Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Flexible upstairs lamp Broken

S

Sallyf

VIP Member
this very useful lamp has just snapped off where the flexible stalk meets the solid base. Has anyone found a clever way of mending it or do we buy a new one?

Happens a lot , VW did replace the light with a 12v socket on the T6 and many T5 owners did also.
Like me...
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/replacing-bendy-rooflight-to-a-12v-socket.17620/#post-200789

You can buy a new bendy light and mounth it back but once you got a 12v socket you just buy a other version of the light with the socket and you can also charge your phone within' hands reach while sleeping.

Sure someone will give the partnumber of the original light within' a few ....

Thanks to both of you for very helpful and informative replies. Now we just have to get around to doing something about it!

I'm on my third

Fortunately the first two replaced under warranty.

I'm on my third

Fortunately the first two replaced under warranty.
Who did the third replacement? Did panelling have to come off or were you able to connect the new lamp yourself?

Here is a very nice replacement, easily installed yourself: the Osram Onyx co-pilot:

725662_ONYX-COPILOT-V01-ONYX-L-7.jpg

Who did the third replacement? Did panelling have to come off or were you able to connect the new lamp yourself?
It is fiddle as the Lamp plug will go through the hole in the metalwork but the socket, into which it plugs will not come out of the hole ( too big ), so with care yes.
If you use a 3rd Party replacement, such as the Osram LED, then dismantle the old light, DO NOT unplug and then cut the wires in the old lamp and splice/solder or use connectors to fit the new lamp wires to the remains of the old lamp wires. Insulate and push into the hole when re-fitting lamp. Fairly straight forward really - if you can wire a plug etc:. Remember 1 wire will be live as you do this unless you remove the fuse. Please don't ask which fuse as they can vary from vehicle to vehicle but it could be a 10amp fuse under the Left seat position 18, or not.

Well, Amazon is not such a bad webshop, Wim... Little risk there!

61w6tn14acL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
I use an Anker dual usb cigar lighter adapter in the upstairs socket with a usb lamp so I can use the second usb socket for charging a iPhone overnight.

I have no idea what it took to fix it, goodness if I did it myself then the van would be worth scrap value within ten minutes :D

I just popped it into the dealers, said "broke again", and it was fixed whilst they were changing the oil.

There again, I use SMG Cowfold and great service from Jason and the crew.

Back