Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Front Bleepers Not Working

DavidofHook

DavidofHook

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Afternoon all,
I have a weird problem. I had to have some scrapes attended to be a body shop ( don’t ask but keep away from big concrete columns in car parks.)
When the van returned it was brilliant, good finish, cleaner than I can get it as my neighbours rather cruelly remarked.

But, the warning bleepers at the front were not working when you approached something. But, strangely, when I got back in, switch on the ignition and they often will sound. The ones on each side seem to work ok but not the centre ones.

The bodyshop had done some work to the front bumper and, as the bleepers were operating when the van when in, the cause must be related to what they did.
The work is guaranteed and I have been back once and they assured me that they are now working and demonstrated this by walking by the side at the front which did indeed work but stupidly we did not check those directly in front.

Has anybody any ideas on what the problem could be?
It would be good if I could go there with some idea, they are not unhelpful.

Afternoon all,
I have a weird problem. I had to have some scrapes attended to be a body shop ( don’t ask but keep away from big concrete columns in car parks.)
When the van returned it was brilliant, good finish, cleaner than I can get it as my neighbours rather cruelly remarked.

But, the warning bleepers at the front were not working when you approached something. But, strangely, when I got back in, switch on the ignition and they often will sound. The ones on each side seem to work ok but not the centre ones.

The bodyshop had done some work to the front bumper and, as the bleepers were operating when the van when in, the cause must be related to what they did.
The work is guaranteed and I have been back once and they assured me that they are now working and demonstrated this by walking by the side at the front which did indeed work but stupidly we did not check those directly in front.

There is a plug connection for each Parking Sensor, are they plugged in?

Afternoon all,

As WG states, check the connector, most likely cause, make sure it is pushed fully in.

Failing that have they repainted the bumper and perhaps resprayed the sensor(s)?

These sensors are sensitive to the thickness of paint applied to them and it can cause incorrect response.

Only other consideration is how have the cured the paint ie. heat and if so was the sensor installed, again this might have created the issue.

A

Not sure Welshgas but the diagnostics should tell us on Wednesday. They can’t be totally unplugged because they occasionally operate when I reverse away from an obstruction! But it could be that they aren’t proper plugged in couldn’t it? Just giving occasional contact

As WG states, check the connector, most likely cause, make sure it is pushed fully in.

Failing that have they repainted the bumper and perhaps resprayed the sensor(s)?

These sensors are sensitive to the thickness of paint applied to them and it can cause incorrect response.

Only other consideration is how have the cured the paint ie. heat and if so was the sensor installed, again this might have created the issue.

A

Mentions thickness, respraying and max temp.

With the ignition on put your ear close to each sensor and you should hearing it clicking if its working.

Put the vehicle in reverse , whilst engine is running, front and rear sensors should now be active, put the vehicle in park, get an assistant to walk in front of each sensor in turn to check the operation of each.

do / did your front sensors work without selecting reverse ? (I.e selecting reverse gear livens up the sensors, otherwise they do not work? ) :

The PDC / rears / fronts aren't active all the time.

The system starts up on putting in reverse or by pressing the PDC button.

Put the vehicle in reverse , whilst engine is running, front and rear sensors should now be active, put the vehicle in park, get an assistant to walk in front of each sensor in turn to check the operation of each.

do / did your front sensors work without selecting reverse ? (I.e selecting reverse gear livens up the sensors, otherwise they do not work? ) :

The PDC / rears / fronts aren't active all the time.

The system starts up on putting in reverse or by pressing the PDC button.

Thank you for this. I have carried out various tests with temporary barriers and my neighbour to help and then read your post. I had failed to apply the maxim, ‘if all else fails read the instructions’ :headbang Having read the handbook I think I may have inadvertently switch off the system by pressing the P switch which, after only 10 years, I now know what it does!:rolleyes:
I think I‘m nearly there although in the past I am sure I have never needed to use the switch or reverse to operate the system so I need to do a run to check. ? Do I need a training course??:bananadance2
But, it looks as if the body shop is off the hook and :thanks to all for your help

Back