Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Floor mat press stud

JohnCalifornia

JohnCalifornia

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
Hi, my Cali came with 1 broken floor mat press stud. It doesn’t affect the mat moving around but still it annoyed me that it was missing. Anyway bought the top and bottom bit today. Cost around 73p each so cheap as chips. I think the original back bit which is under the carpet is ok apart from the glue on it where someone had tried to glue the top bit on. I removed as much glue as I could then I tried to push the top on. Impossible….I tried to push the top bit and the new back bit together in my hands and again impossible. It looks like this needs some serious force to clip in together. The floor clip is in a very awkward place under the drivers seat so hammering is not an option as I would do more harm than good. Anyone fitted a new one of these and if so how did you do it? Thanks for any replies

4CA17E1B-9F74-4F54-BE4E-BF38EB9AB68A.jpeg

3F9B066A-2FFE-4648-872E-ECB508F41F88.jpeg

Hi, my Cali came with 1 broken floor mat press stud. It doesn’t affect the mat moving around but still it annoyed me that it was missing. Anyway bought the top and bottom bit today. Cost around 73p each so cheap as chips. I think the original back bit which is under the carpet is ok apart from the glue on it where someone had tried to glue the top bit on. I removed as much glue as I could then I tried to push the top on. Impossible….I tried to push the top bit and the new back bit together in my hands and again impossible. It looks like this needs some serious force to clip in together. The floor clip is in a very awkward place under the drivers seat so hammering is not an option as I would do more harm than good. Anyone fitted a new one of these and if so how did you do it? Thanks for any replies

View attachment 109207

View attachment 109208
Are you sure it is an exact replacement?

If it is, try turning the seat through 90 or 180o and slide to the rear to apply more direct pressure.

I assume so , I ordered it from the commercial VW centre who took my reg number etc and they took a week to arrive . I’ve tried turning seat around but still no easy access. If the base moved I’d be in luck. If I could get the foot step plastic cover off to get underneath the carpet that could work but again it doesn’t look easy to remove and I don’t want to damage anything .

Can you take a photo of the under side of the new stud pls, I’m assuming there is a peg on the underside that fits into the floor plate bezel ?

is it possible to position the new stud over the base plate, use a piece of wood to create an area where you can strike the wood with a rubber mallet to knock in the new stud ?

Last edited:
I found a photo showing both parts, so it looks like an interference fit

is there any plastic from the old stud broke off (I.e. a restriction in the base plate)
Looking at your photo in post 1 it appear there is something in the plate plate that may prevent the new one fitting ?

If so can you screw a screw into the broken off part and use a pry bar or trim tool to remove tge broken part.
DCB69542-77A2-4782-83A4-02C6C9BEEB11.jpeg

F333E71D-47DB-4A5D-9787-F4945322FCC9.jpeg

These are the parts I have in your photos. There is glue on the one that’s under the carpet but I think I have removed most of it. I watched a YouTube video of someone doing a Golf floor mat press stud and that too took some force to push it in but he was directly above it. Even when I have both new parts in my hands it seems impossible to push together with my fingers so needs to be done in situ. I’m not giving up just yet……

So job done and what a pain it was. I had to remove the foot plate (almost anyway) then get my hand under the carpet to remove the old back plate thing. These are actually embedded into the foam insulation so I had to rip it out. Anyway refitted foam to new back plate with double sided tape then put back in. Again impossible to fit the 2 fixings together with your hands so used a bit of wood and a lump hammer and hey presto it went in. Not the easiest job but at least it’s done now. A couple of pics attached

3D754AEC-62D0-424E-B862-D380AD19C017.jpeg

AC5E31D4-6785-4737-BB63-C3067D88995B.jpeg

E010D97D-4436-4158-95B7-F42D614B46BF.jpeg

475D922A-51A4-44BA-8BE9-5FC5695E9508.jpeg

D7FCD466-98F5-41AA-BEFA-20E949ABBA85.jpeg

132BEECF-26A4-4306-9187-A57606B9DE6D.jpeg

B50A802A-A5D5-46BE-A954-86ED947832B9.jpeg

I knew a good old piece of wood was all it needed :cheers

Last edited:
Yep it’s amazing what a bit of brute force can do. Never dreamed I’d have to use a lump hammer on anything inside a California though……..

Back