Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fresh water tank drainage

C

Calisand

Guest User
Hi, in preparation for a few days away I filled the fresh water tank for the first time to flush through. On opening the water release valve the water poured into the bumper and escaped mainly via the spate wheel area.

On checking underneath the bumper and poking my finger through the pre-drilled hole I can feel the waste pipe but am very nervous about pulling at it to try and force through hole in case I pull it away from the water tank. I’m guessing a small pet of the waste pipe should poke through the hole.

The waste water pipe does this and all discharges as you’d expect.

Is this something I should leave to the dealer?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi, in preparation for a few days away I filled the fresh water tank for the first time to flush through. On opening the water release valve the water poured into the bumper and escaped mainly via the spate wheel area.

On checking underneath the bumper and poking my finger through the pre-drilled hole I can feel the waste pipe but am very nervous about pulling at it to try and force through hole in case I pull it away from the water tank. I’m guessing a small pet of the waste pipe should poke through the hole.

Oddly enough this is all normal.

As said. Normal. Drain opens onto a plastic underbody protection plate so unless vehicle is perfectly positioned it falls onto the plate and falls to the ground wherever. At least it protects the drain from all the road dirt etc:.
Only the Dirty Water tank has a spout so it can be drained into a container or Campsite Service Drain.

Bit of a thread bump…
My fresh water tank doesn’t drain very well. I get a bit of a dribble for a while and then nothing of note. However, there’s another couple of litres, at least, in the tap. Is there a known remedy for this?

Also, fresh water tank on the display always shows 2 bars full, regardless. I’m assuming a new sensor is required - is this an easy fix?

Many thanks.

Bit of a thread bump…
My fresh water tank doesn’t drain very well. I get a bit of a dribble for a while and then nothing of note. However, there’s another couple of litres, at least, in the tap. Is there a known remedy for this?

Also, fresh water tank on the display always shows 2 bars full, regardless. I’m assuming a new sensor is required - is this an easy fix?

Many thanks.
Try removing the water filler cap. My previous Cali fresh water tank emptied quite well, my current one is like yours - just a dribble. Remove the filler cap and it gushes out like Niagara Falls

Ah! I shall give it a try, thanks a lot!

The water level sensor is pretty much useless - I think it only shows 'empty' and 'not empty', that seems to be all our 6.1 does anyway.

The water level sensor is pretty much useless - I think it only shows 'empty' and 'not empty', that seems to be all our 6.1 does anyway.
Second this. Seems binary. Full/Empty. No gradations between

Bit of a thread bump…

Many thanks.
The water level sensors are prone to develop a fault where the shaft that the float slides up and down on split, causing the dodgy level reading. It’s pretty straightforward to swop out the sensor and if I recall you can get them from https://www.lllparts.co.uk/catalogs/vw/RDW/CAMP/733/0/068/68030

I replaced mine a few years ago, its pretty straightforward, once you get the hatch off the top of the tank!! You need to buy or make up tool to get the hatch/lid off as its very tight and difficult to rotate by hand.

The water level sensors are prone to develop a fault where the shaft that the float slides up and down on split, causing the dodgy level reading. It’s pretty straightforward to swop out the sensor and if I recall you can get them from https://www.lllparts.co.uk/catalogs/vw/RDW/CAMP/733/0/068/68030
Do you have any advice for a waste water tank not draining?

The van is a month old. Only used a tank or so of FW and sink backed up.

Looking at the pipe outlet under the rear N/S, no obvious blockage. No kinks under sink.

Not sure what else to check.

(OP no intention to hi jack post, thought this was related & some relevant experience posting here)

Do you have any advice for a waste water tank not draining?

The van is a month old. Only used a tank or so of FW and sink backed up.

Looking at the pipe outlet under the rear N/S, no obvious blockage. No kinks under sink.

Not sure what else to check.

(OP no intention to hi jack post, thought this was related & some relevant experience posting here)
Have you undone the trap under the sink to see if that’s clear? They used to be very slow draining but I think they changed the design in newer vans. Once you’ve got the waste tank to a “safe” level you could open up the inspection hatch under the sink.
When the forum‘s search facility is up and running (16th April) do a search as there are quite a few posts and tips. Good luck