Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 DPF issues

Riaan de WET

Riaan de WET

Phalaborwa, Limpopo Province, South Africa
Vehicle
T6 Coast 150 4Motion
Good day all. I recently traveled to the Kgalagadi Trans frontier park in RSA and was stuck with my 2018 Cali in limp mode. No indication at ALL before it happened. After refueling start up, suddenly the glow plug indicator flashes and engine symbol indicator is on. About 45% power loss to the engine - LIMP MODE. !!!! VW road side assistance had to collect the vehicle to be repaired (What a complete disaster!! Story for another time)

My questions raised out of this experience is as follows:

T6 California Coast - DPF related questions
1. What EXACTLY are the "specific & ideal" conditions for a PASSIVE regeneration? (I.e. To PREVENT an ACTIVE or FORCED regeneration)
2. How do I know whether regeneration (PASSIVE or ACTIVE) is taking place???
-Other than rpm slightly higher than normal (How much higher??)
-Radiator fans running when engine is switched off?
3. Why not an indicator light or warning on dashboard to show that any of the regeneration processes is happening?
4. What EXACTLY are the "specific & ideal" conditions for an ACTIVE regeneration? (Is this only after the DPF symbol has appeared on dash??)
(Other than what I have listed below)?
- Fuel tank >1/4
-Towing plug disconnected (Risking NO indicator lights on caravan!!)
- Drive in SPORT mode for 15-20mins or approximately 20kms
- Rmp > 2200
5. Can I induce a FORCED or ACTIVE regeneration myself?
6. Is there a limited amount of times that a DPF can be FORCED REGENERATED??
Even by qualified VW service personnel??

I would REALLY appreciate some feedback so I can prevent this from happening again

Thank you
Riaan de WET
South Africa

Good day all. I recently traveled to the Kgalagadi Trans frontier park in RSA and was stuck with my 2018 Cali in limp mode. No indication at ALL before it happened. After refueling start up, suddenly the glow plug indicator flashes and engine symbol indicator is on. About 45% power loss to the engine - LIMP MODE. !!!! VW road side assistance had to collect the vehicle to be repaired (What a complete disaster!! Story for another time)

My questions raised out of this experience is as follows:

T6 California Coast - DPF related questions
1. What EXACTLY are the "specific & ideal" conditions for a PASSIVE regeneration? (I.e. To PREVENT an ACTIVE or FORCED regeneration)
2. How do I know whether regeneration (PASSIVE or ACTIVE) is taking place???
-Other than rpm slightly higher than normal (How much higher??)
-Radiator fans running when engine is switched off?
3. Why not an indicator light or warning on dashboard to show that any of the regeneration processes is happening?
4. What EXACTLY are the "specific & ideal" conditions for an ACTIVE regeneration? (Is this only after the DPF symbol has appeared on dash??)
(Other than what I have listed below)?
- Fuel tank >1/4
-Towing plug disconnected (Risking NO indicator lights on caravan!!)
- Drive in SPORT mode for 15-20mins or approximately 20kms
- Rmp > 2200
5. Can I induce a FORCED or ACTIVE regeneration myself?
6. Is there a limited amount of times that a DPF can be FORCED REGENERATED??
Even by qualified VW service personnel??

I would REALLY appreciate some feedback so I can prevent this from happening again

Thank you
Riaan de WET
South Africa
No knowledge of the T6 regeneration process, but if you purchase the Carista OBD dongle and download their app for Apple/ Android phones also iPad, you can examine the DPF status, see Diagnostic codes and clear them AND force a DPF regeneration at your convenience. There is an annual subscription charge. Works on many makes of vehicles .

Back