Fresh water tank pump - alternative

Anthony1

Anthony1

Too young to be old
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
I may need to replace my fresh water tank pump.

The one from the shop cost £40 (including postage)

Does any one know if these might also work?

At £14.78 and £10.98 repectively - Free Postage, delivery tomorrow.

Pump.jpg

Pump 2.jpg

I may need to replace my fresh water tank pump.

The one from the shop cost £40 (including postage)

Does any one know if these might also work?

At £14.78 and £10.98 repectively - Free Postage, delivery tomorrow.

View attachment 125386

View attachment 125387
As long as they have the same output and connection - Yes.
The shop sells the VW oem part so that will definitely fit and have correct output.

As long as they have the same output and connection - Yes.
The shop sells the VW oem part so that will definitely fit and have correct output.
Thank you.

I think I will go for OEM. Expensive but will fit for sure, as you say.

Last edited:
If you haven’t already ordered the OEM pump, l fitted a Whale pump in 2018 and it is still working - three years longer than the original. It was a straight swap and saved £30.

If you haven’t already ordered the OEM pump, l fitted a Whale pump in 2018 and it is still working - three years longer than the original. It was a straight swap and saved £30.
I will check it out. Thank you.

This one?

Pump 2.jpg

Personally I would stay clear of Chinese copies of the Whale pump, such as the one shown in that Amazon listing.

They may work perfectly and be as good or better than the genuine VW or Whale pumps, but who knows.

The genuine Whale pump may even be made in China, but at least you know it is designed by Whale.

I think the Whale part number needed will be a GP1002, but hopefully someone who has actually fitted one can confirm this is the correct one. They look to be available on eBay and Amazon for around £17

I checked the pump, in the van, this moring and still nothing.

But one of the 5amp fuses under the passenger seat had blown - that's the 3rd one to go.

There has to be a short somewhere. Someone suggested I test the pump with a five amp fuse (away from the car) to see if the pump's is doing it.

I will try that, if I can. Bit tricky though.

I checked the pump, in the van, this moring and still nothing.

But one of the 5amp fuses under the passenger seat had blown - that's the 3rd one to go.

There has to be a short somewhere. Someone suggested I test the pump with a five amp fuse (away from the car) to see if the pump's is doing it.

I will try that, if I can. Bit tricky though.
You have the old pump out. -tve to -tve of battery. +tve to one end/blade of the fuse and touch other end/blade of fuse to +tve of battery. If pump runs and fuse doesn't blow then pump OK and you have a short in the vehicle circuit. BUT if fuse blows fit new pump.

I finally found the problem. A section of dodgy wire, from the power plug to the pump. I cut a section off and it works. It looks like one section is burnt. It is probably where the wire goes through the grommet. But I opened it up and nothing to see. Both fuses intact.

Anyway it all seems to work now. I have ordered a 'waterproof' connector and will seal it with bathroom sealant or leak sealant. We don't drink the water from the tank anyway.

Thank you all and everyone with there ideas and solutions.

20240630_120733.jpg

20240630_121718.jpg

Back