charge the leisure battery too the same as on EHU, reducing the energy available from the Ecoflow, but that can be overcome by pulling out the lead of the "EHU charger" or switching it off at the circuit breaker in the technical cupboard.

very interesting. Thats the way I would wire it, since there is a leisure battery in the rear (easier to connect to). would be a shame not to be able to exploit the full 800w (76A

Yes it will charge the leisure battery too the same as on EHU, reducing the energy available from the Ecoflow, but that can be overcome by pulling out the lead of the "EHU charger" or switching it off at the circuit breaker in the technical cupboard.
Wouldn’t you just turn the EcoFlow alternator off at that point via its app? As you are connected to the starter battery you will not be able to support the leisure battery via the EcoFlow alternator setup but can still use the changeover system.

Wouldn’t you just turn the EcoFlow alternator off at that point via its app? As you are connected to the starter battery you will not be able to support the leisure battery via the EcoFlow alternator setup but can still use the changeover system.
yes good idea. switch on and off via app just for the time you need it (assuming your not using it for long duration slow draw appliances)

Thanks for a great write up.
My only question is, does this massive current draw bring up any dash warnings. If not, fitting a big B-B should be ok, making lithium upgrade much easier.

Yes, the Ecoflow Alternator charger only comes into play when the engine is running and giving 13v or above charge to the starter battery. It can be fully controlled from the App.
If the starter battery is below 13v, the Alternator Charger goes to sleep. When using (in my case) the Ecoflow Delta2 connected to the van EHU, then the van thinks it is connected to a normal mains supply, and will start to charge the leisure battery as it will normally. This in itself is not a problem, except it will add to the load of the Ecoflow and reduce the time remaining for perhaps more important demands. If you were getting low of Ecoflow power then the EHU charger can be disconnect as mentioned above, or I suppose an off/on switch could be added to the mains lead under the passenger seat.

Thanks for a great write up.
My only question is, does this massive current draw bring up any dash warnings. If not, fitting a big B-B should be ok, making lithium upgrade much easier.
Hi, not sure about lithium upgrade, but it doesn't bring up any dash warnings and charges at 800w ok at just tick over engine speed.

Yes, the Ecoflow Alternator charger only comes into play when the engine is running and giving 13v or above charge to the starter battery. It can be fully controlled from the App.
If the starter battery is below 13v, the Alternator Charger goes to sleep. When using (in my case) the Ecoflow Delta2 connected to the van EHU, then the van thinks it is connected to a normal mains supply, and will start to charge the leisure battery as it will normally. This in itself is not a problem, except it will add to the load of the Ecoflow and reduce the time remaining for perhaps more important demands. If you were getting low of Ecoflow power then the EHU charger can be disconnect as mentioned above, or I suppose an off/on switch could be added to the mains lead under the passenger seat.
Hows it going? Can I ask a few further questions...

Do you see the current draw of the alternator charger show on your van display (Im assuming it has one like the t6.1) when the engine is running and the charger is on?

Is there a risk that the alternator charger could drain the starter battery if you didnt manually switch on and off? (not sure I understand the 13v - are you saying the battery will never provide 13v when its not being fed power from an alternator, so the alternator charger is smart in this respect and uses this as a sign that an alternator is operational or not)?

I would like to connect the alternator charger to the leisure battery. Did you investigate this option and if it had any complications (confusing the EHU charger, split relays, van power meter, cable capacities etc.)?

Thanks.

Just incase you are not aware - the GCs hookup battery charger charges BOTH batteries and so the EAC (Ecoflow Alternator Charger) will see the voltage on the starter battery rise above 13V and likely begin charging the Ecoflow and if it is the Ecoflow that is actually providing the EHU mains in the first place that's not something you will want. Its just a trickle charge to the starter (around 2.5A) so you may end ups with odd oscillations as thing kick in and out. May be best to seek a way to isolate the EAC from operating when your Delta 2 is providing the EHU mains supply.

I would like to connect the alternator charger to the leisure battery. Did you investigate this option and if it had any complications (confusing the EHU charger, split relays, van power meter, cable capacities etc.)?

Thanks.
I have the alternator charger connected to the leisure battery under the passenger seat in my Beach. I don’t normally use EHU.
- When on the road I set the Delta2 to charge once the voltage is over 13v (i.e. leisure battery is charged).
- When parked up I switch it so that the Delta2 supports the leisure battery on the trickle charge setting.

This way I can still use the van’s 12v socket for a fridge and if I need to run anything on 240v I connect it directly to the Delta2. Seems to work but I’m still testing the set up.

