Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fitting new upstairs VW LED light ~ screws, drillbit?

M

Maje

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi folks,
I"'ve recently joined the broken bendy light (SE 5.1) and have just wired up the new led one from the club shop. However, the screws supplied are far too narrow for the existing holes so the unit is very loose. Now thinking of redrilling new holes but unsure what to use. Or is this a bad idea?Really appreciate some advice on which size screws to use and drllbit etc! The light looks great but wish I knew how to fix it properly! Many thanks from an overheating Maje.

Fill the existing holes with plastic Rawplugs then the original screws will tighten up. You may have to cut down the Rawplug to size. Or you can fill the holes with plastic padding and screw in the existing screws once set. I would certainly not start drilling new holes.

Hi folks,
I"'ve recently joined the broken bendy light (SE 5.1) and have just wired up the new led one from the club shop. However, the screws supplied are far too narrow for the existing holes so the unit is very loose. Now thinking of redrilling new holes but unsure what to use. Or is this a bad idea?Really appreciate some advice on which size screws to use and drllbit etc! The light looks great but wish I knew how to fix it properly! Many thanks from an overheating Maje.
I just used the original screws. Use the appropriate size drill to just enlarge the holes in the light fitting if necessary.

Fill the existing holes with plastic Rawplugs then the original screws will tighten up. You may have to cut down the Rawplug to size. Or you can fill the holes with plastic padding and screw in the existing screws once set. I would certainly not start drilling new holes.
Thanks for the prompt advice, Wildcamper. Wasn't feeling happy about drilling and want a neat, strong fix. As the original holes are in only about 3mm thick metal could you advise on rawlplug type? I've worked with wood and walls in the past but never metal.

Last edited:
I just used the original screws. Use the appropriate size drill to just enlarge the holes in the light fitting if necessary.
Thanks WG. The problem I have is the original screws are not only too big to go through the holes in the new light base (I suppose, as you say, I could enlarge the holes by drilling through the metal base at a cm thick) but also too short. Originals about 2.5mm by 1.5cms long. New ones that came with vw led light are about twice as long and twice as narrow?

Thanks WG. The problem I have is the original screws are not only too big to go through the holes in the new light base (I suppose, as you say, I could enlarge the holes by drilling through the metal base at a cm thick) but also too short. Originals about 2.5mm by 1.5cms long. New ones that came with vw led light are about twice as long and twice as narrow?
WG ~ long shot but do you remember how long your original screws were? Mine are only 1.5 cms long (3mm thick) and now that the new base is 1.5cms thick, need to get longer screws. Or did you drill 3mms and then slightly bigger so shorter screw goes into base more? Hope this makes sense as feel a trip to toolstation etc coming on for drill bits and screws!

WG ~ long shot but do you remember how long your original screws were? Mine are only 1.5 cms long (3mm thick) and now that the new base is 1.5cms thick, need to get longer screws. Or did you drill 3mms and then slightly bigger so shorter screw goes into base more? Hope this makes sense as feel a trip to toolstation etc coming on for drill bits and screws!
I did mine a couple of years ago so they might have changed the design, but it just screwed in with the original screws, or supplied screws But definitely no drilling of new holes.

Thanks for the advice Wildcamper and WG. Resolved it now by changing to longer screw with larger thread and drove them in. Very solid fix. Screws are silver headed so will cover with black for a neat finish. Once again, the forum has been so helpful.

Back