Floor Rails - Fact or Fiction.

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
When discussing the habitation area and the need for fitted carpets or rugs, one of the reasons frequently quoted for fitting such is “ to keep the rails clear of sand, dirt and dog hairs “.

I‘ve cleaned mine twice in 6 yrs, with a fine vacuum attachment with a dust trap, and despite frequent beach trips with grand children, camping on Sandy pitches abroad and frequently carrying various family dogs, the amount of dirt etc: removed would fit on a teaspoon. So it’s off my list now.

So, how many members have had problems with floor rails full of sand, dog hair or just dirt?

When discussing the habitation area and the need for fitted carpets or rugs, one of the reasons frequently quoted for fitting such is “ to keep the rails clear of sand, dirt and dog hairs “.

I‘ve cleaned mine twice in 6 yrs, with a fine vacuum attachment with a dust trap, and despite frequent beach trips with grand children, camping on Sandy pitches abroad and frequently carrying various family dogs, the amount of dirt etc: removed would fit on a teaspoon. So it’s off my list now.

So, how many members have had problems with floor rails full of sand, dog hair or just dirt?
No problems here!

@WelshGas you have cleaned them more than me. Not had an issue.

I clean mine regularly about every 5 years or so. You would need about an inch or so of sand in the rail to have any effect.
The locking mechanism works on the underside of the top surface so unlikely to get contaminated.
Sand on top of the rail trims might cause scratches or as I prefer to call it a patina!

Well, I must be the odd person out!!

I clean mine out after every trip with a toothbrush, a dab of brass cleaner and the specially designed "rail cleaning cloth" available from Brandrup for £249.45

I do believe in clean rails, sorry :oops:

Interesting WG. I must admit I read this precaution recommended for kids/dogs and was influenced by it. Perhaps it is a myth and I am now guilty of perpetuating it! Reassuring to know I needn’t worry :)

Well, I must be the odd person out!!

I clean mine out after every trip with a toothbrush, a dab of brass cleaner and the specially designed "rail cleaning cloth" available from Brandrup for £249.45

I do believe in clean rails, sorry :oops:
Haha - very good Jen :)

We cover them in turtle mats and clean them frequently, once pa, if they're lucky....

Ss it goes I just ordered carpet for my beach from the forum shop( brendrup one )just been thinking will the seat slide over it

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Ss it goes I just ordered carpet for my beach from the forum shop( brendrup one )just been thinking will the seat slide over it

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Yes, seat will slide over the carpet.

Last edited:
I normally clean my turtle mats much more often than that :shocked
Last year we didn't actually stay overnight as much as we would have liked, consequently the floor mats didn't need cleaning...:oops:

My niece dropped her earring into one of those rails so I’m forbidden to Hoover it out until I’ve found the damn thing lol
Can’t just buy another, apparently it’s a bit special as Spanish girls get their ears pierced at birth, and of course it was one of those!

My niece dropped her earring into one of those rails so I’m forbidden to Hoover it out until I’ve found the damn thing lol
Can’t just buy another, apparently it’s a bit special as Spanish girls get their ears pierced at birth, and of course it was one of those!
You'll have to get a move on if you are changing your vehicle.:thumb

No problems here in 6 years but might take a look out of curiosity

You could try that pair of tights/stocking over the vacuum cleaner nozzle trick. I would've thought that would get it out

I have read on another thread of someone spilling milk on the floor and then obviously into the tracks. Smell was horrendous .
We were thinking of getting a large bathroom mat so it's waterproof. Obviously have to roll it a bit when moving the seats but I'm so accident prone I know I'll drop a drink 1 day.

Put a nylon stocking over the nozzle (grip it tight so it doesn’t get sucked up with the earring.

Never cleaned them out so far.

My £5 Sainsbury mats work a treat.
They aren’t machine washable, but we stick them in anyway when they get a bit grubby.
At £5 a mat I am happy to buy another set.

No Brandrup, take your pants down in this van...
8E5E74BE-35DA-4773-A5CB-BBAFEAF26F2F.jpeg

Every time I vacuum the van, about once a quarter, I hoover in between the floor rails with the narrow attachment. Every time I mop the cabin floor I give the rails a wipe.

We don’t usually have a mat on the cabin floor, but we do have one: a kids play road mat.