Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fridges that fit to the floor rails?

E

Elrao

Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
Are there any aftermarket fridges that fit using the standard floor rails on a California (I have a T6.1 Beach Camper with 3 seat bench), or an adaptor plate that one can be mounted on?

Or do I have to strap it down somehow?

Thanks. Am also considering a slidepod for the rear, so would want something in the main cabin area (which is why it needs to be bolted down!)

Tricky to work out where to put it that still allows you to turn the seats, but the bed out, use the table etc. if you have the Slidepod taking up the area behind the seat

We strap ours to the front passenger or drivers seat base when on move. We find it easier to have to hand when stopping for lunch etc. you can just about swivel the seat. It’s a bit of a pain though.

We have camped with it in this position. It’s possible but also a bit annoying. So we move it to the boot.

Ideally. I’d not move it about but I haven’t figured how not too. We need the boot space when travelling.

Wardrobe bags could be a solution to free space but we like the light those windows provide.

This for me is the worst part of beach camping. I feel I’m forever going to the boot for things, but seems unavoidable. And we couldn’t live with an ocean as our main car.

Not sure how a sliding boot tray would work for us. We are so loaded it would never slide out! Family of 4. Likely soon to be plus dog too. Space is tight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly - we are a family of 5, hence the Beach being the only option for us. I would like to avoid having to move it in and out. Am not sure the slidepod gives me enough to warrant losing the space (I know you can use it for storage).

Exactly - we are a family of 5, hence the Beach being the only option for us. I would like to avoid having to move it in and out. Am not sure the slidepod gives me enough to warrant losing the space (I know you can use it for storage).

I’d be interested to hear how the Slidepod works out. I wanted to get one but I’m not sure if would work for us. We seem to camp in crap weather and having the tailgate open wouldn’t really work. Also not sure how you then access the boot space behind. We use every bit of boot space with really useful boxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Am in two minds about it, as they aren't cheap! We have the Beach Camper, so we do have a small cooker in the side door. Would only be for the water supply and the second burner, which makes it seem quite expensive (we already have the bed extension and the topper for the Beach).

Starting to think a fridge in the boot might be money better spent. Could put it in the front for day trips and the boot for proper camping.

Am in two minds about it, as they aren't cheap! We have the Beach Camper, so we do have a small cooker in the side door. Would only be for the water supply and the second burner, which makes it seem quite expensive (we already have the bed extension and the topper for the Beach).

Starting to think a fridge in the boot might be money better spent. Could put it in the front for day trips and the boot for proper camping.
We have one of these, takes 30 seconds to fit so can easily be shifted outside (or into an awning)if required, but bed can still be folded down when installed. Fridge lives in the boot.

We have had a Waeco cfx 28 in a slide out tray in the boot for 4 years now, for us the space in the cabin, especially floorspace when the bed is made is the worst problem. I have tried mouting it to behind the left seat but I think it takes away too much space.

how big does it need to be?

We use an Indel B TB15 that fits perfectly between the front seats without the need to strap it down. Before turning the seat you simply pull the fridge backwards and then push it back after you have turned the seat. The TB18 also works but it’s a bit taller. It’s very handy when you are on the move.

how big does it need to be?

We use an Indel B TB15 that fits perfectly between the front seats without the need to strap it down. Before turning the seat you simply pull the fridge backwards and then push it back after you have turned the seat. The TB18 also works but it’s a bit taller. It’s very handy when you are on the move.

What can you fit inside the Indel B TB15? I’ve just looked on their website and they have a B TB18 model which is the same width and depth. Just taller.

Do you think a taller version would also fit between the seats?

The tb18 does fit between the seats, it's tight.
That's a 1.5l bottle, plenty of space left to pack around it. Hope that helps. IMG_20220316_080352.jpg

The tb18 does fit between the seats, it's tight.
That's a 1.5l bottle, plenty of space left to pack around it. Hope that helps. View attachment 90411

Great! Thank you so much.

This looks big enough for what we need. I like the thought of storing it in between the seats when camping.

Do you have it in between the seats whilst driving too? If you do is it fixed down?

Yes it fits snuggly between the seats and there is no need to clamp it down. Releasing the handbrake with your left hand can be a little bit awkward. We use the shoulder strap to pull the fridge backwards to enable the front seats to be turned and then just slide it back again.

I can see the TB18 model for £360, which I think is a good price. If it were available when I was looking I would have bought it, but I could only find the TB15 at the time. You are not going to get a weeks worth of food in it but for what we need it’s great. It goes down to -20 so works well for ice creams on day trips too . Also has a low power consumption compared to larger models.

Ours is not intrusive at night time when the compressor is running either.

It might be worth looking at some of the marine/sailing websites as that's how I got mine. They were a lot cheaper that other sites, think it was called proteum.

It might be worth looking at some of the marine/sailing websites as that's how I got mine. They were a lot cheaper that other sites, think it was called proteum.
Thumbs up for Proteum. That’s where I got mine too

Our CFX28 goes in one of three places.

1. Behind the front passenger seat, held in place with a strap around the front seat.
2. Under the multiflex, also held in place with a strap.
3. Externally in the driveaway awning.

When we go away- family of four plus dog- we find the space in the Beach boot cavernous.

We remove seats six and seven and slide the bench seat to the correct place on the rails for lowering into the bed. Into the boot slides four custom made plywood crates, a fibreglass box containing two 907 gas bottles, all covered by a plywood kitchen table at the same level as the multiflex. Under the multiflex itself goes four Muji plastic drawers.

The only things that go above the multiflex and kitchen table are the mattress, bedding and driveaway awning.

Photos here:

Last edited:
Are there any aftermarket fridges that fit using the standard floor rails on a California (I have a T6.1 Beach Camper with 3 seat bench), or an adaptor plate that one can be mounted on?

Or do I have to strap it down somehow?
I have a VW Climabox with rail mount for sale if you're interested

78D22FB5-9482-4278-A767-1B7C3AD79E3F.jpg

5FB873A0-13E8-43FC-9EE9-A0D07B0B72CD.jpg

IMG_9623.jpg

I have a VW Climabox with rail mount for sale if you're interested
For clarity, the Climabox is a cool/warm box and not a compressor fridge, which is what I believe Elrao said they are looking for.

For clarity, the Climabox is a cool/warm box and not a compressor fridge, which is what I believe Elrao said they are looking for.
Yes, ideally. Just hoped there was basically a compressor version of the vw one that goes on the rails

Retro fit of Dometic product

92330164-0A6E-401F-985F-00551DA42250.png

Last edited:
Back