Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Forced DPF regen £200!

That's such a poor design. I could understand (even sympathise) with this if the threshold was under the reserve level. But 1/4 of a tank. That's absurd.

Surely a simple warning on the dash along the lines of "Refuel required - Regenation has been delayed" would have been a better solution?

If something as unnecessary as a "washer fluid level indicator" can be designed, then a system to advise the driver that impending doom will occur and your vehicle will go in to limp mode if you don't refuel would have been seen as critical.

Don't forget, these are the same engineers that were able to come up with smart algorithms clever enough to dupe emissions tests around the world.

Poor show VW, poor show.

Even something to ping the reserve fuel light on early to tell you to refuel wouldn't be too hard would it?

That's such a poor design. I could understand (even sympathise) with this if the threshold was under the reserve level. But 1/4 of a tank. That's absurd.

Surely a simple warning on the dash along the lines of "Refuel required - Regenation has been delayed" would have been a better solution?

If something as unnecessary as a "washer fluid level indicator" can be designed, then a system to advise the driver that impending doom will occur and your vehicle will go in to limp mode if you don't refuel would have been seen as critical.

Don't forget, these are the same engineers that were able to come up with smart algorithms clever enough to dupe emissions tests around the world.

Poor show VW, poor show.
If I was a cynic I might think its was a deliberate " feature" to generate income! I would imagine many people do not keep their tanks full given the cost of fuel.

If I was a cynic I might think its was a deliberate " feature" to generate income! I would imagine many people do not keep their tanks full given the cost of fuel.
Why don't they make the fuel warning light come on at the 1/4 mark then?

I rarely refuel until the reserve warning light comes on. The only times that I would ever consider refuelling before this is if we've got a long journey planned and I don't want to refuel along the way. Why would you waste time and fuel driving to a fuel station before you needed to?

I'm glad the OP didn't have to pay £200. I'd be asking VW for a free service for the hassle I think.

It's just plain stupid!

Well it’s a lesson learned for me - my tank is certainly full now! Just to clarify: I filled with £15-25 of diesel (due to high prices) three times in a row, thus keeping the tank below a quarter-full for a good while. I don’t think anyone needs to panic each time the fuel gauge goes below a quarter, or even well into the red - just be sure to fill up with plenty of diesel when you do refuel. I agree that some dash warning advice (akin to the adblue warnings) about dpf and fuel level would be helpful.

I still haven’t been officially advised to avoid prolonged sub-quarter-tank running though. This isn’t even mentioned on the new dpf sticker, which magically appeared in my windscreen last week. The windscreen now has a three inch crack in it too, after an Audi managed to flick a stone at me, during his aggressive overtaking manoeuvre, on my way home from the dealership! Hopefully the dpf, the windscreen and the scraping door completes this month’s VW trilogy of despair...

Well it’s a lesson learned for me - my tank is certainly full now! Just to clarify: I filled with £15-25 of diesel (due to high prices) three times in a row, thus keeping the tank below a quarter-full for a good while. I don’t think anyone needs to panic each time the fuel gauge goes below a quarter, or even well into the red - just be sure to fill up with plenty of diesel when you do refuel. I agree that some dash warning advice (akin to the adblue warnings) about dpf and fuel level would be helpful.

I still haven’t been officially advised to avoid prolonged sub-quarter-tank running though. This isn’t even mentioned on the new dpf sticker, which magically appeared in my windscreen last week. The windscreen now has a three inch crack in it too, after an Audi managed to flick a stone at me, during his aggressive overtaking manoeuvre, on my way home from the dealership! Hopefully the dpf, the windscreen and the scraping door completes this month’s VW trilogy of despair...
Sorry to hear about your woes. That all sounds really frustrating.

Which dealer was this? I'd like to give them a swerve.

Sorry to hear about your woes. That all sounds really frustrating.

Which dealer was this? I'd like to give them a swerve.

I don’t think it’s fair to blame the dealer for the shortcomings of the vehicle, the manual and the warranty. Same story with the wheel-arch-scraping door. As for the windscreen - not unless that was the mechanic on his way home, in his red Audi!

My VW dealer said that 1/4 tank idea is bsht and I can tank whenever. Though not the 1st time I have more adequate info than my dealer.
I sometimes run on low fuel refusing to tank 1,7 eur diesel in Norway when it becomes 1,3 next day. But have a habbit to drive higher rpms when tank is low.
So far had a dpf error just once, when I added 5 liters of fuel to almost empty tank to get to another station. Went off after higher rpms.

My VW dealer said that 1/4 tank idea is bsht and I can tank whenever. Though not the 1st time I have more adequate info than my dealer.
I sometimes run on low fuel refusing to tank 1,7 eur diesel in Norway when it becomes 1,3 next day. But have a habbit to drive higher rpms when tank is low.
So far had a dpf error just once, when I added 5 liters of fuel to almost empty tank to get to another station. Went off after higher rpms.
Yes if you get your exhaust gas hot enough for long enough then it will burn carbon off. The regen burns carbon that your high exhaust has can’t. Ie lots of pottering and city driving.

