Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

flip flops whilst driving in Spain

E

el cojo

Vehicle
T6 Cali On Order
Now illegal in Spain you can get a ticket. This year in the Balearics where I live the guardia civil have had a campaign to stop people driving with chanclas (flip flops) Most people stopped received only a warning of the dangers but the sanction is 80 euros. Of course if you are involved in an accident then it would be a different story.
Excerpt from the Spanish law being applied.

Si un agente considera que la acción de ir al volante sin calzado o utilizar chanclas es peligrosa o pone en riesgo su seguridad en la carretera, el conductor podría ser sancionado con una multa que, según el artículo 11 de la Ley de Tráfico y Seguridad Vial, ascendería a 80 euros.

That's not new, it's an old law in Spain, you have to wear proper shoes to drive safely. I.e. you cannot drive wearing heels.

nope, barefoot are also forbiden

and crocs !!!!! ????

Crocs are OK providig they fix properly in your feet. Police won't take into account the style of those :D

Same in Germany. The heel must be surrounded as well.

what is the Brexit stand on this in the UK

The fashion police will Nick you for wearing crocks whilst driving

The Spanish law say nothing specific about flip-flops, heels, crocks, etc... just say you can not wear anything which can compromise safety when driving, so the thing is on the police criteria hands. But I've heared several times about people who got a fine because were wearing long heels, flip-flops, etc...

Years ago a friend of mine was stopped in the UK cannot remember why. Anyway, when he got out the officer made mention of him driving barefoot. Something about feeling the pedals, my friend mentioned that he'd normally wears clogs with the thick wooden soles. He has even less feeing with them. Not sure what the point of this post is :(.

As someone who drives barefoot almost all of the time I thought I'd better check:
it seems as though although it is legal to drive barefoot in the UK you can be prosecuted if you have an accident whilst driving barefoot if being barefooted has contributed to the accident. Personally I can see how driving inappropriate footwear could contribute but not driving barefoot.
Ref:
RAC Verdict
Driving in less than practical shoes – or no shoes at all for that matter – is not illegal, but you have a responsibility as a driver to uphold standards on the road.

If your selection of footwear hampers that, you’re putting yourself at risk.

and for interest there was a poll on their post.....

Have you ever driven barefoot?

• Yes - 52%

• No - 48%

....not even when wearing white socks in it?.....:D

Thanks for that, I had no idea, and usually drive in flip flops or bare feet here and abroad......another lesson learnt, before it was to late