Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Folding bikes

beardie

beardie

Am looking for a folding bike to be used on public transport (buses) as part of my daily commute. Had enough of the A14!

Have done a bit of research and established that Brompton are a respected brand that folds up very well. However the price is steep £800 all in for a new one, need to establish whether there are cheaper ones that don't compromise functionality too much.

Will purchase it via the cycle to work scheme.

Any advise appreciated

Brompton ....sorry I have only used this one and they do the job very well and then some :)

Brompton....have had 2 of them since the 1990s.....excellent.....

choplee said:
maybe have a little look about for a used one ;) :thumb

I have done this but the cycle to work scheme allows you to buy new bike pre-tax and NI via salary sacrifice so the cost saving of a used good condition one are negligable particularly if you pay higher rate tax.

My questions was about whether the additional price of a Brompton was justified when compared to the alternatives.

I did think of asking whether a Cali could be reclassified as a cycle if i drove it around on two wheels, but thought better of it !

build quality is better ,but depends on your budget and how you ride it .....

Sinclair A-bike 8" looks especially suited to use after getting off the bus. Wanted to get one just to stash in the Cali to make getting to the shops easier. Not good off-road though.

Another vote for the Brompton here - mine is one of the best items I've ever bought. It is expensive but works so much better than the cheaper alternatives. A bit like the California.

I used to work selling and servicing bikes, and the Brompton was definitely the one that had the best "owner satisfaction" feedback and least issues.
I'd own one myself without hesitation.
We used to love timing each other in the fold/unfold race.. Once you get the hang of it, the transformation to hand luggage and back to bike is something of an engineering marvel.
The ride quality is also ace.
And now they come in all sorts of colours... With all sorts of bags and accessories to customise your steed.
In fact, I might just have sold myself the idea of getting one.
;-)

Dahon or Tern are pretty good and way cheaper, but neither is Brompton.

Bromptons - great bike with a compromise on wheel diameter and gearing range. IMHO only worth the money if folded size is important to you.

Dahon 20" - great bikes with 'normal' bike gearing and componentry.

Cheap Chinese folders - will do the job, but you get what you pay for.

I have 6 or 7 folders (including 2 Bromptons) and my favourite for riding - but with a larger folded size - is the Dahon. Many different specs are available at different price points.

The key question really, is how small you need it to fold.

timhutch said:
Bromptons - great bike with a compromise on wheel diameter and gearing range. IMHO only worth the money if folded size is important to you.

I have 6 or 7 folders (including 2 Bromptons) and my favourite for riding - but with a larger folded size - is the Dahon. Many different specs are available at different price points.

What's important is that I can take it on the bus during a busy period.

beardie said:
timhutch said:

What's important is that I can take it on the bus during a busy period.

On a bus, I would definitely say the Brompton is the way to go, as the folded size of a 20" Dahon is too big for this.

Bromptons are expensive, but hold their value real well. Think about the gearing carefully, as it will have a big bearing on the cost.... less gears = much less £££.

Or go for the BWR hub, 6 speed and 54 tooth chainwheel and watch the Lycra lads weep.

sebking said:
Or go for the BWR hub, 6 speed and 54 tooth chainwheel and watch the Lycra lads weep.

6 speed BWR is definitely the way to go if your budget will stretch to it.

timhutch said:
sebking said:

6 speed BWR is definitely the way to go if your budget will stretch to it.

Lycra Lads weep? My wallet as well !
£125 extra for 6 gears. I think 3 will probably be enough for what I need and will reduce the risk of the chain coming off etc etc

Spoke to the bike shop who basically said no discount on bromptons

Chain never comes off on a Brommie. I retro fitted on my first and a factory fitted on the current. I think mine came in at £1200 all in!

Lol

Oh yes they do come off.....a pain sometimes........

Back