Hi yes the dealer would end up taking the cost Luckily it’s only time and no parts but still ends up costing us as dealers due to a mistake by vw not explaining the quarter of a tank rule in the manual:headbang. As for the scuff on the wheel arch there is technical information out for dealers in adjusting the sliding angle of the door. All so the paint work will be covered and needs to go to a vw approved body shop.
Hi VW Guru,
Could I trouble you for the technical bulletin number, for adjustment and repair of the sliding door and paintwork? The van is currently in the workshop and reports are starting to contain the familiar 'might not be covered under warranty'....

Hi VW Guru,
Could I trouble you for the technical bulletin number, for adjustment and repair of the sliding door and paintwork? The van is currently in the workshop and reports are starting to contain the familiar 'might not be covered under warranty'....
Hi the tpi number is 2040818/3 and relates to your exact problem

I can’t understand why you just don’t fill the tank for the sake a few £££.
I fill the tank everytime the fuel ping comes on, can’t be bothered to return back to another Petrol station a few days later to stick a bit more in. I just don’t have the time to mess around like that.

btw, might be worth driving it, like you stole it, now and again.
I often give mine the full beans on the motorway. No issue from dpfs so far, including 60k miles on the last van :thumb

I can’t understand why you just don’t fill the tank for the sake a few £££.
I fill the tank everytime the fuel ping comes on, can’t be bothered to return back to another Petrol station a few days later to stick a bit more in. I just don’t have the time to mess around like that.

Twice I have come across ludicrously high diesel prices and part filled the tank. Once on a motorway in northern Italy ~€1.80, and once on the first northbound service station on the M20 ~£1.60.

Generally I agree with you. Brim the tank. What’s the point in an 80 litre tank if you don’t use the full capacity?

Hi VW Guru,

You seem to be getting the stock message that comes from many VAG dealers these days so I would be going elsewhere with my business and certainly not protecting their interests. Thing is I have found two types of dealer front desk/aftercare merchants.

First always tries their best on your behalf, I find this with Porsche Chester for instance and more often than not they succeed but at least i know they really tried.

Then the second type who say its not covered because its less work for them and less risk they dont get paid out , I find this with Mitchel Skoda and Mitchel Lexus for instance. The attitude towards my wife was condescending at best.

With Alfa Romeo for instance Chesterare OK and Mangoletsi Knutsford the worst dealer I have ever dealt with and more that I wont say in public forum.

So the dealer still has a choice about how they wish to behave and whether they value you short or long term if at all irrespective of the pressure on them externally . Once you get past this lot then you just need to hope they can do the job.

Wish I was nearer to Guru,s outfit.

Sorry to wake this thread up, but……..

is it right that when calling the dealer for the DPF light, they insist on me bringing it in and paying £120+vat just to diagnose the problem?

Surely if the light is on then the DPF need regeneration and if it’s not, then I don’t need a visit

Comments welcomed, friendly ones favoured

is it right that when calling the dealer for the DPF light, they insist on me bringing it in and paying £120+vat just to diagnose the problem?

Surely if the light is on then the DPF need regeneration and if it’s not, then I don’t need a visit

Are you with AA / RAC ?
if so give them a call to sort it in the roadside / outside your house.

Forced Regen can also be done via Carista app / dongle

edit Carista will read and provide the fault codes (same as dealer), just an awful lot cheaper

link to further reading

Normal practice.
The DPF light coming on can be due to a fault or , and this is the grey area, driving contrary to the advice given in the Handbook ie: fuel level below 1/4 tank , short journeys etc etc.
The Dealership would attempt to charge you for Diagnostics and a Forced Regeneration if No Fault is found as they would presume you didn’t follow the Handbook instructions.
If a fault is found the the Diagnostic charge, repair etc; would all be covered under Warranty.

People driving their kids to school just down the road deserve all they get

Thank you, all, fortunately a 15 minute blast at high (ish) revs cleared the light with no limp mode

I fear this will return and admit to forgetting the 1/4 tank rule

Normal practice.
The DPF light coming on can be due to a fault or , and this is the grey area, driving contrary to the advice given in the Handbook ie: fuel level below 1/4 tank , short journeys etc etc.
The Dealership would attempt to charge you for Diagnostics and a Forced Regeneration if No Fault is found as they would presume you didn’t follow the Handbook instructions.
If a fault is found the the Diagnostic charge, repair etc; would all be covered under Warranty.
Sadly with a 67 plate and no extension, my warranty days are over

When my engine light came on (my 2008 doesn't have a DPF light) I bought this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BS7PDC2/?tag=eliteelect-21

It told me it was a DPF sensor.

Just my personal experience. This is a very easy to use code reader. You just plug it in and read the codes. At £47 it can save you money and often tell you exactly whats wrong before you go to a garage.

Have a look at the VW All In plan - warranty, servicing and VW Assist cover combined. Looks to be good value.