I have the alternator charger connected to the leisure battery under the passenger seat in my Beach. I don’t normally use EHU.
- When on the road I set the Delta2 to charge once the voltage is over 13v (i.e. leisure battery is charged).
- When parked up I switch it so that the Delta2 supports the leisure battery on the trickle charge setting.

This way I can still use the van’s 12v socket for a fridge and if I need to run anything on 240v I connect it directly to the Delta2. Seems to work but I’m still testing the set up.
Excellent!.. i want to connect it to the rear battery in my Ocean. Do you have 2 leisure batteries?

Just incase you are not aware - the GCs hookup battery charger charges BOTH batteries and so the EAC (Ecoflow Alternator Charger) will see the voltage on the starter battery rise above 13V and likely begin charging the Ecoflow and if it is the Ecoflow that is actually providing the EHU mains in the first place that's not something you will want. Its just a trickle charge to the starter (around 2.5A) so you may end ups with odd oscillations as thing kick in and out. May be best to seek a way to isolate the EAC from operating when your Delta 2 is providing the EHU mains supply.
Hi Gordon, yes it is best to only use the EAC (Ecoflow Alternator Charger) for charging the battery while on a journey or with the engine running. That is what it is designed for and the rest of the time switch it off. It is very easy to control via the APP, there is a simple "Start Working" button or if the van is parked up for a while you can press the button on the EAC unit to switch it off completely.

Excellent!.. i want to connect it to the rear battery in my Ocean. Do you have 2 leisure batteries?
Just the one in the Beach. Just be mindful that the cable from the charger to the Delta2 is only about 1 meter in length. I wouldn’t think it makes any difference which battery you connect to, just set the Delta2 to only charge once the leisure battery is over 13v. Please note I am not a technical expert and someone else with specific knowledge of the Ocean battery configuration may be better placed to answer.

Hows it going? Can I ask a few further questions...

Do you see the current draw of the alternator charger show on your van display (Im assuming it has one like the t6.1) when the engine is running and the charger is on?

Is there a risk that the alternator charger could drain the starter battery if you didnt manually switch on and off? (not sure I understand the 13v - are you saying the battery will never provide 13v when its not being fed power from an alternator, so the alternator charger is smart in this respect and uses this as a sign that an alternator is operational or not)?

Thanks.
Hi, no the GC doesn't have a battery charge display, but you can see the charge rate in watts on both the Ecoflow APP and the Ecoflow Delta display. You can select the auto start up voltage of the EAC (Ecoflow Alternator charger) in the APP. I'm not connected at the moment so cannot give you the exact figures, but I think something like between 12 and 13.5 volts? Mine is set at 13volts, the default.
As the van starter battery normally sits around 12.5 volts at idle, the EAC if switched on is in sleep mode until the starter battery is charged to above 13volts, then it wakes up and starts charging the Ecoflow Delta (or equivalent).
I didn't consider connecting to the leisure battery (although I can see some advantages in doing so).
Two reasons for connecting to the starter battery in my case:
1). In a GC the leisure battery is under the bonnet, a long and tricky cable route especially for the 680. The cables supplied for the EAC are just long enough (actually in reality about a foot short, but it can be done) to reach the starter battery under the seat.
2). Connecting to the leisure battery master switch within the technical cupboard would be an easier option, but due to the existing VW cable size it would not be safe to use the EAC at its full 800w output. Within the APP the output can be throttled back on a slider, but I wanted the full 800w charge.
Hope that helps...

Has anyone fitted the Ecoflow alternator charger to their GC600 and able to share any pictures of their installation ? Many thanks.

Hi, no the GC doesn't have a battery charge display, but you can see the charge rate in watts on both the Ecoflow APP and the Ecoflow Delta display. You can select the auto start up voltage of the EAC (Ecoflow Alternator charger) in the APP. I'm not connected at the moment so cannot give you the exact figures, but I think something like between 12 and 13.5 volts? Mine is set at 13volts, the default.
As the van starter battery normally sits around 12.5 volts at idle, the EAC if switched on is in sleep mode until the starter battery is charged to above 13volts, then it wakes up and starts charging the Ecoflow Delta (or equivalent).
I didn't consider connecting to the leisure battery (although I can see some advantages in doing so).
Two reasons for connecting to the starter battery in my case:
1). In a GC the leisure battery is under the bonnet, a long and tricky cable route especially for the 680. The cables supplied for the EAC are just long enough (actually in reality about a foot short, but it can be done) to reach the starter battery under the seat.
2). Connecting to the leisure battery master switch within the technical cupboard would be an easier option, but due to the existing VW cable size it would not be safe to use the EAC at its full 800w output. Within the APP the output can be throttled back on a slider, but I wanted the full 800w charge.
Hope that helps...
Brilliant thanks.

Back