Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beginners - Our experiences from a weeks trial

Stu said:
Oli is selling some of his vans so maybe you can buy the one you had :thumb

We took ours to the car park a Lee on Solent a few weeks back. Parked up, got the table and chairs out and put the kettle on!! Brilliant. :laugh2

Thought about that for a couple of milliseconds but neither of us can really get on with Candy White, don't get me wrong when it's clean it looks really upmarket and sharp, but in this country it doesn't stay clean long :lol: . Also sadly OL11 doesn't have Climatronic which is one of our "must haves" as it's not a viable retrofit option, the other one being the leather/alcantara trim. Everything else we could chuck on later if needed (MFSW, RNS510 etc).

Currently debating over the favourite of Natural Grey, close second Reflex Silver or the outsider coming up fast Night Blue.

Paul S said:
We've just taken OL11SAR back to BMVS today having run around in it for 3 days. We're currently on holiday at Fareham in the caravan so I thought I would treat myself to an early birthday present and at the same time try to work on the missus a bit. She was wavering but won't entertain a dealer test drive at all, one because they're too short and two because there is almost always a salesman in with you and I know they have a job to do but sometimes they do put you off. End result is that after sharing the driving for a couple of days she seemed much more comfortable driving a van than I did at first and secondly she completely loved it compared to the Beach we'd previously been looking at which got a thumbs down for being a bit too minimalistic. Great service from Justin at BMVS and I have recommended them to friends on the campsite and thanks to Oli for replying to my PM even though he was on holiday. As for the van itself we both loved it, she didn't want me to take it back and now it's gone we are both staring at the vacant pitch next to ours (luckily we managed to bag it for 3 days) and sighing a lot missing it already. It sure made sitting on the promenade at Lee on Solent in a gale a lot more bearable than being cooped up in our Audi. When we get back home we will start looking in earnest, just not sure whether we want a 140 or a 180, but it will definitely have to be the DSG 'box as it is quite simply awesome and every bit as good as people have said it is.

Glad you had a great time away in OL11SAR. I am indeed deflecting vehicles in the next 3 months or so. I'm sure I have two DSG with Climatronic coming off- black or sliver, both 180's. I am back into work Monday and I already have to send someone else details so I will do the same for you :thumb

Oli, could I please also get that info from you on those Calis. I am in Ireland and unsure whether to buy new or search for a used Cali. I want 180 automatic.
Please also give me info on rental rates. Thanks much. Aileen

aileen roantree said:
Oli, could I please also get that info from you on those Calis. I am in Ireland and unsure whether to buy new or search for a used Cali. I want 180 automatic.
Please also give me info on rental rates. Thanks much. Aileen

Hi Aileen

Our rental rates are on our website, click the banner below. And I'll send you details on my 3 DSG 180's that are coming up for sale in the next few months or so :thumb

Thank you Oli. I will check out the rental rates and all the info you sent.

aileen roantree said:
Thank you Neil, I phoned VW Ireland and a most helpful man said that he would get back to me and he did send me the brochures but I have not heard from him again although I phoned many times and left messages. If you have any info especially in regard to cost of Cali in Ireland I would be interested. The man I spoke to felt that the price in Ireland was the same as buying in Germany (I am going there next month) although most cars here do have an extra tax. He was to get more information and let me know but that was weeks ago. Thanks
Hi Aileen if you send me a private message (pm) I will send you the details of the guy I bought off - he will know everything as I spent months checking things out with him! Neil

One thing I found really useful on our first trip to Spain was a small spirit level placed on the dash. We mostly camped in the wild and found it particularly useful balancing the van especially from side to side. There’s not much room and this prevented rolling into the canvas or your partner during the night. Before we left we also had a solar panel fitted by solar solutions. It has kept the leisure batteries topped up brilliantly ever since. Not a problem if you are driving, but spending three or four days in one spot overlooking a beach it took the worries of the fridge out of the equation.