Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Front Blind closure problem

C

CaliforniaCylus

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
The front blinds used to close and attach together in the middle. After a few weeks of use in total, there's now a cm gap between the two handles.

The problem appears to be the spigots which under heat and tension have started to a) Bend a little and b) pull out of the had handle slot on one side

Does anyone know if you can replace the spigots (I will try under warranty but that's a faff) or even the slide-on handle.

We've secured them with a bulldog clip in the middle which at least stops the risk of an uncontrolled rewind of the blind since the "bent" spigots no longer stay firmly in the fold-down flaps. Picture below.

1000004992.jpg

The front blinds used to close and attach together in the middle. After a few weeks of use in total, there's now a cm gap between the two handles.

The problem appears to be the spigots which under heat and tension have started to a) Bend a little and b) pull out of the had handle slot on one side

Does anyone know if you can replace the spigots (I will try under warranty but that's a faff) or even the slide-on handle.

We've secured them with a bulldog clip in the middle which at least stops the risk of an uncontrolled rewind of the blind since the "bent" spigots no longer stay firmly in the fold-down flaps. Picture below.

View attachment 128882
I had exactly the same problem and used the same temporary fix (clothes peg). But this irritated me. I thought to try VW for a replacement handle, but then did the following fix instead which has so far been permanent.

I got two small soft rubber wedges off eBay and used them to hold the blind open. Then carefully examined the top (spigot end) of the handle and saw it was coming away from the stem below slightly. I then used jointers mate (superglue plus catalyst) to ‘re weld’ the spigot part flat to the stem holding the parts firmly together whilst the glue set.

This was 3 months ago, the blinds have been used almost daily since in hot conditions and the fix seems permanent, the spigot staying square to the stem.

I had exactly the same problem and used the same temporary fix (clothes peg). But this irritated me. I thought to try VW for a replacement handle, but then did the following fix instead which has so far been permanent.

I got two small soft rubber wedges off eBay and used them to hold the blind open. Then carefully examined the top (spigot end) of the handle and saw it was coming away from the stem below slightly. I then used jointers mate (superglue plus catalyst) to ‘re weld’ the spigot part flat to the stem holding the parts firmly together whilst the glue set.

This was 3 months ago, the blinds have been used almost daily since in hot conditions and the fix seems permanent, the spigot staying square to the stem.
I have a tube of CT1. I did wonder about trying to re-glue with that because I suspect the replacements will fail similarly

I have a tube of CT1. I did wonder about trying to re-glue with that because I suspect the replacements will fail similarly
I would prefer jointer’s mate or similar two-part, as this welds the plastic and seems to bind better than superglue alone - but I don’t know enough about CT1 to say either way if it would work as well.

I would prefer jointer’s mate or similar two-part, as this welds the plastic and seems to bind better than superglue alone - but I don’t know enough about CT1 to say either way if it would work as well.
Similar I'm not familiar with jointers mate. Google pulls up a lot of options so if you had a link to the one which worked for you that would be great.

Similar I'm not familiar with jointers mate. Google pulls up a lot of options so if you had a link to the one which worked for you that would be great.
Sorry, ‘Joiner’s Mate’ is a better search.

Several products on Amazon, I might order the Mitre Mate by Ever Build.

My carpenter always calls it “jointers mate” and I got into the habit.

The key bit is to get the activator with the superglue and follow the instructions (activator one side superglue the other). Not easy with the close ‘near joint’ you are trying to straighten but just spray the activator in one direction with the joint wedged slightly open perhaps with a chisel shape sharpened matchstick or penknife, give it a few moment to dry (visibly) then pack in the glue and hold firmly together for a few minutes. I wear silicone glove to stop being fixed to the plastic! Then after a few minutes I went over the joint from all side with a little more superglue to increase the weld.

Last edited:
The issue is the fabric/sheet in the rails have worked their way up too far. The rarely documented solution is to pull them down (towards the dashboard) in the rails (there is a fair amount of movement) on both blinds. This shifts the pulling force to the bottom stationary locator holes.

@CC44853 I had previously done as you suggest too, and agree it helps, but my spigot was tilted (and only partially joined to the stem below) as per the @CaliforniaCylus photo in #1 (same LH side too) so that just moving the blind down was insufficient, a superglue fix as in #2 was also necessary.

Are you both still in warranty?
Mines still in warranty and booked in for stuff in October. I may try that route first but it's just gonna happen again unless it's been redesigned

These blinds are good in theory but poorly executed. Ours were replaced under warranty a few months ago but we no longer use them. Instead I ordered these windscreen and side window blinds from Germany. Seconds to fit, stored in the pop top.

@subthree, I agree those project camper blinds are great, though not cheap and a little bulky. Pop top storage is good, but I use the original blinds all the time in summer when I park up, and don't really want to have to raise the roof.

I do agree that the design is clever but operation is fiddly - though less so the more you do it.

Last edited:
These blinds are good in theory but poorly executed. Ours were replaced under warranty a few months ago but we no longer use them. Instead I ordered these windscreen and side window blinds from Germany. Seconds to fit, stored in the pop top.

I fully agree and have also bought the Project Camper front blind. It is a really well made bit of kit and easily stores on the bed when the roof is down.

The VW blinds could have been really good but their design is too flawed.

The built in blinds on the T6 are a PITA.
We use the fabric one supplied with the T5.1

Totally agree - they are the biggest faf in the van- surely better solutions after all these years … I no longer use them … just the outside blackout covers

Back