Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

I got the broken water pump out and a spare ready ... how do I disconnect the old and reconnect the new?

edocali

edocali

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi thanks for the many threads and answers on replacing the water pump.

I had no water, checked the fuse, was blown, and on replacing it the new fuses went off again.
I have never bothered emptying the tank - and this year I used the van one day during the very very cole spell we had.
I struggled to get water out then, after heating I got it but i suppose on refreezing the pump got damaged.
Given they're cheap to buy online, I got one and followed the various guides.

The step at which I'm doubtful on how to proceed is the electrical disconnection of the old pump and connection of the new.
I can't dislodge the wires of the old pump from the existing 12v connector.
I read that perople cut the old pump wire and reconnect the new one with a choc bloc.
Is that really the best way?
I was hoping to take the old wire out of the connector but they seem soldered. worth attempting to unsolder?
If going for the cut - where from the existing connector should I cut ? Thanks !!

IMG_0285.jpeg

IMG_0286.jpeg

IMG_0287.jpeg

Hi thanks for the many threads and answers on replacing the water pump.

I had no water, checked the fuse, was blown, and on replacing it the new fuses went off again.
I have never bothered emptying the tank - and this year I used the van one day during the very very cole spell we had.
I struggled to get water out then, after heating I got it but i suppose on refreezing the pump got damaged.
Given they're cheap to buy online, I got one and followed the various guides.

The step at which I'm doubtful on how to proceed is the electrical disconnection of the old pump and connection of the new.
I can't dislodge the wires of the old pump from the existing 12v connector.
I read that perople cut the old pump wire and reconnect the new one with a choc bloc.
Is that really the best way?
I was hoping to take the old wire out of the connector but they seem soldered. worth attempting to unsolder?
If going for the cut - where from the existing connector should I cut ? Thanks !!

View attachment 118623

View attachment 118624

View attachment 118625
The connection is wrapped in the foam and you can disconnect the two halves of the connector by pushing the release lever.

However the terminals within the connector are crimped onto the wires and without the correct tool and replacement terminals you are better to cut the wires off the old pump at the connector end, no real harm in leaving a longer length, say 10cm to allow you to join them.

Make sure you pull the new pump wires through the grommet before you join them.

In terms of joining the ends, given the current and the fact it is inside, a choc block should be fine, although not exactly a factory solution. Any joint just make sure it is well isolated with tape and a bit of extra foam to stop rattling. I am not a fan of choc blocks, but you can increase the robustness by cutting the wires so that they are long enough to get grabbed by both grub screws, I have used them on rally cars in an emergency, normally after they have hit something and they do work remarkably well. They are removed and replaced after the event.

The generic red/blue/yellow car connectors are also ok, as long as you use the correct colour for the wire size and use the crimping pliers that are meant for them. Soldering them is also an option, but given the location and the fabric on the bench seat, I wouldn't in case you have a mishap. Again as with all these crimp solutions, you need the correct size and reasonable crimp tools. Standard pliers aren't great for successful joints.

VW garage would use a PIDG Butt splice (as per picture). Basically a more expensive version of the generic coloured terminal. You can get them with glue that you use with a heat gun, but you don't need the glue version as it is inside. Again they are crimped and VW will make garages buy a very expensive tool to do it, but the generic crimp tool will do that you would use on the normal colour terminals.

1706644035434.png

Last edited:
Thank you ! I managed to replace the pump. I used a choc block wrapped in tape for the join.
I think I damaged the grommet trying to pull it out of the tank however.
I wonder if it can be ordered so I have it on hand if I see a leak.

Thank you ! I managed to replace the pump. I used a choc block wrapped in tape for the join.
I think I damaged the grommet trying to pull it out of the tank however.
I wonder if it can be ordered so I have it on hand if I see a leak.

You are not the first!

You are not the first!
I should have searched better !! thanks!
I placed an order although it costs very little s&h is steep ...

Back