Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fog light indicator lamps

GrumpyGranddad

GrumpyGranddad

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
If I switch on my front fog lights the symbol on the switch turns green but there's no display on the instrument cluster. In contrast, if I switch on the rear fog lamp the symbol on the switch does not change colour but an orange symbol is displayed on the instrument cluster. Really not a problem but just wondered if that’s normal?

If I switch on my front fog lights the symbol on the switch turns green but there's no display on the instrument cluster. In contrast, if I switch on the rear fog lamp the symbol on the switch does not change colour but an orange symbol is displayed on the instrument cluster. Really not a problem but just wondered if that’s normal?
That's how it is on my 57 plate Cali, too

You should be able to see the Fog Lights are on when driving, but a little different regarding the Rear Foglight, hence the Dashboard indicator for rear only.

You should be able to see the Fog Lights are on when driving, but a little different regarding the Rear Foglight, hence the Dashboard indicator for rear only.
Agree @WelshGas . Just a different system to other vehicles i’ve owned. Was only checking in case I had a fault. All good :)

Some new cars have an automatic switch for the headlights, I have it on
a couple and I just leave it on auto all the time.

The other week whilst driving in fog got me wondering if my rear lights were on, I
could see the front ones on cos there the day lights and always on but wasn't sure
about the rear. I now turn the light on manually but have noticed lots of cars driving
in fog without any rear lights on. Probably thinking that the car will do automatically
but it doesn't .

I'm not talking about fog lights here.

A VW lack of information.
On a par with no displayed info when headlights are on in daylight/fog if lights set to auto mode.

reminder
It is illegal to have Front and/or Rear Fog lights on unless visibility is less than 100mtrs

Rule 226​

You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves

A VW lack of information.
On a par with no displayed info when headlights are on in daylight/fog if lights set to auto mode.

reminder
It is illegal to have Front and/or Rear Fog lights on unless visibility is less than 100mtrs

Rule 226​

You MUST use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see for more than 100 metres (328 feet). You may also use front or rear fog lights but you MUST switch them off when visibility improves
So at no time MUST you switch on fog lights?

So at no time MUST you switch on fog lights?
No legal requirement to switch on just advice.
Legal rules on when not to be on.
On relates to the 100 metre visibility. Rain doesn't apply as many seem to think.

There are those who seem to switch on and off in unison with the clock changes.

Back