Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Flexi roof light connector

D

darrenjane

VIP Member
Just bought a Cali and it doesn't have an internal flexi roof light fitted. Was damaged by previous owner and missing. New light was supplied with van, however it just has 2 wires. Looking behind the hole where it fixes I found a plastic connector which I assume the previous light was connected to. It has 1H0973131A part number on it, but I only have this half.

Could somebody confirm this is correct. Also what connector is required to fit and where can I get hold of one. Would rather use this than cutting and fitting new connector of possible.

Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Darren

I though they were hardwired without any conections. At least my 2011 is.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I wonder if the beach 12v socket could be fitted instead? You could then use a beach style plug in light and it's a handy socket if you are upstairs. Also as the light is removed when not is use its far less likely to be broken again.

Sure a 12v socket can be placed there .
If mine flexlight ever does break off , it will be replaced by a12v socket.
Purhaps even before it breaks.

As for your Q for connection, maybe posting some pictures can help to give tips on how to...

Oh , welcome on your first post...;)

Hi there...

I'm with the others on here... if mine every breaks (which it's shown no signs of doing in the 7 years we've owned it) then I'll replace with a 12v socket.

The part number you've mentioned is normally used for the electrical connector for the sunvisor light? Worth checking that yours works and hasn't come disconnected.

It may well be that VW have resused the same part for the swan neck light, but from memory the original connector didn't actually fit through the hole and must have been fitted before the panel was bonded in place. (That's on a 2009... possibly very different on others)

Personally, if like you, I had a new light without connctors... I'd change them out for something more readily available like Tamiya Race Pack connectors. (Maplins or local model shops)

race-pack-lead-male-battery-connector.jpg

Hope this help.

Rgds
M

See Nos 10. This is the socket behind the trim.

image.png

Many thanks for all the responses, very useful. Think I may look to fit a 12v socket.

Darren

You will need to enlarge the whole use a large half round file but do it slowly because if the file comes out you will scratch the panel
It is acheivable and a much better idea than a flexi light. My kids kept the roof lit up with their phones so a charger for them was better

Am I right in reading the above post that the OE connector will NOT come out through the hole :(
My stem parted company from the base so I've removed the base to re-install but when wiggling the connector the whole thing came apart so now I have an empty hole!!!
Iv'e tried removing the large grey end cap but that doesn't budge, my next though was to fish it out but if I find the wire and the connector doesn't come through I'm stuffed.
Any ideas folks?

Last edited:
Am I right in reading the above post that the OE connector will NOT come out through the hole :(
My stem parted company from the base so I've removed the base to re-install but when wiggling the connector the the whole it came apart so now I have an empty hole!!!
Iv'e tried removing the large grey end cap but that doesn't budge, my next though was to fish it out but if I find the wire and the connector doesn't come through I'm stuffed.
Any ideas folks?

All sorted, took a file to the hole and enlarged by 20% and out came the connector :)

Back