Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fly or mosquito shelter

Dottie

Dottie

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
i am considering a Coleman instant Screened Canopy and wondered about the sense in this:

1 will it keep out midges?

2 would it be useful abroad to allow us to sit out in sultry evenings?

3 would it be useful for Scottish west coast? Might depend I'd midges can get through or not....

Looking for options. I know I could sit in the van with the windows shut but this is not my idea of enjoying the outdoors if weather conditions would allow sitting outside.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EHKP9QY/

Hi
I have brandup mosquito nets fitted to Cali sliding door works very well in Europe with the mosquitos, but the midges are smaller and can get through so won't stop the Scottish buggers!
I did find if I sprayed the net in bug spray it kept them at bay for a while though.

The only thing that will keep midges out is midge netting which isn't the same as fly or mosquito netting. I wouldn't assume that you could sit out and not be midged unless the product specifically says it is midge proof.

Got it, thanks all.

Norway...are they inflicted with midge-type buggers, or Mosquitos?

Same as Scotland, but tougher 'cos of the weather.:thumb

I'm planning a trip up to the west coast and islands next May. Typically how bad will the midges be then?

They shouldn't be bad at all in May.

i am considering a Coleman instant Screened Canopy and wondered about the sense in this:

1 will it keep out midges?

2 would it be useful abroad to allow us to sit out in sultry evenings?

3 would it be useful for Scottish west coast? Might depend I'd midges can get through or not....

Looking for options. I know I could sit in the van with the windows shut but this is not my idea of enjoying the outdoors if weather conditions would allow sitting outside.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EHKP9QY/
Hi Dottie,if it is of any interest,we bought a roll of "Midge Mesh" it only cost a few pounds,then cut out squares slightly larger than the mesh on the window screens and fixed it with high strength clear tape,the stuff I had was like Helicopter tape ,over the top of the standard mosquito mesh,so we have a double layer of mesh and now we can leave the windows open and no Midges get in.
Of course it doesnt address the problem of sitting outside or letting a few of the little b$€#%~¥s in when you open the door ,but it does allow you to sit in the van with the windows open and wait for them to go to bed.

Hi Dottie,if it is of any interest,we bought a roll of "Midge Mesh" it only cost a few pounds,then cut out squares slightly larger than the mesh on the window screens and fixed it with high strength clear tape,the stuff I had was like Helicopter tape ,over the top of the standard mosquito mesh,so we have a double layer of mesh and now we can leave the windows open and no Midges get in.
Of course it doesnt address the problem of sitting outside or letting a few of the little b$€#%~¥s in when you open the door ,but it does allow you to sit in the van with the windows open and wait for them to go to bed.

I bought the Coleman shelter which was, packaged up, twice as big as anticipated...so still under wraps til spring. This might just be taken for west coast trips in Scotland!
However I then looked at a handmade door net (at gizmo showing at Scottish meet). So mind went into overdrive. As a template, I purchased a midge net for covering a house door (£3) but it was neither midge-proof quality netting nor a good design for campers. I reckon my version will be midge netting, with one piece covering the whole door (to minimise chances of gaps), strong magnets at the top, magnetic tape down the sides and curtain cord weights along the bottom. It may be made to be wider than the van at the bottom as there is the chance of an excitable dog wanting to explode out of the door at any time, with no thought given to there being a mesh curtain!
This is my winter project after Christmas.

I'm planning a trip up to the west coast and islands next May. Typically how bad will the midges be then?
Aidy
Please keep me informed as we will be doing the North Coast 500 early June... so would like to go equipped. Best Wishes Paul

We've been twice to the west coast and islands in May and both times we had no problem at all with midges and believe me Mrs Snowy55 can find biting insects anywhere.

We did this and it works really well. Lets you sleep with fresh air without beibg eaten alive. Don't forget to sew some over the roof vents too!

I bought the Coleman shelter which was, packaged up, twice as big as anticipated...so still under wraps til spring. This might just be taken for west coast trips in Scotland!
However I then looked at a handmade door net (at gizmo showing at Scottish meet). So mind went into overdrive. As a template, I purchased a midge net for covering a house door (£3) but it was neither midge-proof quality netting nor a good design for campers. I reckon my version will be midge netting, with one piece covering the whole door (to minimise chances of gaps), strong magnets at the top, magnetic tape down the sides and curtain cord weights along the bottom. It may be made to be wider than the van at the bottom as there is the chance of an excitable dog wanting to explode out of the door at any time, with no thought given to there being a mesh curtain!
This is my winter project after Christmas.
I tried this too but the magnets weren't strong enough to hold the weight of the midge netting we had. Ran out of time so took it with us but we didn't need it thankfully even in July on the West coast of Scotland. Just couldn't get it to stay on. I even tried to rig up a net curtian hanger but couldn't attach it to anything. I didn't like the look of the stick on velcro that I think Brandrup use. Maybe I should buy some bigger magnets but also worried about electrochemical things happening between differnt metals and bubbling the paint.
I also comtemplated trying to do something so that a tailgate lock extension could be used and still be midge resistant. So chilly and windy this wasn't a problem either. Apparently midges can only fly in winds below 4 mph, the wind when we were there rarely dropped below about 30 mph!

Back