• Start date
TwentyOneThirtyFive

TwentyOneThirtyFive

Scruffy looking Nerf herder
VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Hi,

How do I get to the electronics that run the fridge?

I removed the screws from the panels in front of the fridge (seems to be split in two, upper and lower), but can't move the panels. Are there any hidden fittings anywhere?

I'm also assuming the electronics are under the cool box as I can't see where else they could be.

Thanks,
dan

Dan,

I guess you've sorted this by now?

If you slide the bench seat all the way fwd (you may need to remove the stop from the floor channel) then you should get access to the panel below the fridge.

Remove screws, obviously, and pull out the panel. This I recall is the panel with the mess grill at the bottom? I think it's tongue and groove into the panel above. Is this making sense?
Anyway, just pop a screw driver in the mesh and pull the panel out from the bottom.

Electronics/battery charger/split charge relay etc should all be in there...along with 20yrs of fluff.

S.

Thanks Sidepod.

Haven't sorted this yet. Last weekend was sunny, so we did one of our last minute "throw some clothes in the back and head off" weekends. Then we had to remove all the dead flys from the bonnet and empty about half a tonne of Gower's finest sand from the back of than before the local VW club's show and shine...

I've realised just how inefficient our old 12v cool box is now though :)

I did try to lever the panel out with the mesh, but it wouldn't budge. Guess it is just stuck, so will try again, with a bit more welly.

Ta for the info.
dan

That's one photo you won't be posting on the blog !! :lol:

Sorted? Are we cool again?

S

Been cleaning the connections, but the problem persists, so will order a new controller.

Unfortunately discovered some rust on the inside of the wheel arch. Looks like the water pipe has had a leak some time in the past (looks patched). Not sure if it needs welding or not. Hopefully not, I'd need to remove units :(

Discovered one of the CV boots has split while I was under the van fixing an oil leak.

Not the best of van days!

Cheers for the tip on removing that panel. Came out easy as pie with my car crime coat hanger in the right place.

Never go under the van unless it's absolutely necessary!!

Last week I spotted a bolt on top of the chassis rail. Fished it out with a long mag prod and examined it.

It certainly wasn't a bog standard bolt and looked important. Obviously I started worrying and didn't sleep for two nights thinking about it. A long trans-Euro trip looming so we don't want any drama!

So , off with the undertray, up on the ramps for a good search. Nothing appeared to be missing.
I did spot a slight water leak from the take off on the cyl head. Parts on order.

Eventually in the middle of the night I sussed out where the bolt had come from. It was from part of the socket set swivel joint I used to get the oil filter off at the last service. Phew and DOH !!! :lol:

Water leaks behind the cabinets are a pain. There is quite a lot of plumbing back there for both fresh and waste water plus leaking window seals destroying the control unit for the heater......but that's another story.

S.

The joy of coldness.

I know it's linked from the T4Forum and Brickyard, but the replacement unit for a Westy is the Frigoboat E254412, available from Penguin marine refrigeration:

http://www.penguinfrigo.co.uk/shop/#E254412

Mounting holes are a bit different, plus you need to fit spade connectors, but an easy job to do.

dan

Back